hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: E10 Petrol

E10 Petrol

Anybody noticed a bigger drop in fuel consumption than the 1 or 2% that has been mentioned? I've just used my second tank and have averaged 3.6% less mpg than my previous. Same routine journeys as before.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody noticed a bigger drop in fuel consumption than the 1 or 2% that has been mentioned? I've just used my second tank and have averaged 3.6% less mpg than my previous. Same routine journeys as before.

I think you're right. I think my tank is going down quicker after switching to E10. Maybe its just me though. I used to get roughly 90 miles from full, as in squeezing in as much fuel as possible without it spilling out the tank before a bar would go down. Now I think I'm only getting 75-80 miles before going down a bar.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I think you're right. I think my tank is going down quicker after switching to E10. Maybe its just me though. I used to get roughly 90 miles from full, as in squeezing in as much fuel as possible without it spilling out the tank before a bar would go down. Now I think I'm only getting 75-80 miles before going down a bar.

Looking like another tax increase dressed up as as saving the planet.

And pushing us to electric cars in the process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Apparently bad for car pre 2011 , think I’ll move to the expensive fuel 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Squealing pig View Post
    Apparently bad for car pre 2011 , think I’ll move to the expensive fuel 🤔
    I've a Golf mk4 and have to use Superunleaded instead of the new E10, it's around 10p a litre dearer, annoying but not that bad as I only really use my car for granddad duties on a Monday.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I've a Golf mk4 and have to use Superunleaded instead of the new E10, it's around 10p a litre dearer, annoying but not that bad as I only really use my car for granddad duties on a Monday.
    Great motor, our last mk4 in the family has just gone on to the great showroom in the sky.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Great motor, our last mk4 in the family has just gone on to the great showroom in the sky.
    Thinking of getting another motor, last years MOT was a set of wipers, this year was new discs, back exhaust box and a leak in the water pump, not far off a grand, cars an 02 plate with just 69k on the clock, so a cracking wee runner. There's talk of a ban on cars in Edinburgh under a certain age but when I look at 2nd hand cars around 12-14 plate they have 50k on the mileage, annoys me I have a cracking wee car with plenty life in the engine and may have to get rid just to drive into town.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Like electric cars and low emission zones, it’s another chance for politicians and people to feel smug about what they can be seen to be doing rather than the actual overall effect that it will have.

The answer to all of this is less cars being built, and less cars on the road. You do that by investing heavily in public transport so it’s clean, efficient, regular, reliable and cheap.

We all want to see the climate catastrophe reversed but scrapping a whole load of cars and replacing them with more isn’t the answer at all.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Like electric cars and low emission zones, it’s another chance for politicians and people to feel smug about what they can be seen to be doing rather than the actual overall effect that it will have.

The answer to all of this is less cars being built, and less cars on the road. You do that by investing heavily in public transport so it’s clean, efficient, regular, reliable and cheap.

We all want to see the climate catastrophe reversed but scrapping a whole load of cars and replacing them with more isn’t the answer at all.
    Make electric cars affordable. I'd buy one but I can't pay 30k for a new car and second hand ones don't cut it yet. I used to drive miles and miles for work and I've got a diesel, I'd change it for the sake of the environment but electric isn't a serious option yet, So I'll be driving that for a number of years yet

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Make electric cars affordable. I'd buy one but I can't pay 30k for a new car and second hand ones don't cut it yet. I used to drive miles and miles for work and I've got a diesel, I'd change it for the sake of the environment but electric isn't a serious option yet, So I'll be driving that for a number of years yet

What about the people who can only spend a few hundred quid on a car? What about those who wouldn’t be able to get finance?

If you want to dramatically cut carbon quickly the answer is to get as many cars off the road as possible. Politically it would be hugely unpopular so we end up with completely half baked measures.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    What about the people who can only spend a few hundred quid on a car? What about those who wouldn’t be able to get finance?

If you want to dramatically cut carbon quickly the answer is to get as many cars off the road as possible. Politically it would be hugely unpopular so we end up with completely half baked measures.
    Yes but the fact is many cannot and won't give up cars. Electric vehicles are a good solution but they aren't affordable.

Public transport is a major issue and you are right it needs addressed but alongside a serious option for those that can't or won't give up their car. I couldn't give up mine but I'd absolutely be willing to change it it was affordable.

Manchester for example has a superb tram network but it stops around midnight and even the weekend is only slightly later. That's no good for people who work shifts. The train network for people that commute into the city from Cheshire or Merseyside etc is awful and pre covid was plagued with issues.

All of that needs sorted cos it's only one city and its all over the UK

Reading reports of up to 7% less MPG. I think that qualifies as definitely noticeable.

I’m still trying to work out if it’s affecting my cars mpg, it’s usuallly pretty poor so sometimes hard to tell.

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    It will affect MPG, I sometimes use E60 in my car coupled with a specific map for that fuel. It gives noticeably more power but the MPG dramatically drops even with normal driving. I'm not sure how much going from E5 to E10 will affect MPG but it will drop it.

I barely do 20mpg around town so will be marginal. On a Highlands run in a few weeks so will get a better idea but even then 35 is good.

Blog Entries
    BBC reporter on the present petrol problem.

93FDFDE2-E92F-413D-B0A0-03EEA35FBBCD.jpg

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Certainly think I am getting less mileage with new e10 petrol

Just got through a tank of E5 super unleaded, got 10% better fuel consumption than E10 for 5% more money and no spluttering engine.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    E10 is a higher grade fuel and better for your car, unfortunately it was always expensive.
    E10 is the new crap higher ethanol lower octane that is supposed to be better for the planet. E5 used to be be regular unleaded, now it's only available as octane 99 super unleaded.

E10 is the new crap higher ethanol lower octane that is supposed to be better for the planet. E5 used to be be regular unleaded, now it's only available as octane 99 super unleaded.
    Of course, I'm getting mixed up with super unleaded, choked with the cold and constant coughing has made the brain clouded.😁👍

My car is definitely getting less mpg. Usually average the low 30’s mpg now it’s around the high 20’s.

Colder weather is going to make it worse as well.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I know this is about E10 but.....****ing E5 is now superfuel and is £1:50 a litre. It wasn't super 3 months ago and why the **** is it £1:50??? Over 20 quid to fill up my bike as it doesn't like E10. Just a disgrace