hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2021 US Open

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Djokovic losing the plot and smashing his racket. Just switched on so no idea what it was about. No exactly a great example to any young folk watching. Hope he loses.
    Did the same at the Olympics a few weeks back when he knew his hopes were in tatters. Sore loser basically and I was glad to see him fail in his both his golden slam and calendar slam bids.

Good to see Andy Murray showing some strong singles form this week.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Raducanu on the comeback after losing first set. Not the spark we saw in the US Open though.

Andy Murray currently on BT sport 1 in an ATP 250 tournament in Stockholm.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    He won the 1st set 6-1

United we stand here....

Murray now against Jannick Sinner in round 2. Set and a break up, leading 5-3.

Playing really well. Sinner is top seed here.

Breaks again and wins 7-6, 6-3.

Impressive stuff. Really rolled back the years watching that.

Playing Tommy Paul in the QF but not at the races so far and lost the first set 6-2.

Will need a bit of a turnaround to win this one.

The venue they’re playing in looks like something from the 1970s Soviet Union.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The venue they’re playing in looks like something from the 1970s Soviet Union.
    I'm trying to work out why the young male ball kids seem to be wearing massive bow ties. Very odd!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I'm trying to work out why the young male ball kids seem to be wearing massive bow ties. Very odd!
    They obviously can’t catch the ball either because they’ve got wee nets. Murray breaks to go 4-2 up in the 2nd.

United we stand here....

Murray levels 1-1

United we stand here....

Murray lost 2-1

United we stand here....

Australian Open confirms that unvaccinated players will not be eligible to play in the 2022 tournament.

LTA have said 80 of the top 100 players are vaccinated so as it stands 20 will be missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Australian Open confirms that unvaccinated players will not be eligible to play in the 2022 tournament.

LTA have said 80 of the top 100 players are vaccinated so as it stands 20 will be missing out.
    Rules Djokovic out then? I read he 'does not wish to disclose' his vaccination status and he's previously spoken out against them.

Novax ruled out of this year's US Open:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ovid-rcna39069

As the only unvaccinated player in both events I'm unclear why he was allowed to play the French Open and Wimbledon TBH.

OK for Medvedev to play and likely win despite Russia's pulverising Ukraine.

Novak hugs and kisses everyone at Wimbledon and Paris with no apparent problem but USA bars him.

Rules are rules I guess. Maybe they should sort out their firearms problem first though. I'd say Covid is lower down the list of priorities at the moment.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

Novak hugs and kisses everyone at Wimbledon and Paris with no apparent problem but USA bars him.

Rules are rules I guess. Maybe they should sort out their firearms problem first though. I'd say Covid is lower down the list of priorities at the moment.
    America has the right to say the vaccine status needed for entry, the same as other nations are doing. Sports people shouldn't be treated differently.

Or maybe Novax should just get vaccinated like the rest of his peers.
    Last edited by He's here!; 23-07-2022 at 06:05 PM.

I believe Medvedev should be allowed to play, I thought Wimbledon's ban this year was absurd and made even more so by the fact that a Russian born player won the women's title.

Djokovic probably doesn't pose much of a threat but the same rules apply to everyone and that's the way it should be. He seems to be at peace with the idea that he won't be allowed into the USA and is prepared to give up the possibility of winning a major for the sake of his beliefs.

I strongly disagree with those beliefs but that's fair enough in my book.

strange take on things. Afaik, medvedev hasn’t endorsed what Russia are doing, you think he should be a restricted from earning a living because of where he was born?

also, firearms have been an issue in America for a very long time, should they ignore all other issues until they resolve that?

Djokovic has very publicly made his position clear, and knows there will be some consequences with his choices around vaccination. Whether he hugs and kisses people with no problem at Wimbledon isn’t really the point, and by the same token, he organised a tournament during the pandemic which caused a number of people to contract covid.

The fact there was ‘no apparent problem’ is due to almost all of those people being vaccinated, not through any of ND’s actions, your stance is akin to saying that there’s no issue if someone causes an accident through drunk driving, because the folk in the other car weren’t badly injured as they had seatbelts on

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    strange take on things. Afaik, medvedev hasn’t endorsed what Russia are doing, you think he should be a restricted from earning a living because of where he was born?

also, firearms have been an issue in America for a very long time, should they ignore all other issues until they resolve that?

Djokovic has very publicly made his position clear, and knows there will be some consequences with his choices around vaccination. Whether he hugs and kisses people with no problem at Wimbledon isn’t really the point, and by the same token, he organised a tournament during the pandemic which caused a number of people to contract covid.

The fact there was ‘no apparent problem’ is due to almost all of those people being vaccinated, not through any of ND’s actions, your stance is akin to saying that there’s no issue if someone causes an accident through drunk driving, because the folk in the other car weren’t badly injured as they had seatbelts on
    And despite his supposedly heartfelt apology for that he then proceeded to swan around Europe while he had Covid:

Djokovic Covid timeline: Did he break rules after testing positive? - BBC News

Of course there remains significant doubt as to whether he actually had Covid at all:

Djokovic Covid tests were valid, Serbian officials say - BBC News

The guy's a preening narcissist who can have no complaints at being banned from the US Open.