hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

RIP Charlie Watts

Away to play his drumkit in the sky. A true rock legend.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Away to play his drumkit in the sky. A true rock legend.
    I just saw that, really sad news.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I just saw that, really sad news.
    Yes, a true legend has left the stage. The Stones of the late sixties and early seventies were a truly great band. They went on far too long, in my humble opinion, and became a parody of themselves as old men, but in their pomp they were just brilliant.

Yes, a true legend has left the stage. The Stones of the late sixties and early seventies were a truly great band. They went on far too long, in my humble opinion, and became a parody of themselves as old men, but in their pomp they were just brilliant.
    Definitely, they’re arguably the best band of all time. Not everyone would agree they are, but few would argue that they’re in the conversation. I loved some of the stories about him, he was quite eccentric.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Definitely, they’re arguably the best band of all time. Not everyone would agree they are, but few would argue that they’re in the conversation. I loved some of the stories about him, he was quite eccentric.
    Aye, Charlie was his own man who avoided the crazy life of the other Stones. A humble, private guy who managed to keep a separate life amidst the madness. He had no interest in being a star and just loved playing.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Sad news, I remember using a variety of household items to try to recreate the intro to Honky Tonk Women when I was a 10 year old.

RIP Charlie.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Thats a big name and a big loss. RIP Charlie.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Aye, Charlie was his own man who avoided the crazy life of the other Stones. A humble, private guy who managed to keep a separate life amidst the madness. He had no interest in being a star and just loved playing.
    I remember Ronnie Wood on top gear telling a story about him having a few classic cars in his house, he didn’t have a driving license, but he liked to get dressed up and sit in them with his driving gloves on and just listen to the engine. Quality stuff

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Absolutely gutted, I missed out on tickets when the played Murrayfield in the late 90's.
    I eventually got tickets to see them in Tampa last July, but then Covid hit.
    Charlie was, although subtly, an amazing drummer. Discretely (and sometimes not so) dropped his jazz rhythms in to many tracks. Along with Micks voice and Keiths guitar, one of the big talents that made the Stones standout without peers.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I was never in love with that era of guitar music but took advantage of the 'lucky dip' tickets to see them at Murrayfield back in 2018. Blown away by how good they were, a band at that age have no right to be as good as they were.

A very talented drummer and from all accounts one of the good guys.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I was never in love with that era of guitar music but took advantage of the 'lucky dip' tickets to see them at Murrayfield back in 2018. Blown away by how good they were, a band at that age have no right to be as good as they were.

A very talented drummer and from all accounts one of the good guys.
    I was there. Like you, I went without any expectations.

The way Jagger played the crowd was phenomenal. And the blues improv by Keef and Ronnie stunning.

I do, though, get a bit pissed off with comments about their age. They were one of the first, back in the day when rock n roll was itself very young. Who is to say at what age they "should" stop doing what they do? Particularly if, as in their case, they're still doing it well.

I listened to Last Word on the radio tonight who had managed to quickly get together a nice eulogy. Apparently he was always slightly behind the beat, unusually and deliberately, which gave the band its distinctive sound. They played Honky Tonk Woman and it was clear, what an intro.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I listened to Last Word on the radio tonight who had managed to quickly get together a nice eulogy. Apparently he was always slightly behind the beat, unusually and deliberately, which gave the band its distinctive sound. They played Honky Tonk Woman and it was clear, what an intro.
    I read a quote from a drummer tonight.

"You listen to their songs and think "that's easy. I can play that". And then you try it, and it sounds nothing like them."

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I was there. Like you, I went without any expectations.

The way Jagger played the crowd was phenomenal. And the blues improv by Keef and Ronnie stunning.

I do, though, get a bit pissed off with comments about their age. They were one of the first, back in the day when rock n roll was itself very young. Who is to say at what age they "should" stop doing what they do? Particularly if, as in their case, they're still doing it well.
    There comes an age where a voice is no longer nearly as good as it used to be, the fingers don't move as quickly, someone can't hit the drums as hard etc. and although technical ability can oversee some of that, you just have to look at Paul McCartney nowadays to understand what I'm on about.

I also seen Kris Kristofferson in 2017 and he was absolutely dreadful.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Such a cool guy. Seen them a couple of times thankfully was at the Murrayfield gig a few years ago.

RIP Charlie

I've always appreciated the Rolling Stones without being a huge fan. I think you can appreciate their musicality and craft without loving them.

I'm sure others are more able and/or inclined to comment on Charlie Watts the drummer. Personally I loved his dress sense. He was a man who knew how to dress. Whether dressed up to the nines in his Saville row suits or going smart casual, he was effortlessly stylish.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!

Superlative. RIP Charlie Watts.