hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Allan

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He got a full half on Saturday. You are not going to drop Doyle, Magennis or Newell to give him 90 minutes. JR sees him everyday. He looks a touch overweight and not as athletic as he did at his peak. I don't what that is down to.But he does not look capable of the athletic skillful play he is once capable of. Sadly but that is the reality.
    Are you at the wind up?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    He got a full half on Saturday. You are not going to drop Doyle, Magennis or Newell to give him 90 minutes. JR sees him everyday. He looks a touch overweight and not as athletic as he did at his peak. I don't what that is down to. But he does not look capable of the athletic skillful play he is once capable of. Sadly but that is the reality.
    He had a year without match time at Celtic and a year lost with hibs. It's clear he is a fitness fanatic, so the overweight stuff is nuts.
    Training on your own in the gym changes your body shape and he looked like he had too much muscle and too top heavy on his return. Matches and football training will sort that and make him more lithe again. I can already see a difference.
    Each to their own, but I'm backing scott allan and wish others would too.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    Allan. You are fairly vocal on any thread about him. I do wonder why so many seem so content with it not working out. Surely he is worth backing and not writing off? He is a special talent and only 29.
    You couldn’t be any further from the truth. You only need to go back further in this thread to see what I think of Scott Allan (or countless other threads for that matter.) On his game Scott Allan is one of my favourite ever Hibs players. If it was up to me we’d build a team around him, or least would have before his heart condition.

I’d like nothing more than see him get a run of games and get back to his best. Sadly I don’t believe that will ever happen with us and the player himself realises he needs to move if he’s to get any decent game time.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Supposedly Ross isn’t that much of a fan of Scott Allan… thinks he is lazy.

Scott’s health issues are also still a factor in his game time and perhaps the perception he is lazy.
    My mates cousin heard this from someone who works beside someone who is mates with a reliable source.

Lots of debate pro’s and cons etc but it’s not about the player for me it’s about the team.

A fit Scott Allan on his game starts every game for me however we all know his had issues etc with his health.

Unfortunately Scott Allan on gets cameos because of this and whilst he is frustrated he will know this.

We have stood by him through this but I want a team of players that can bust a gut every single game and Harry and chase everything.

This is what JR wants and it’s clear Scotty is able to do this.

I really wish he’d not had these issues because he’s a game changer! His drive etc with the ball is what makes him who he is. Sadly I think that’s lacking.

Harsh maybe but I’m thinking of the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Some amount of outright lies gets peddled on here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Lots of debate pro’s and cons etc but it’s not about the player for me it’s about the team.

A fit Scott Allan on his game starts every game for me however we all know his had issues etc with his health.

Unfortunately Scott Allan on gets cameos because of this and whilst he is frustrated he will know this.

We have stood by him through this but I want a team of players that can bust a gut every single game and Harry and chase everything.

I really wish he’d not had these issues because he’s a game changer! His drive etc with the ball is what makes him who he is. Sadly I think that’s lacking.

Personally I prefer somebody who can play football. We’ve had plenty of willing hard working runners over the years,Gogic is a good example,but too few like Allan who can win a game with a moment of magic.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Personally I prefer somebody who can play football. We’ve had plenty of willing hard working runners over the years,Gogic is a good example,but too few like Allan who can win a game with a moment of magic.
    Yep. That's why I watch hibs and these mavericks over the years is what makes our club special. Being Aberdeen doesnt interest me. If we cant find room for Allan then there is something wrong.

So do I but l we work hard as a team and maybe Harry and chase is the wrong wording but I think you get my gist. JDH has an engine and gets about and so does Magennis. I’m not sure Scotty is the Scotty of old. His game is about drive etc and obviously the killer final ball.

As it stands Scott doesn’t start for me if everyone is fit. I’m not slagging him or saying he’s a poor player when that is indeed not the case.

I really want him to get back to his old self but I’m not sure that’s going to happen. It’s clear that JR won’t start him so if he can get more game time elsewhere he needs to move on.

I see mentioning Gogic is the newest go to when people want to complain about Scott not starting games. It’s starting to rival ‘he’s no Ross’s type eh player’.

What about the fact the we have Newell, JDH, Magennis and Boyle in midfield who are pretty much decent at most things and importantly better options than Allan at the moment?

We know he can win games with moments of magic but the team needs to be in these games to give him that platform. It’s looking like Allan playing is more important to some than anything else. You’d think we were bottom of the league at the moment.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I must admit that my heart sank initially last night when I saw that Scott could have been leaving us, though overall I was probably more disappointed that we didn’t succeed in our opportunistic attempt to get McGrath.

FWIW I thought Scott did fine on Saturday, had to battle away in midfield quite a bit but I thought he did that pretty well - and we got that one beautiful moment that led to a very good second goal.

Even if he can’t contribute anything like he used to, he can still make a telling contribution in his remaining time with us.

Sadly I think last night was our one chance to get McGrath though.

So do I but l we work hard as a team and maybe Harry and chase is the wrong wording but I think you get my gist. JDH has an engine and gets about and so does Magennis. I’m not sure Scotty is the Scotty of old. His game is about drive etc and obviously the killer final ball.

As it stands Scott doesn’t start for me if everyone is fit. I’m not slagging him or saying he’s a poor player when that is indeed not the case.

I really want him to get back to his old self but I’m not sure that’s going to happen. It’s clear that JR won’t start him so if he can get more game time elsewhere he needs to move on.

Yeh I agree with that as well. It's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    I see mentioning Gogic is the newest go to when people want to complain about Scott not starting games. It’s starting to rival ‘he’s no Ross’s type eh player’.

What about the fact the we have Newell, JDH, Magennis and Boyle in midfield who are pretty much decent at most things and importantly better options than Allan at the moment?

We know he can win games with moments of magic but the team needs to be in these games to give him that platform. It’s looking like Allan playing is more important to some than anything else. You’d think we were bottom of the league at the moment.
    Think you've missed the point. I mentioned Gogic because he is the type of player that Aldo mentioned in his quote.Nothing to do with the reason Allan doesn't play.

Left by mutual consent!

Scott Allan has hardly played a game in a year. He needs a run of games in the team. Possibly 6 or 7 in a row.

Otherwise how are we ever going to know if he can get back to his best. You can be fit but you also need to be match fit.

Too many people on here assuming he can’t get back to previous levels.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    Yep. That's why I watch hibs and these mavericks over the years is what makes our club special. Being Aberdeen doesnt interest me. If we cant find room for Allan then there is something wrong.
    Being hard working and a game changer aren't mutually exclusive. Chic Charnley worked pretty hard and is far more a maverick than Scott Allan ever will be, a better player too. Boyle tries to take on players at almost every opportunity but he doesn't watch the game if he loses the ball. Newell and Magennis are both creative and capable of game winning passes or finishes but they work their socks off.

I think you can carry one "maverick" in a team if you struggle for creativity and have lots of players willing to do a shift. That is Murphy before he got injured but we haven't lacked creativity from other areas. Allan may get his chance no Jamie seems to be injured but I can't see both of them in the side and definitely not against other top six sides. Murphy doesn't work hard enough off the ball for me but he works harder than Allan imo. He also plays his more risky balls in the oppositions third where they are unlikely to hurt us if they don't come off. That is why if Scottie does play I want him as advanced as possible because he gives the ball away making unnecessarily difficult passes far too often. He doesn't play percentages which is fine that far up the park but not so much in the middle of the field.

It was a good back heel on Saturday but having watched the highlights he got in Magennis' way in a similar position a wee while before that and the best bit of skill on show was Boyle's finish, top drawer. It will be fascinating to see if Allan starts against Hearts. If Newell or Murphy are fit I can't see it and it wouldn't surprise me if Gogic is next in line for that fixture if those two can't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Scott Allan has hardly played a game in a year. He needs a run of games in the team. Possibly 6 or 7 in a row.

Otherwise how are we ever going to know if he can get back to his best. You can be fit but you also need to be match fit.

I said it in my previous post, who drops out for him?? JDH, Magennis, Newell. If those 3 are fit they start for me.

I won’t assume I’ll say it and it maybe only my opinion but I don’t think Scott Allan can get back to where he was previously. Fantastic outstanding player with drive, quality and the ability to change a game by himself.

I don’t want to write off off but I don’t think he can get back to those levels.

I hope I’m wrong but I cannot see it.

More than happy to eat humble pie and be proved wrong!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Yes he has?

He was on loan at Inverness last season and he had plenty game time in pre-season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Yes he has?

He was on loan at Inverness last season and he had plenty game time in pre-season.
    You’re not suggesting a few pre season friendlies and 5 games is the same tempo as playing for Hibs every week.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    You’re not suggesting a few pre season friendlies and 5 games is the same tempo as playing for Hibs every week.
    You said he has hardly played a game in a year, that’s not true.

He was fit and playing games at the end of last season and he’s then had a full pre-season. He’s also had a decent amount of competitive game time this season.

Left by mutual consent!
    I said it in my previous post, who drops out for him?? JDH, Magennis, Newell. If those 3 are fit they start for me.

I won’t assume I’ll say it and it maybe only my opinion but I don’t think Scott Allan can get back to where he was previously. Fantastic outstanding player with drive, quality and the ability to change a game by himself.

I don’t want to write off off but I don’t think he can get back to those levels.

I hope I’m wrong but I cannot see it.

More than happy to eat humble pie and be proved wrong!

You may be correct but we’ll never know until he gets the chance for a run of games in the 1st team. As I said earlier, a fit SA is a better player than all 3 you mentioned. They are good players but SA a level above.

I’d play Allan behind/beside Nisbet, Scott on Left and Boyle on right. Can only try it whilst Newell currently injured.

You may be correct but we’ll never know until he gets the chance for a run of games in the 1st team. As I said earlier, a fit SA is a better player than all 3 you mentioned. They are good players but SA a level above.

I’d play Allan behind/beside Nisbet, Scott on Left and Boyle on right. Can only try it whilst Newell currently injured.
    Not sure he’s fit enough to start a run of games imho. If he was up to speed I’m sure he’d start. JR will see him every day in training. I watched when he came in and in the game he started against the Andorrans and he doesn’t start for me!

I respect your opinion but for me he struggles to start. If he’s not up to speed by now I’m not sure when he will be.

So would you start him in the derby at Tiny. Do you think he’s ready?

Just to let you know I’m not slagging him off or slating him I just don’t think he’s the player he was. Which is really sad! On his game probably one if he must gifted and talented ballers at ER

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

Too many people on here assuming he can’t get back to previous levels
    Or conversely too many people on here expecting him to get back to previous levels.

My take is he won't get back to his best, not bt a long way. I will always enjoy looking back at how he has played for Hibs but through no fault of his own I think his career is very nearly over at a high standard. I would love to be wrong but just can't see it.

I know Scott has had/has his health issues but I always thought he put on too much muscle when he rejoined us and it changed his game a bit.

@hibs.net private member

In your opinion. If I average Scott's contribution over his 3 spells I'm not sure he is as good as those three players. He has had a few good spells, usually when we are playing well and I would say he has been disappointing for most of the rest of his time or injured, unwell or on loan. I'd put the spell Magennis is on as being on par with Scottie's spells with far more work off the ball lifting it further.

No doubting Allan has ability but I'm not sure I ever saw him as a consistent top six player and certainly not now.

Very disappointed to hear we are preparing to let Scott Allan go

May not be first name on team sheet but still how on earth we are thinking of getting rid I don’t know what Ross is thinking personally.

Allan’s time at hibs should be getting extended, Mathie and recruitment team better buck up their ideas cause if Nisbet gets injured between now and Christmas we are in the brown stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Very disappointed to hear we are preparing to let Scott Allan go

May not be first name on team sheet but still how on earth we are thinking of getting rid I don’t know what Ross is thinking personally.

Allan’s time at hibs should be getting extended, Mathie and recruitment team better buck up their ideas cause if Nisbet gets injured between now and Christmas we are in the brown stuff
    A lot of people think he shouldn’t be written off and that’s fair enough but this is the other side of the coin right here.

Manager apparently hasn’t got a clue, recruitment is hopeless and we should be looking to extend Scott Allan’s contract.

Really?

I think he will be away in January.

Can see us making the same deal with St Mirren in January at the start of the window.

Thought we would see him earlier in the second half as Magennis looked tired. But Jack Ross obviously doesn’t feel he’s up to it. Think he’ll be away in January sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Can see us making the same deal with St Mirren in January at the start of the window.
    We will have competition though ,but think if we are still doing well ,he will see us as an attractive option to consider

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Think an English club will take a punt on McGrath in January. Pre contract and cheap deal to be had.