hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Allan

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dear god it’s not hard to work out that he’s doing a bit more to get noticed.

That doesn’t mean he’s not trying in training. He might have before put in 100% in training for the length of time it lasted then went home.

Maybe now he’s working harder by adapting his game to suit what Jack Ross wants
    ? Working more in his own time defensively and winning the ball back.

In the gym he might be doing more explosive work to make him get faster and be stronger in winning the ball back and protecting it when he gets it.

Just because he’s putting in more effort now doesn’t mean that he wasn’t trying in training.
    So why wasn't he doing that before then?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Not heard that, I'm only going by what Black Sheep has said.

Since his move fell through he is now seemingly working really hard, so why was he not working hard before?

My point was you shouldn't need a possible transfer to make you buck your ideas up.

We all know the stick that Stevenson and Hanlon get on here but those two knock their pan in, day in day out. When they hang their boots up they know they gave it their all and will have no regrets.
    Has he just assumed he'd get back into the team on talent alone and Ross has told him to buck your ideas up or you'll be offski. The possible loan that didn't come off was maybe a eye opener for Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    So why wasn't he doing that before then?
    Maybe it was a case of not needing to?

When Ross first came in Allan started the vast majority of games.

Last season he started off in the team before his heart condition left him out for months. He then went on loan to get games under his belt.

This season he started off as the first choice attacking mid with Magennis on the bench, one red card and a slight knock and he was out of the team.

Maybe he’s seeing what Magennis offers behind the striker and realises he’ll need to do similar off the ball to get back in?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Isnt this just a question of due to his illness Scott just isnt capable of playing 90 minutes at this level? Buckets of talent but in the modern game you need more than that. He's never going to be a regular starter for Hibs going forward or if he does he off after an hour. Sad in many ways but its where Scott is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Isnt this just a question of due to his illness Scott just isnt capable of playing 90 minutes at this level? Buckets of talent but in the modern game you need more than that. He's never going to be a regular starter for Hibs going forward or if he does he off after an hour. Sad in many ways but its where Scott is.
    It might be, none of us really know.

I don't think he looks as nimble as he once did. It might be because of his illness, it might be because he's bulked up incorrectly. The main difference I've seen in him though is that he doesn't appear to be agile enough, to move his limbs like a professional footballer should.

The lovely weight of pass and the like is still there, you even get a wee burst of pace from time to time but something just isn't the same.

It's also worth remembering that box to box energy was never his game in the first place. It was short burst to create space then either create or score himself.

We've heard a few times in the past about Scott Allan redoubling his efforts to achieve peak fitness. I don't know what that might look like any more, but if he thinks he can find a little bit extra something from somewhere then that can only be good for us.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Should start the next game. I thought he was behind almost everything good we did in the second half. If he gets a run of games I’ve no doubt we’ll see the Scott Allan of old.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Should start the next game. I thought he was behind almost everything good we did in the second half. If he gets a run of games I’ve no doubt we’ll see the Scott Allan of old.
    He was great going forward but 100% to blame for letting his man go for the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post

Made an immediate impact and showed glimpses of the old Allan, his side foot cross for McGinn's goal was sublime, great vision and a much needed boost for the squad getting him back playing well again.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Don’t know what the difference was today but he looked at it from the start today. Great to see him contributing again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ran the show when he came on.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Thought he did really well when he came on, made a huge difference in the second half.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Scary to think we were willing to get rid of him.

We should be desperately trying to find a formation that gets him in the team.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Thought he did really well when he came on, made a huge difference in the second half.

The sooner he can play 90 minutes the better

keep it up 👍 would’ve been gutted if he went

Class is permanent, his body may end up letting him down over a long season but still one of my fav players to watch.

Though he was excellent when he came on and even a couple of what look like hit and hope passes over the top would have came off if him and Nisbet were on the same page (only comes with playing together)

Seen enough. Start him.

Was the difference between 1 point (almost 3) and the zero we were going to get without him. Great impact after the dire 1st half, but like the rest of side, had faded by the end & they certainly finished stronger & were worthy of a point.

Mad to think he could have been on the opposite 11 today.

I know Ross has signed decent players but the fact Allan was 30 minutes short of going and then Ross now telling bbc today he’s gave him something to think about.

I find that strange

I realise my opinion is a bit extreme but... if a player like Allan (when fit) doesn't fit into your system then I'd question that system, not Allan.

I realise he's not ideal defensively but what he does contribute more than makes up for that.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

I know Ross has signed decent players but the fact Allan was 30 minutes short of going and then Ross now telling bbc today he’s gave him something to think about.

I find that strange
    It's not strange if it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

I find that strange

I think the McGrath deal was a loan for Allan and Wright, so couldn't play against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I realise my opinion is a bit extreme but... if a player like Allan (when fit) doesn't fit into your system then I'd question that system, not Allan.

I realise he's not ideal defensively but what he does contribute more than makes up for that.
    Agree

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Agree.

He’s a player who when he’s at it should really be well outwith out reach. Our system should be designed to make sure him, Boyle and Nisbet are at it as much as possible and preferably all on the pitch and at it at the same time.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 18-09-2021 at 05:11 PM.

I don’t think it’s extreme at all, has always been my opinion of him, focus on his strengths, not his negatives. Does Murphy for example offer much defensively, although I appreciate they play in different positions ?

Outstanding today, motm by a mile and it’s great to have him back.

He had 2 of 3 other moments that could have led to goals if more of our players were on their game today.

If that had been the case then any culpability for the 2nd St Mirren goal would have been immaterial.

It’s a shame if there was any blame attached to him for the goal, as that really wasn’t the story of his afternoon.

He’s back.
    Last edited by Smartie; 18-09-2021 at 05:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I have it on good authority that Scott has been quite lazy in training earlier in the season, which Jack Ross took a disliking to.

He is now back screwing the nut as they say as he realises hard work gets you picked over talent in Ross’s eyes.

According to my source Ross has changed the mentality of the club since coming in, for then better, emphasis on hard work and fitness.

I think it’s clear to see that Scott is getting more minutes as he is proving he is worth them… on the downside Scott’s health has also been a factor in his training, whether it’s stopped him going the extra mile or he is conscious of over doing it.

Catch 22 for Allan cos if he puts in the effort he’ll get game time, but it could also exasperate his health issues.

Fantastic from him today, definitely one of the most intelligent footballers I’ve seen play.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Outstanding today, motm by a mile and it’s great to have him back.

He had 2 of 3 other moments that could have led to goals if more of our players were on their game today.

If that had been the case then any culpability for the 2nd St Mirren goal would have been immaterial.

It’s a shame if there was any blame attached to him for the goal, as that really wasn’t the story of his afternoon.

He’s back.
    Totally agree. He was at the heart of all Hibs' meaningful attacks. I'm pretty sure he wasn't really expected to track back to his own goal either so one of the 3 central midfielders should have been keeping an eye out.

Really good contribution, from a position he's not entirely comfortable, and gives us a completely different dimension. The current midfield 3 will have to improve to keep him out the team.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    I have it on good authority that Scott has been quite lazy in training earlier in the season, which Jack Ross took a disliking to.

He is now back screwing the nut as they say as he realises hard work gets you picked over talent in Ross’s eyes.

According to my source Ross has changed the mentality of the club since coming in, for then better, emphasis on hard work and fitness.

I think it’s clear to see that Scott is getting more minutes as he is proving he is worth them… on the downside Scott’s health has also been a factor in his training, whether it’s stopped him going the extra mile or he is conscious of over doing it.

Catch 22 for Allan cos if he puts in the effort he’ll get game time, but it could also exasperate his health issues.

Fantastic from him today, definitely one of the most intelligent footballers I’ve seen play.
    I heard similar the other day and was really disappointed about it. Was also really surprised and wondered if he was just struggling to train fully. I’ve been critical of JR for not giving Allan more game time, but I can’t blame him if he’s not been seen to be putting in the required effort in training. Today was a marker, hopefully he starts on Thursday and goes on to play regularly.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Saw both sides of Allan today. Great set up for McGinn, but totally left for dead when Marcus Fraser broke.

Certainly he's got a place in the squad.