hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 442

Thread: Scott Allan

  1. #301
    @hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He didnít start the next game because Magennis played very well as far as I recall.

    I wasnít meaning you when I talked about people implying an agenda - but Iíve seen plenty of people more or less doing so e.g saying heís been treated unfairly when he simply hasnít.

    Iím personally desperate to see the things others think they can in Scott at the moment but just canít and definitely feel like we can trust the judgement of a good coaching team who see all the players every day.

    Heís a joy to watch when in prime form - Iíd love to see it again but at the moment I just canít get away from the fact that Newell, JDH and Magennis offer a lot more and Iím not going to get upset by that.
    Fair enough, I appreciate the reply.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough, I appreciate the reply.
    👍

  4. #303
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    23,685
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was fit last season but Ross refused to play him. He wanted to stay at Hibs, but wasnít going to get any game time so that left taking up the option as a coach. It doesnít equate to Ross being right, just that he got to influence the decision DG ultimately made.
    But surely Ross not picking him and subsequently him retiring shows why Ross was correct not to play him because he felt he was not upto the task anymore. The same thing happening with Allan, Gray could've dropped down a league but Ross obviously sees the benefit of having him around coaching.

  5. #304
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    18,153
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scott looked lost in that position today. Allan would have offered more, just even in terms of knowing where to be. We were a man down first half but it wasnít all down to Scott IMO, it was a mistake asking him to play that position.
    I completely agree, heís never a playmaker like Allan.

    United we stand here....

  6. #305
    @hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,654
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But surely Ross not picking him and subsequently him retiring shows why Ross was correct not to play him because he felt he was not upto the task anymore.
    Not really no. He retired because he wasnít going to get a game, not because he didnít think he was able and was persuaded to take up the coaching role.

  7. #306
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This nonsense about him ďnot fancying himĒ makes absolutely no sense based on so many things but I get the feeling itís trying to create the ďJack Ross doesnít like flair playersĒ narrative to those who will simply never take to him.
    I disagree. I actually think Ross doesn't fancy him. I think it's clear to see from Ross's signings (Murphy, Mackay) that his key attacking players are wide forwards with lots of pace and he likes energy and industry in the middle (Magennis, JDH). When he came in, I think he wanted to play 4-4-2 and Scott Allan ended up playing wide left. He's clearly not got the pace for that.

    Allan is a player who you have to build your team around and most of the attacking play goes through. I just dont think that is the way Ross wants to play but I dont think that means Ross doesnt like flair players - I just think he likes players with pace and attacking verve.

    I think some of the conclusions elsewhere on this thread that because Allan isnt getting a game means he is finished. I just don't think he fits into the manager's system neatly. That's not to say he might not have a part to play though, particularly with our injuries.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  8. #307
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,313

    Scott Allan

    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. I actually think Ross doesn't fancy him. I think it's clear to see from Ross's signings (Murphy, Mackay) that his key attacking players are wide forwards with lots of pace and he likes energy and industry in the middle (Magennis, JDH). When he came in, I think he wanted to play 4-4-2 and Scott Allan ended up playing wide left. He's clearly not got the pace for that.

    Allan is a player who you have to build your team around and most of the attacking play goes through. I just dont think that is the way Ross wants to play but I dont think that means Ross doesnt like flair players - I just think he likes players with pace and attacking verve.

    I think some of the conclusions elsewhere on this thread that because Allan isnt getting a game means he is finished. I just don't think he fits into the manager's system neatly. That's not to say he might not have a part to play though, particularly with our injuries.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    If he didnít fancy him , Why didnít he get him a move on loan?

    Allan does as you say require a certain shape , at the moment it is hard to find him a slot Öalso, everyone can see heís not in the fitness that he was a couple of years agoÖRoss seems to making the right calls, and Allan is not getting much game time.

  9. #308
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he didnít fancy him , Why didnít he get him a move on loan?

    Allan does as you say require a certain shape , at the moment it is hard to find him a slot Öalso, everyone can see heís not in the fitness that he was a couple of years agoÖRoss seems to making the right calls, and Allan is not getting much game time.
    It has been widely documented that he was part of the botched McGrath deal with St Mirren as a makeweight.

  10. #309
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It has been widely documented that he was part of the botched McGrath deal with St Mirren as a makeweight.
    It was also widely reported that McGrath was on his way to Boro before a late collapse in the deal..

    If Ross didnít rate Allan, he wouldnít have waited until an unforeseen opportunity raised its head to seek to exit him ..

  11. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was also widely reported that McGrath was on his way to Boro before a late collapse in the deal..

    If Ross didnít rate Allan, he wouldnít have waited until an unforeseen opportunity raised its head to seek to exit him ..
    Heís hardly giving him any time on the pitch. He played an out of position, on loan striker in his position today. A week after trying to move him on.

    I donít think there is much more evidence needed to suggest that he doesnít really see him as part of his plans.

  12. #311
    @hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Leith Links
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,486
    You either build a team round Scott Allan or you donít. Ross has chosen the latter and results are vindicating his choice. Pains me as I love Allan but results speak for themselves. I expect heíll go out on loan in the next window.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

  13. #312
    Heís not playing cause heís not currently good enough to command a starting slot.

  14. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You either build a team round Scott Allan or you donít. Ross has chosen the latter and results are vindicating his choice. Pains me as I love Allan but results speak for themselves. I expect heíll go out on loan in the next window.
    Allan has done well many times for Hibs when the team wasn't built around him. Hecky certainly didn't and he was our only player for weeks then.

  15. #314
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    23,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heís not playing cause heís not currently good enough to command a starting slot.

    Unfortunately this is true, Allan isn't the 1st and won't be the last really good player to come and go at Hibs, it comes to all players eventually.

  16. #315
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    282
    Played 90 mins today and scored the last min winner against Falkirk. 2-1 Hibs

  17. #316
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    60
    Posts
    38,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Played 90 mins today and scored the last min winner against Falkirk. 2-1 Hibs
    Who all played?

  18. #317
    Testimonial Due 500miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Played 90 mins today and scored the last min winner against Falkirk. 2-1 Hibs
    Apparently we had trialists on the bench?

  19. #318
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Played 90 mins today and scored the last min winner against Falkirk. 2-1 Hibs
    Great to hear.

  20. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately this is true, Allan isn't the 1st and won't be the last really good player to come and go at Hibs, it comes to all players eventually.
    I think that would easier for the player and the fans to accept if he had simply faded through age. Unfortunately, his third spell at the club has been endlessly blighted by medical issues from which it appears he is not able to fully recover. I find it hard to imagine Ross would not be making more use of a fully-fit Scott Allan.

    What makes it especially sad is that Scott Allan and Hibs just go together. You don't get too many players like that these days. He's produced far and away his finest form for us and was outstanding in his first two spells and it's a real source of regret that he (and we) appear to have been denied the chance to see him maintain that form due to really unfortunate circumstances.

  21. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Played 90 mins today and scored the last min winner against Falkirk. 2-1 Hibs
    Great news. Keep fighting away Scotty!

  22. #321
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    53,558
    Scott Allan is probably my favourite this century, i'd love him to play and do what he's done in the past.

    I think the manager see's a little more of him than we do, and if he thinks the players he's picking will do better then who am i to question him?

    Results do back the manager, sometimes we have to back the manager on things.

  23. #322
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scott Allan is probably my favourite this century
    Ahead of Sauzee and Latapy?

  24. #323
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,374
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ahead of Sauzee and Latapy?
    This may be controversial, but Scott Allan fit and on his game is up there with those 2.

    That drop of shoulder, wee burst of pace to get by someone and then the weight of pass at the end of it...

  25. #324
    @hibs.net private member tamig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    9,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may be controversial, but Scott Allan fit and on his game is up there with those 2.

    That drop of shoulder, wee burst of pace to get by someone and then the weight of pass at the end of it...
    I agree.

  26. #325
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    26,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may be controversial, but Scott Allan fit and on his game is up there with those 2.

    That drop of shoulder, wee burst of pace to get by someone and then the weight of pass at the end of it...
    Each to their own but not for me.

    Latapy the closest equivalent in terms of the position they played but IMO Latapy a good stretch ahead of him.

  27. #326
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may be controversial, but Scott Allan fit and on his game is up there with those 2.

    That drop of shoulder, wee burst of pace to get by someone and then the weight of pass at the end of it...
    not on the same level as those guys and never will be.Scott is a very good player,Sauzee and Latapy were well above being very good though.

  28. #327
    Coaching Staff SMAXXA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently we had trialists on the bench?
    Big CH I believe got the last 15m

  29. #328
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Each to their own but not for me.

    Latapy the closest equivalent in terms of the position they played but IMO Latapy a good stretch ahead of him.
    Latapy is miles ahead of Scott Allan if compared.

  30. #329
    @hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Auckland, NZ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,187
    Gamer IDs

    Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may be controversial, but Scott Allan fit and on his game is up there with those 2.

    That drop of shoulder, wee burst of pace to get by someone and then the weight of pass at the end of it...
    As good as Scott was he wasn't near either Sauzee or Latapy

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  31. #330
    Scott Allan on his day was an absolutely majestic player to watch for us in his first two spells. He arrived a time when we had been exposed to years of absolutely dire, turgid, talentless football. Then he arrived and he made me want to go watch Hibs again week on week (amongst the rest of the football we played obviously). Even in his 2nd spell he added that finishing touch to create a midfield three that I still believe was the best in the country for that half of the season.

    Maybe his better days are behind him, I don't know. He doesn't deserve to start as everyone else says. But I just want to see him be able to fight for it, and if it doesn't work out by January and he and the club feels its best to move on then he'll go with my good wishes. But until then I just want to see him used when times call for it rather than fearing turning to him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)