hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winning Ugly…

Winning Ugly…

…let’s turn on the style next week.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Although we fully deserved that today we did a bit of a St Johnstone on St Johnstone. Can't remember Macey having to make a save. Very pleasing.

Something we’ve been needing to do.

Give me that over a play well but loss/draw from conceding a cheap goal any day.

I also don’t think it was that “ugly”. It wasn’t scintillating football but we done our job and worked hard. Controlled the game even after we scored which ssd
    pleasing.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I wouldn’t have described our performance as “ugly”.

Patient and disciplined with some tidy football at times in amongst it. An excellent three points.

A good win today, good to finally get a win against them. We still need to work out how we break them down though, aside from a bit of a contentious penalty, we didn’t create much. Boyle is becoming a very reliable penalty taker.

I'll gladly take three points no matter how they come. But I think a few players are looking like they're going off the boil at the same time which is never a good sign. Boyle (penalties aside), Nisbet, and Magennis aren't looking as threatening these last few games as they were at the start of the European run and into the league. If we can eek out games like this until it clicks again for them we should be in a good position.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    We won, things are good.

Gave St Johnstone a taste of their own medicine today.

GIRUY

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Nobody seems to win with flair against St Johnstone they are set up to frustrate

Reminds me of a few seasons back when Aberdeen just kept on winning games by hook or crook. Was so frustrating and I was envious looking on. We are similar now. It's more than just luck, it's an art.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    St J will be raging with the penalty decision. Good!

no sympathy for them

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    St Johnstone are effective in what they do. If it takes 90 minutes of stodge to get a result then so be it.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Clear penalty.Used his hand to divert flight of ball

Was never going to be pretty but I thought we played well up until the goal. Showed patience and stuck to the task. I do think we need a lot more composure and to be braver when we have a lead though. Even although they didn’t really create anything with the extra man we should have been knocking the ball about a lot better. We sat in too much.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Great victory. Well done Hibs.

I wouldn’t say it was ugly but St Johnstone by their very style makes it a difficult watch at times.

Hard fought victory, bring on the Rangers next week

I'd take a scrappy 1-0 win against a team like St Johnstone any day of the week. Considering we hadn't beat them at ER for nearly a decade and struggled massively against them in key games last season. Psychologically that is huge, you saw how much the win meant by the reaction at full time!

Left by mutual consent!
    The encouraging thing for me is I think our form has dipped for the last 3 or 4 games but we're still winning/drawing. Last season when we where out of form we were dropping far more points especially at home. Combine this with the amount of players out injured and I'm beginning to get those Leicester vibes.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The encouraging thing for me is I think our form has dipped for the last 3 or 4 games but we're still winning/drawing. Last season when we where out of form we were dropping far more points especially at home. Combine this with the amount of players out injured and I'm beginning to get those Leicester vibes.
    I agree. Ross said that there are a number of players struggling at the minute as well but playing with niggles which might explain the dip. I think he said Boyle hadn’t trained all week, magennis was similar and came off injured at half time. Great result and was always going to be horrible against them.

Great 3 points today. Not pretty in the 1st half but way better in the 2nd. Thought we dug in well and frustrated St Johnstone and played them at their own game abit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Clear penalty.Used his hand to divert flight of ball
    Not seen it back looked a bit iffy to me sat not too far away from the incident in the ff. I'll take it tho 😄

First Team Regular
    I thought we were terrible. St Johnstone played their part in that though.

So slow in possession, barely any good movement, little width. Nesbit needs Doidge next to him. We play a lot of long balls to Nesbit and Boyle up top. Can’t really get to the bye line as Doidge isn’t available.

That said, delighted to beat the set out to frustrate tractor clowns.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post

So slow in possession, barely any good movement, little width. Nesbit needs Doidge next to him. We play a lot of long balls to Nesbit and Boyle up top. Can’t really get to the bye line as Doidge isn’t available.

Id agree with that. Way too slow in our build up especially against a team like st Johnstone. A disputed penalty away from a very diffrent message board tonight i think. Jack still hasnt worked them out.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Id agree with that. Way too slow in our build up especially against a team like st Johnstone. A disputed penalty away from a very diffrent message board tonight i think. Jack still hasnt worked them out.
    We had 3 penalty claims, so we were obviously getting into attacking positions.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Yeah. Headed for 0-0 all the way.

Can't disagree with any of that.

The manager says a few players running on empty due to recent illness etc. 3 points in the bag. Was never going to be pretty today.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    The manager says a few players running on empty due to recent illness etc. 3 points in the bag. Was never going to be pretty today.
    Agree 100%. ST Johnstone do that to teams. They wear you down and make the game tight and messy. Rather win like today than play well and get beat tbh. All about the 3 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I thought once we went in front, St Johnstone showed that they can actually play a bit. Even down to 10 men they kept trying to play passing football, and showed good pressure on the ball and a willingness to play.

I think they are decent, in fact there are a few decent teams this season, St Mirren another.

Winning

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar

Terrible? I don’t need to relay the reputation of st johnstone but they are very good at restricting what teams can do. Despite that, we had our joint most attempts at goal this season outside if the Ross County game.

I can recall a few incidents of Doig skinning Rooney down the wing and although we didn’t force Clark into any wonder saves we found ourselves in good positions in the box quite often only to have shots blocked by some good defending.

We also limited St J to very little and stood up well to prevent crosses coming in and also defend any that did find there way in, which has been a sore point for us this season.

There was a spell in the second half probably until the penalty where the situation was looking like we were a bit short of ideas but once the goal was scored I think we were on the front foot and didn’t let them pile pressure on like St Mirren and Dundee have done previously in getting late goals (sending off would have helped granted).

It wasn’t a classic performance by any means but from where I was looking it was a far cry from terrible.