hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Big screens.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone suggested they know better?

Our turnover last year was £8.9m. Keeping in mind all the different ways Hibs receive income that lead to that figure, a figure of £1m for adverts on a big tele seems a lot.

If we can get it then great. Even half of that amount would make it worthwhile.
    £500,000 income annually from big screens would be superb imo

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    Say we play 25 games at Easter Road per season then that works out at £40,000 per game which seems high to advertise to at most 21,000 people inside the stadium.
    Yip, Ron has done no research and just plucked a number out the air, he's obviously at it as usual.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Yeah I think that as well.

If it was that easy why haven't other clubs in Scotland got them installed?
    1 - The four biggest stadiums in the country already have them and Aberdeen will be installing them in their new stadium
    2 - Outside of the top 5 teams in the country every other team are pretty much living hand to mouth and don't have an owner willing to "pony up" or the cash on hand needed to install and maintain them without impacting the playing budget - playing budget goes down for a team like Motherwell or St Johnstone for two or three years to pay for stadiums screens and they could end up being relegated which could be devastating financially.
    3 - We have a 20,000 seater stadium with over 10,000 season ticket holders and could have around 10 to 15 games a season televised. Easter Road is also one of the top stadiums in the country and capable of hosting international games and other events. We can charge a lot more for advertising space than most other teams meaning the cost of installing the screens could be offset within a year. Other teams it could take 3/4/5 years to generate enough revenue from their advertising to cover the cost of installing them making it not cost-effective or detrimental to their overall budget.
    4 - I think Hearts would do it if they could but they don't have the stadium space or configuration to do it easily and without reducing capacity or ending up with more restricted view seats.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Yip, Ron has done no research and just plucked a number out the air, he's obviously at it as usual.
    Did I say that?

The numbers just seem high that's all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So he has just made the numbers up then?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Not really. The place is well covered by cameras. They will spot a random bottle/pie/bar of soap being launched.
    Stop it ! Right now My sides are sore.

So he has just made the numbers up then?
    Did I say that?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Say we play 25 games at Easter Road per season then that works out at £40,000 per game which seems high to advertise to at most 21,000 people inside the stadium.
    We’re only guaranteed 19 games. 19 games where people generally only turn up 15 mins before kick off. On the presumption that the game will be shown on the screens then that leaves around 30 mins 19 times a season guaranteed for adverts. 570 minutes of air time makes it £1754 a minute to reach an average of about 14000 people with the vast majority of those folk being the same folk every week.

There’s certainly much cheaper ways to advertise and to also reach much wider audiences if that’s what we are charging but I’d be delighted if folk want to pay it.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Who actually said that they were costing £1m in the first place?

We’re only guaranteed 19 games. 19 games where people generally only turn up 15 mins before kick off. On the presumption that the game will be shown on the screens then that leaves around 30 mins 19 times a season for adverts. 570 minutes of air time makes it £1754 a minute to reach an average of about 14000 people with the vast majority of those folk being the same folk every week.

There’s certainly much cheaper ways to advertise and to also reach much wider audiences if that’s what we are charging but I’d be delighted if folk want to pay it.
    So you are saying he just made up the numbers as well?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Don't really know much about these screens, but surely they are not like normal telly screens and they will have reinforced screens that the odd bottle or pie won't damage?

Did I say that?
    Yes.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    You'll just hurt your brain trying to do the math.

Trust our Head of Marketing, he's probably given it a bit of thought and decided it's worthwhile.

Besides, it will look cool, who cares about the cash!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    You'll just hurt your brain trying to do the math.

Trust our Head of Marketing, he's probably given it a bit of thought and decided it's worthwhile.

Besides, it will look cool, who cares about the cash!
    Has this £1m a year income actually been quoted anywhere? I’ve never actually seen anything where someone from Hibs has mentioned it.

Don't really know much about these screens, but surely they are not like normal telly screens and they will have reinforced screens that the odd bottle or pie won't damage?
    Correct

It does seem high for 1 company advertising but if you have say 100 businesses each paying £400 a pop to advertise to this audience add in TV games and other exposure it would bring then it’s not really that much is it?

Even 10 at 4K a pop isn’t out of the question depending on the size of the business advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    It does seem high for 1 company advertising but if you have say 100 businesses each paying £400 a pop to advertise to this audience add in TV games and other exposure it would bring then it’s not really that much is it?

Even 10 at 4K a pop isn’t out of the question depending on the size of the business advertising.
    Games being on TV won't make a difference as they can't advertise via the screens to a TV audience.That will be covered in Sky's contract.

I don't want them because of the thoughts of what might happen to them when Inspector Gadget loyal come to town.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    Who gets the remote control?
    Whoever has the most loyalty points 👹😬

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar

From memory you work in advertising, or have in the past? If so I will take your points as valid along with the marketing team at ER. I have no idea if 1m is feasible but you and the folk we pay to do that sort of stuff seem to think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    Should hang them from the FF and South Stands
    Are we still talking about the old firm and hearts fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re paying less than £4K a pop for prime slot tv adverts from what I can see. There’s no way anyone is paying £4K a game to advertise at Easter Road I wouldn’t think when you can pay the same to advertise to potentially millions.

Left by mutual consent!
    Club might generate cash by showing some games on beam back? Opens potential for concerts/boxing to be held at Easter Road in close season?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    What will the screens have on them besides the score and time? Would ideally like to see scorer names and live score updates from other Scottish games.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    It might not be all about the adverts themselves, as there is probably scope for the TV screens to be sponsored by a company and have their imaging round the side like the ones at clubs down south. If they're a permanent fixture for the year, plus the income from adverts then £1m might not seem too high.

Hibernian Football Club

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Back of fag packet calculations aplenty in here.

Wonder if the club will use them to beam back games such as the derby where not everyone can go. Could be a wee money maker if reasonably priced.

We’re only guaranteed 19 games. 19 games where people generally only turn up 15 mins before kick off. On the presumption that the game will be shown on the screens then that leaves around 30 mins 19 times a season guaranteed for adverts. 570 minutes of air time makes it £1754 a minute to reach an average of about 14000 people with the vast majority of those folk being the same folk every week.

Where does the £1m per season come from?

If they are saying the screens will pay for themselves in 1 season then that suggests the screens are costing that much, surely the big screens on their own won't cost that much?

Agree though that £1m per season just from those screens seems really high. Maybe the £1m per season figure included all the other improvements they were going to make like the ribbon advertising screens etc.?

Nevertheless, I think you are maybe being a bit light with the amount of minutes available for advertising on the screen as the whole screen doesn't have to be showing the same thing, they could have permanent advertising across the bottom while the game is on, or rotating adverts.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Who actually said that they were costing £1m in the first place?
    I think the £1m figure came from discussions at Ron's first AGM where the big screen plans were announced but from what i can find it costs about £15k to £20k per Square metre for LED walls like that so i think the £1m is the overall cost of the big screens & LED ribbons around the entire stadium.

Two 3m x 5m screens would be about £500k

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    What will the screens have on them besides the score and time? Would ideally like to see scorer names and live score updates from other Scottish games.
    this would be good. Imagine if we’d had them on Albert Kidd day in 86