hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 83 of 83
  1. #61
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you don't hold to the concept of the Divine Feminine, then?
    😀 nah mate, even more bollocks 😄


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    26,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    😀 nah mate, even more bollocks 😄
    I think you'll find it's "fewer".

  4. #63
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you'll find it's "fewer".
    😂😂😂

  5. #64
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    16,443
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you don't hold to the concept of the Divine Feminine, then?
    What kind of blasphemy is this ? Allow me to quote this morning's Gospel reading at Mass:

    'Give way to one another in obedience to Christ. Wives should regard their husbands as they regard the Lord, since as Christ is head of the Church and saves the whole body, so is a husband the head of his wife; and as the Church submits to Christ, so should wives to their husbands, in everything'.

    St. Paul to the Ephesians.

    That is the sacred Word; there's no getting around that. Suck it up Germaine Greer and all the other left wing subversives, yeez are telt .
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  6. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What kind of blasphemy is this ? Allow me to quote this morning's Gospel reading at Mass:

    'Give way to one another in obedience to Christ. Wives should regard their husbands as they regard the Lord, since as Christ is head of the Church and saves the whole body, so is a husband the head of his wife; and as the Church submits to Christ, so should wives to their husbands, in everything'.

    St. Paul to the Ephesians.

    That is the sacred Word; there's no getting around that. Suck it up Germaine Greer and all the other left wing subversives, yeez are telt .
    We have a (permanent) Decaon who gave the homily last night at the Vigil Mass. He began by saying his wife was scheduled to give the 2nd reading at the equivalent Mass last year and refused to read that. When I got home I suggested to my fiance that should be one of the readings at our wedding....... I actually think the 2nd half of the reading puts a bit of a different slant on it accepting the context of the time of course.

    The Gospel reading for this week is always an interesting one. It seems even back then people found some of the teachings difficult and were happy to walk away:

    'This saying is hard; who can accept it?' followed by: 'As a result of this, many of his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.'

  7. #66
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    34,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have a (permanent) Decaon who gave the homily last night at the Vigil Mass. He began by saying his wife was scheduled to give the 2nd reading at the equivalent Mass last year and refused to read that. When I got home I suggested to my fiance that should be one of the readings at our wedding....... I actually think the 2nd half of the reading puts a bit of a different slant on it accepting the context of the time of course.

    The Gospel reading for this week is always an interesting one. It seems even back then people found some of the teachings difficult and were happy to walk away:

    'This saying is hard; who can accept it?' followed by: 'As a result of this, many of his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.'
    I read it last night and thought of this thread. It’s problematical to say the least.
    As your post shows though, nothing is unthinkingly accepted, nor should it be.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  8. #67
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    24,245
    One day, a farmer was out mending fences and at some point along the way he lost his Bible.

    A month later, one of his sheep walks up to him clutching the Bible between its teeth.

    "Oh, Lord," exclaims the farmer as he drops to his knees, "Thank you Lord, it's a miracle!"

    "Not really," says the sheep, "Your name's inside the cover, you daft *******.”

  9. #68
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    16,443
    I'm up to Book 25, Ecclesiastes, about 750 pages in. I'm enjoying reading the full Bible more than I expected. Whether it's the divine Word of God, I shall maintain a diplomatic silence.....
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  10. #69
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    31,437
    I decided to finally get into the spirit of the thread, and read a book in which I'm a non-believer.


    So I read The Highway Code.



    What a load of utter nonsense that was. I have no idea how anybody could be naive enough to believe that stuff.


  11. #70
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    16,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I decided to finally get into the spirit of the thread, and read a book in which I'm a non-believer.


    So I read The Highway Code.



    What a load of utter nonsense that was. I have no idea how anybody could be naive enough to believe that stuff.

    I would recommend the Old Testament for those who like action stories. God puts on quite a show:

    Genocide
    Blood Magic
    Infanticide
    Child brides and paedophilia
    Rape
    Land theft
    Racism
    Slavery
    Torture
    Genital mutilation
    Plagues
    Famines
    Floods
    Earthquakes

    Plus other exciting phenomena

    Remember, God is all loving and all merciful
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  12. #71
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North Edinurgh
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would recommend the Old Testament for those who like action stories. God puts on quite a show:

    Genocide
    Blood Magic
    Infanticide
    Child brides and paedophilia
    Rape
    Land theft
    Racism
    Slavery
    Torture
    Genital mutilation
    Plagues
    Famines
    Floods
    Earthquakes

    Plus other exciting phenomena

    Remember, God is all loving and all merciful
    So it's more or less Hollyoaks in sandals 😀

  13. #72
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    31,437
    Quote Originally Posted by w pilton hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So it's more or less Hollyoaks in sandals 😀

    I would have said it's more of a Brookside, but I get your point


  14. #73
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    31,437
    I was just watching yet another story on the news about widespread paedophilia and child abuse in the Catholic church, this time in France.

    This one was about the THOUSANDS of Priests, and other associated Church members, that abused HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of children over the decades.

    Thank God (pun intended) for Free Will.... and God's apparent disinterest in the welfare of those children... AND the fact that those people claim to be his representatives on earth.

    Those in charge of the various Churches must be absolutely delighted that their followers still blindly believe... after centuries of hideous behaviour from those in positions of power in said churches... that these same people represent God on Earth, and even have the right to tell others what is and what is not wrong.

    And God, in his infinite wisdom, sits up there and lets them carry on like that, while those down on earth still blindly believe, or even blindly still try to defend the indefensible


    But to be fair, they have some lovely church buildings and never hold back from filling them with pointless paintings of 'Saints' and 'Virgins', crosses of Gold and precious stones..... so that makes it all worth while, I suppose.


  15. #74
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    31,437
    "Some 216,000 children - mostly boys - have been sexually abused by clergy in the French Catholic Church since 1950, a damning new inquiry has found.


    The head of the inquiry said there were at least 2,900-3,200 abusers, and accused the Church of showing a "cruel indifference towards the victims"


    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58801183


    "The inquiry found the number of children abused in France could rise to 330,000, when taking into account abuses committed by lay members of the Church, such as teachers at Catholic schools."

  16. #75
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    16,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just watching yet another story on the news about widespread paedophilia and child abuse in the Catholic church, this time in France.

    This one was about the THOUSANDS of Priests, and other associated Church members, that abused HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of children over the decades.

    Thank God (pun intended) for Free Will.... and God's apparent disinterest in the welfare of those children... AND the fact that those people claim to be his representatives on earth.

    Those in charge of the various Churches must be absolutely delighted that their followers still blindly believe... after centuries of hideous behaviour from those in positions of power in said churches... that these same people represent God on Earth, and even have the right to tell others what is and what is not wrong.

    And God, in his infinite wisdom, sits up there and lets them carry on like that, while those down on earth still blindly believe, or even blindly still try to defend the indefensible


    But to be fair, they have some lovely church buildings and never hold back from filling them with pointless paintings of 'Saints' and 'Virgins', crosses of Gold and precious stones..... so that makes it all worth while, I suppose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Some 216,000 children - mostly boys - have been sexually abused by clergy in the French Catholic Church since 1950, a damning new inquiry has found.


    The head of the inquiry said there were at least 2,900-3,200 abusers, and accused the Church of showing a "cruel indifference towards the victims"


    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58801183


    "The inquiry found the number of children abused in France could rise to 330,000, when taking into account abuses committed by lay members of the Church, such as teachers at Catholic schools."
    It's both utterly outrageous and tragic. I will say from the outset that this issue is certainly not unique to the Catholic Church, but, being a huge organisation of 1.3 billion people, with thousands of priests around the world, it will have more of these appalling cases than any other organisation. All religions have been hit with this issue. The Church of England, for example, continues to uncover new scandals each year. The perverts who commit such terrible crimes join professions/vocations where they will have easy access to children and hold authority over them. What better position of trust than the clergy? Other professions, such as teaching, are also vulnerable for the same reason, and there are inquiries into almost every boys boarding school in the UK. Organisations such as the Boy Scouts have also been infiltrated by paedophiles.

    If institutions hit by child abuse allegations dealt with it in the proper way, the crimes would be bad enough; but the cover ups are what really destroys trust. When institutions care more about their reputation than the well being of children, abuse can continue for decades. There are so many examples of the Catholic Church putting public reputation before the safeguarding of children: paedophile priests being moved from parish to parish when scandal erupts, which only spreads the abuse to new areas! It has to be said the vast majority of priests are good men who genuinely want to serve God. However, the response of the Church to paedophile priests has on numerous occasions been woeful: cover ups, hush money, victim blaming, denial - there are examples of each. In many countries church attendances have dropped, due to child abuse scandals. I'm sure any Irish posters can attest to that. The Church, indeed all institutions which work with children, must be compelled to transparency. Zero tolerance, robust safeguarding policies, and criminal investigations of all allegations must be a legal requirement. Thousands upon thousands of young lives have been destroyed already.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  17. #76
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    34,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just watching yet another story on the news about widespread paedophilia and child abuse in the Catholic church, this time in France.

    This one was about the THOUSANDS of Priests, and other associated Church members, that abused HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of children over the decades.

    Thank God (pun intended) for Free Will.... and God's apparent disinterest in the welfare of those children... AND the fact that those people claim to be his representatives on earth.

    Those in charge of the various Churches must be absolutely delighted that their followers still blindly believe... after centuries of hideous behaviour from those in positions of power in said churches... that these same people represent God on Earth, and even have the right to tell others what is and what is not wrong.

    And God, in his infinite wisdom, sits up there and lets them carry on like that, while those down on earth still blindly believe, or even blindly still try to defend the indefensible


    But to be fair, they have some lovely church buildings and never hold back from filling them with pointless paintings of 'Saints' and 'Virgins', crosses of Gold and precious stones..... so that makes it all worth while, I suppose.

    Surely this is a totally different topic from what the thread was intended for? I get your utter contempt for Catholics and the religious in general but this is a whole new topic.
    Last edited by marinello59; 05-10-2021 at 08:22 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  18. #77
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    16,443
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely this is a totally different topic from what the thread was intended for? I get your utter contempt for Catholics and the religious in general but this is a whole new topic.
    Fair point there. I'm about to start Book 28, Sirach, p. 795.

    I enjoyed the previous Book, The Wisdom of Solomon, more than any so far. Here we clearly see the philosophy of the ancient Greeks, such as Plato, Aristotle, Aeschylus and Euripides at work: mortality and the shortness of life; how to find meaning when we know we shall die; how to avoid fear of death. It's ancient stoicism and existentialism, which is much more my thing than the miracles of the Old Testament. I'm sure The New Testament in full will be more to my way of thinking than the wrath of the O.T. God.

    I just noticed that The Wisdom of Solomon is one of the books that Protestant Bibles do not include. That's a real shame, as it's a very interesting philosophical tract. Was it Martin Luther who decided which books Protestant should dispense with, and does any Biblical scholar on here know why that book is omitted from Protestant Bibles?
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 05-10-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  19. #78
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    31,437
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely this is a totally different topic from what the thread was intended for? I get your utter contempt for Catholics and the religious in general but this is a whole new topic.


    Wow, that's an amazing way to interpret what I wrote. I most certainly don't have contempt for all my mates who are Catholics or for the abused children, it's the self-righteous, hypocritical religions in general I have a serious problem with


    Anyway, I was responding to an ongoing discussion on this subject in this thread, but I'll happily move this to another thread.

  20. #79
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Gross Kienitz
    Posts
    14,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyway, I was responding to an ongoing discussion on this subject in this thread, but I'll happily move this to another thread.
    Go for it, my popcorn stocks have been replenished.

  21. #80
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    61
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure The New Testament in full will be more to my way of thinking than the wrath of the O.T. God.
    After you've done with the NT a good follow up is the writings of Josephus. He shows what happens to the "wicked generation" JC preaches against and the actual fate of the temple "*I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

    The Vespasian/Titus campaigns in Palestine is great movie waiting to be made.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

  22. #81
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    16,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After you've done with the NT a good follow up is the writings of Josephus. He shows what happens to the "wicked generation" JC preaches against and the actual fate of the temple "*I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

    The Vespasian/Titus campaigns in Palestine is great movie waiting to be made.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    My next book is either going to be the new Jilly Cooper or Katie Price's autobiography. Actually at the weekend I bought Thomas a Kempis' 'Imitation of Christ' and might go straight into that. Not being religious, I've read very little theology.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  23. #82
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    61
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My next book is either going to be the new Jilly Cooper or Katie Price's autobiography. Actually at the weekend I bought Thomas a Kempis' 'Imitation of Christ' and might go straight into that. Not being religious, I've read very little theology.


    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

  24. #83
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    31,437
    I just saw this and thought it was quite funny...



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)