hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (The Rangers 03 10 2021)

I’m not long back from Easter Road and in the time it took me to get back home, I’ve not calmed down one bit regarding the fiasco I watched on the beam back from Ibrox. Some on here argue that referees are cheats and others say they’re just incompetent. I tend to go with the latter but today’s performance by Nick Walsh surely adds to the ‘cheats’ argument. A horrendous red card and a multitude of shocking decisions led, for me at least, to Hibs losing a game they otherwise had a great chance of winning. Walsh failed to punish Aribo with a deserved second yellow; failed to book Scott Wright for blatant simulation; booked Scott Allan for dissent but ignored that same punishment when Barisic screamed at him whilst thumping the turf with an angry fist; blatantly ignored it when Boyle was poleaxed with an arm across his throat. I could go on, but what’s the point? The guy should be the subject of a withering report from the referee supervisor in the stand, but I think we all know that won’t happen.

The actual beam back itself was a decent attempt to let us watch the game in a crowd but for me it was spoiled by the poor camera work at Ibrox where the pitch was split from goal net to goal net with deep shadow and sunshine either side of the line. The camera operators were too slow in adjusting the brightness when the ball was in sunshine and as such it was difficult to follow the play. The feed dropping out at half time and not being reinstated until about ten minutes into the second half wasn’t great either. With that in mind, I’ll do my best to summarise what I witnessed.

With Magennis out, Jack Ross brought Jake-Doyle Hayes into his starting eleven and Hibs started on the front foot, denying the hosts any early chances. In fact, it was Hibs taking the initiative when clever play down the right allowed Cadden to deliver a fine cross into the box. Nisbet rose above his markers and headed the ball past a stranded Allan McGregor. That goal dented Rangers’ confidence and Hibs were controlling the play, coming close again when an effort from Cadden flew just wide.

With the home fans getting restless, the hosts created a chance for Morelos, but it was a weak effort and didn’t trouble Macey. Around the twenty five minute mark, Aribo was booked for a crude foul on Doig and soon after Aribo was again involved in the action. A rushed clearance by Barisic witnessed Porteous and Aribo closing in on a loose ball. Porteous got there first and clearly played the ball before Aribo went flying over the Hibs man. A roar from the crowd and an Oscar winning performance from Aribo had Nick Walsh reaching for his red card. I’ve since seen the challenge again and not only is it not a red card, it’s also not even a foul because there is no physical contact between the two players. An appalling decision from the official meant Hibs had to play for an hour with just ten men. Darren McGregor was introduced at the expense of Scott Allan who was booked as he left the park, presumably for letting Walsh know he was a disgrace.

As you might expect, the flow of the game moved to favour the Rangers but for all their possession they were finding ten man Hibs resolute in defending their lead. A Balogun effort flew harmlessly wide, but the yellow wall was proving hard to breach. McGinn then conceded a corner when in fact Hibs should have been awarded a free kick and Scott Wright booked for blatant simulation in the Hibs eighteen yard box. Two minutes later, McGinn was booked for a bread and butter challenge before Morelos headed an effort high over the bar. Minutes later, Aribo cynically clipped the heels of Boyle, but that foul went unpunished when it should have meant a second yellow for the Rangers man.

Into time added on, Nisbet was rightly booked for a foul, but he must have felt hard done by having watched the home side escape punishment for similar challenges. Half time arrived with Hibs still a goal up but unfortunately, I cannot offer any views on the first ten minutes of the second half following that break in the feed.

With the feed restored I watched Hibs concede yet another goal from a cross. Paterson delivered and Roofe netted a header. From the camera angle we had, Roofe looked well offside but there was little or no protest from the Hibs defenders. Moments later, Doig was able to get a shot away, but it was high and wide of the target. The Rangers turned up the heat, but Hibs were defending well and even created a chance for Cadden to restore the lead, but his shot was blocked before Hagi struck a low shot at goal, only to be denied by a cracking save from Macey who dived low to his right to keep the scores level.

With a need for fresh legs, Jack Ross replaced Doyle-Hayes with Gogic but two minutes later, Barisic sent over a cross that Hanlon got underneath allowing Morelos to nod home from close range. For the next ten minutes the hosts pressed for another but couldn’t find a way through. Hibs hadn’t given up the ghost and went looking for an equaliser. At that point, the Rangers made changes allowing them to run down the clock and bizarrely it looked like they were nervous about conceding again. For my money, that showed Gerrard was nervous and Jack Ross was willing to go for it.

The players

Macey – Both goals came from crosses into the box, and some might argue that he could have come for them. His save from Hagi was special and given the amount of possession the hosts had it’s surprising just how untested the keeper was.

McGinn – Paul had a steady game but the cross for the winner came from his side. In his defence however he was being left with two to mark at the time.

Porteous – Was playing really well until the red card and whilst I’ve criticised him in the past for throwing himself into challenges, I’m not doing so tonight. He won the ball, fair and square, and was done over by Aribo and Walsh. I sincerely hope we appeal this red.

Hanlon – Given we faced swathes of pressure for sixty minutes, I though Paul defended well and was unlucky with the flight of the ball for the winning goal. Maybe Macey could have helped him out?

Doig – Defended well enough, although the cross for the equaliser came from his side. Took a couple of hefty knocks without any action being taken by Walsh.

Cadden – His cross to Nisbet was superb as there seemed little space to get the delivery away.

Doyle-Hayes – Worked his socks off, as usual.

Allan – Unlucky to have to be subbed and I hope he was stronger in his language to Walsh than I suggested above.

Newell – Once again Joe was the glue that kept our defence and midfield in touch. I lost count of the number of times he carried the ball away from our pressured defence. My man of the match.

Boyle – Brutally treated by Barisic in particular, he’ll have a fine collection of bruises tonight, including one across his throat.

Nisbet – Started well, scored a fine header and was then largely isolated.

McGregor – Big Daz defended resolutely.

Gogic – We conceded shortly after he came on, but no blame attached.

Murphy – So quiet I hardly noticed him.

Jack Ross - I’ve no idea what he said post match, but he cannot have been pleased with that refereeing performance.

The referee – A quite appalling performance by a disgrace of a referee.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Took me a bit by surprise at how comfortable we were until the sending off/HT. The Champions didn't even have a shot on target. Today confirmed to me that we will do very well this season.

Great report Jonnyboy. The assault on Boyle was a red card The Rangers player going down was a fine bit of acting. Did not believe in reincarnation until now but Walsh is a reincarnation of R H Davidson.

Agree with every word johnnyboy. Walsh was and is a disgrace. Barasic assaulted Martin, not only a red card but warranted an arrest.
    I despise that mob and its followers

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with every word johnnyboy. Walsh was and is a disgrace. Barasic assaulted Martin, not only a red card but warranted an arrest.
    I despise that mob and its followers
    It's weird that Sportscene didn't show that one.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Great report Jonnyboy. The assault on Boyle was a red card The Rangers player going down was a fine bit of acting. Did not believe in reincarnation until now but Walsh is a reincarnation of R H Davidson.
    Was out today, followed the game on Livescore and made up my reaction based on the summary there.

Having just watched Hunscene my imagined reaction was confirmed.

Red card? Answer is simple, would a hun be even booked for that? (Rhetorical question BTW).

Can't comment on bookings/ non bookngs/ hun reds as Hunscene never showed them.

We shouldn't appeal the red as we know it will be rejected and its just a waste of money.

How do we react? Focus the anger in the players and press on with our challenge in the league; give them NO tickets for ER, sell a massive number of tickets for the semi and gub them. In short, show them we - the club and fans- will stand up to them and show the rest of the country we don't need to cheat to be successful.

Signed - a Hibs fan for 65 years who has seen 65 years of cheating.

Good report as always JB, this has been the angriest have been for a long time, f`n moron of a ref. its no wonder we hate the huns so much.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

After supporting HIBS for 60 odd years nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to Rangers or the other bum cheek

Good work under trying circumstances

Re the comment about the cross coming from McGinns side, I think it was Cadden that let that come in.

I wondered where McGinn was for the first goal. Being on the right of a back three I’d have expected him to be in that type of area but he seemed to be missing, although I’ve not seen it back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Re the comment about the cross coming from McGinns side, I think it was Cadden that let that come in.

I wondered where McGinn was for the first goal. Being on the right of a back three I’d have expected him to be in that type of area but he seemed to be missing, although I’ve not seen it back.
    Unfortunately I think it was Daz at fault for the 1st goal. He was a yard behind our other defenders and (possibly) played Roofe on. Paul H lost the ball for the 2nd but I thought Josh could have got closer also.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    I feel very sorry for our players tonight. I thought we were looking comfortable and giving them problems until the sending off. They looked very unsure and jittery at the back. The orcs in the stands were howling whatever unintelligible ***** they hurl at anything not in a blue shirt and were starting to get on their own teams back as they do.

For me Cadden, Newell and Doyle Hayes were controlling the midfield Boyle and Nisbet were causing problems with their movement and we looked pretty assured at the back. The sending off changed the game, as it was designed to by a ref with a history of favourable decisions for the hun. We tried to be compact and hit on the break but lost concentration and gave two fairly cheap goals with uncontested headers on the edge of our 6 yard box.

So nothing to show for our efforts..we looked like we were on a going day..so very frustrating. It deeply annoys me how that fetid institution is allowed to continually take advantage of weak referees and get its way by throwing toys continually out the pram. I hate huns with an absolute and consuming passion. Football in this country is putrid.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Unfortunately I think it was Daz at fault for the 1st goal. He was a yard behind our other defenders and (possibly) played Roofe on. Paul H lost the ball for the 2nd but I thought Josh could have got closer also.
    I’ve not seen them back but the first one just struck me as nobody really being where they should have been.

Collectively, we’re just leaving far too many players free in our six yard box to header the ball in. Have absolutely no idea what is causing it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I’m not long back from Easter Road and in the time it took me to get back home, I’ve not calmed down one bit regarding the fiasco I watched on the beam back from Ibrox. Some on here argue that referees are cheats and others say they’re just incompetent. I tend to go with the latter but today’s performance by Nick Walsh surely adds to the ‘cheats’ argument. A horrendous red card and a multitude of shocking decisions led, for me at least, to Hibs losing a game they otherwise had a great chance of winning. Walsh failed to punish Aribo with a deserved second yellow; failed to book Scott Wright for blatant simulation; booked Scott Allan for dissent but ignored that same punishment when Barisic screamed at him whilst thumping the turf with an angry fist; blatantly ignored it when Boyle was poleaxed with an arm across his throat. I could go on, but what’s the point? The guy should be the subject of a withering report from the referee supervisor in the stand, but I think we all know that won’t happen.

The actual beam back itself was a decent attempt to let us watch the game in a crowd but for me it was spoiled by the poor camera work at Ibrox where the pitch was split from goal net to goal net with deep shadow and sunshine either side of the line. The camera operators were too slow in adjusting the brightness when the ball was in sunshine and as such it was difficult to follow the play. The feed dropping out at half time and not being reinstated until about ten minutes into the second half wasn’t great either. With that in mind, I’ll do my best to summarise what I witnessed.

With Magennis out, Jack Ross brought Jake-Doyle Hayes into his starting eleven and Hibs started on the front foot, denying the hosts any early chances. In fact, it was Hibs taking the initiative when clever play down the right allowed Cadden to deliver a fine cross into the box. Nisbet rose above his markers and headed the ball past a stranded Allan McGregor. That goal dented Rangers’ confidence and Hibs were controlling the play, coming close again when an effort from Cadden flew just wide.

With the home fans getting restless, the hosts created a chance for Morelos, but it was a weak effort and didn’t trouble Macey. Around the twenty five minute mark, Aribo was booked for a crude foul on Doig and soon after Aribo was again involved in the action. A rushed clearance by Barisic witnessed Porteous and Aribo closing in on a loose ball. Porteous got there first and clearly played the ball before Aribo went flying over the Hibs man. A roar from the crowd and an Oscar winning performance from Aribo had Nick Walsh reaching for his red card. I’ve since seen the challenge again and not only is it not a red card, it’s also not even a foul because there is no physical contact between the two players. An appalling decision from the official meant Hibs had to play for an hour with just ten men. Darren McGregor was introduced at the expense of Scott Allan who was booked as he left the park, presumably for letting Walsh know he was a disgrace.

As you might expect, the flow of the game moved to favour the Rangers but for all their possession they were finding ten man Hibs resolute in defending their lead. A Balogun effort flew harmlessly wide, but the yellow wall was proving hard to breach. McGinn then conceded a corner when in fact Hibs should have been awarded a free kick and Scott Wright booked for blatant simulation in the Hibs eighteen yard box. Two minutes later, McGinn was booked for a bread and butter challenge before Morelos headed an effort high over the bar. Minutes later, Aribo cynically clipped the heels of Boyle, but that foul went unpunished when it should have meant a second yellow for the Rangers man.

Into time added on, Nisbet was rightly booked for a foul, but he must have felt hard done by having watched the home side escape punishment for similar challenges. Half time arrived with Hibs still a goal up but unfortunately, I cannot offer any views on the first ten minutes of the second half following that break in the feed.

With the feed restored I watched Hibs concede yet another goal from a cross. Paterson delivered and Roofe netted a header. From the camera angle we had, Roofe looked well offside but there was little or no protest from the Hibs defenders. Moments later, Doig was able to get a shot away, but it was high and wide of the target. The Rangers turned up the heat, but Hibs were defending well and even created a chance for Cadden to restore the lead, but his shot was blocked before Hagi struck a low shot at goal, only to be denied by a cracking save from Macey who dived low to his right to keep the scores level.

With a need for fresh legs, Jack Ross replaced Doyle-Hayes with Gogic but two minutes later, Barisic sent over a cross that Hanlon got underneath allowing Morelos to nod home from close range. For the next ten minutes the hosts pressed for another but couldn’t find a way through. Hibs hadn’t given up the ghost and went looking for an equaliser. At that point, the Rangers made changes allowing them to run down the clock and bizarrely it looked like they were nervous about conceding again. For my money, that showed Gerrard was nervous and Jack Ross was willing to go for it.

The players

Macey – Both goals came from crosses into the box, and some might argue that he could have come for them. His save from Hagi was special and given the amount of possession the hosts had it’s surprising just how untested the keeper was.

McGinn – Paul had a steady game but the cross for the winner came from his side. In his defence however he was being left with two to mark at the time.

Porteous – Was playing really well until the red card and whilst I’ve criticised him in the past for throwing himself into challenges, I’m not doing so tonight. He won the ball, fair and square, and was done over by Aribo and Walsh. I sincerely hope we appeal this red.

Hanlon – Given we faced swathes of pressure for sixty minutes, I though Paul defended well and was unlucky with the flight of the ball for the winning goal. Maybe Macey could have helped him out?

Doig – Defended well enough, although the cross for the equaliser came from his side. Took a couple of hefty knocks without any action being taken by Walsh.

Cadden – His cross to Nisbet was superb as there seemed little space to get the delivery away.

Doyle-Hayes – Worked his socks off, as usual.

Allan – Unlucky to have to be subbed and I hope he was stronger in his language to Walsh than I suggested above.

Newell – Once again Joe was the glue that kept our defence and midfield in touch. I lost count of the number of times he carried the ball away from our pressured defence. My man of the match.

Boyle – Brutally treated by Barisic in particular, he’ll have a fine collection of bruises tonight, including one across his throat.

Nisbet – Started well, scored a fine header and was then largely isolated.

McGregor – Big Daz defended resolutely.

Gogic – We conceded shortly after he came on, but no blame attached.

Murphy – So quiet I hardly noticed him.

Jack Ross - I’ve no idea what he said post match, but he cannot have been pleased with that refereeing performance.

The referee – A quite appalling performance by a disgrace of a referee.
    Wow watch the Blood Pressure now!

Excellent report but why won't anyone from within the club come out and call it for what we all seen today which was blatant cheating?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by galahibee View Post
    Excellent report but why won't anyone from within the club come out and call it for what we all seen today which was blatant cheating?
    The west coast media would do their best to ridicule any statement from hibs.the media done their best in 2016,after the cup final,I.e.hibs fans attacked rangers players etc,I imagine the appeal would be held in the blue room at ibrox.in the chair would be brother Keith Jackson,sitting in his red white and blue suit,sitting proudly in his bowler hat and white gloves.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Good summary as always, JB.

Absolutely sickened to be done over by a referee against them again.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Roofe goal was offside.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Roofe goal was offside.
    Have you seen the offside from side on?

No way Macey can come for either goal. Defenders not marking the men was the issue.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    No way Macey can come for either goal. Defenders not marking the men was the issue.

Yip

It is like being strapped to a chair with a straight jacket on with your eyes prised open watching the same movie on repeat

Murder!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    While Macey shouldn't have come for the crosses he should definitely have saved the second one virtually straight at him.

First Team Regular
    In full set of armour, let alone a tin hat
    Fully agree that Ryan got the ball
    Fully agree that Aribo did the full tom Daley
    But Ryan is at the very least verging on reckless/ out of control/ dangerous
    I don’t think he’d win an appeal

Porto made a great start to the game but he could easily have intercepted the ball without flying in like that.
    Saying that, would Goldson have been dismissed at Ibrox for the same challenge? Almost certainly not.
    The guys all worked hard under very difficult circumstances while Newell was our stand-out. The only player with any real composure on the ball during the onslaught.
    The goals we lost were so soft, which adds to the frustration. Roofe all alone for the first and Cadden was really poor against Barisic for the second.
    It looked like Macey had time to come for the first and a top keeper saves the second one, but that's being overly harsh on the big man.
    Doig was up against Hagi and Patterson, which is a tough gig, and toiled on occasion.

First Team Breakthrough
    Jack Ross livid with the goals we lost. (I'm talking about the second goal here)

He might be angry with the cross being allowed and he might be talking about the keeper could have done better.

I think what really might be angering him is that not for first time this season a Hibs centre back missed the ball in the air and it then fell nicely for the attacker.

Please please please get a centre back who can win the ball in the air !

We are really beginning to look a good team but there are certain players who's journey with Hibs might be drawing to a close.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    9 times out of 10 in Scotland Porto's challenge wouldn't even have been a foul as he won the ball cleanly.

3 factors got him a red; the reaction of the Rangers support to the challenge, Aribo cheating by feigning injury when he wasn't even touched, and that wee rat Walsh who couldn't wait to penalise Hibs at every opportunity. In previous Hibs games he has seldom given us any decisions.

That's farcical refereeing decisions given the Rangers 5 points out of 6 in their last 2 home games. Every time we go there we get shafted and it happens time after time to other clubs.

Like the mass sectarian singing it needs called out but we all know it never will.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Porto made a great start to the game but he could easily have intercepted the ball without flying in like that.
    Saying that, would Goldson have been dismissed at Ibrox for the same challenge? Almost certainly not.
    The guys all worked hard under very difficult circumstances while Newell was our stand-out. The only player with any real composure on the ball during the onslaught.
    The goals we lost were so soft, which adds to the frustration. Roofe all alone for the first and Cadden was really poor against Barisic for the second.
    It looked like Macey had time to come for the first and a top keeper saves the second one, but that's being overly harsh on the big man.
    Doig was up against Hagi and Patterson, which is a tough gig, and toiled on occasion.
    Think Macey should definitely save the second goal. Poor marking again in the box for both goals. Shouldn't be happening with three centre backs imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Think Macey should definitely save the second goal. Poor marking again in the box for both goals. Shouldn't be happening with three centre backs imo.
    Definitely time to give Wood a run regardless of suspension to Porto.
    His pedigree suggests he could be pretty useful.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    In full set of armour, let alone a tin hat
    Fully agree that Ryan got the ball
    Fully agree that Aribo did the full tom Daley
    But Ryan is at the very least verging on reckless/ out of control/ dangerous
    I don’t think he’d win an appeal

I'm raging right enough, but my rage is at Porteous. We're winning 1-0 and looking fairly comfortable and his brain bursts again.
    I think it's fairly obvious what he is trying to do, win the ball, but time it so he can take the man right out too, unfortunately he timed it so badly, he did neither.
    His attempt at winning the ball missed, he went right over the top of the ball and ended up just about sitting on it.
    He also mistimed it so badly that he made absolutely zero contact with Aribo, who should have been booked for simulation (even Gerard admitted there was no contact, so why was the physio on the pitch to treat Aribo)?

I don't think Porteous needed to make the challenge, but having done so, he gave their 12th man, sorry, ref, the ideal opportunity to send him off, he must have thought it was Christmas come early.
    So in my opinion, another rush of blood to the heid by Porto has hugely contributed to that result and that's why I am angry, will the laddie ever learn? especially against that lot
    Last edited by MB62; 04-10-2021 at 11:48 AM.

[QUOTE=ACLeith;6713452]Was out today, followed the game on Livescore and made up my reaction based on the summary there.

Having just watched Hunscene my imagined reaction was confirmed.

i still cant believe the narrative on sportscene. where was Michael Stewart when you needed him. It all seemed very scripted and i normally have time for Faddy as well, he normally speaks it fair.

First Team Breakthrough
    Just seen the highlights now, looked like they were all over us second half as expected with 10 men, but the goals we gave away were terrible. No one marking Roofe getting a free header on the penalty spot and god knows what Macey was doing for the second goal? Header was straight at him.