hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd imagine the standard of Greek football is higher than Scotland. Scotland's coefficient is high because of the performances of 1 team in recent years, Rangers, it doesn't mean the overall standard of the league is better.
    That is simply not true, the coefficient points contributed over the last 5 years is; Ranger 49.5, Celtic 49.0, Aberdeen 11.0, Hibs 6.0, Motherwell 3.0 and Killie 1.0, Rangers have certainly taken the lead recently but Scotland's coefficient is high because of both the glasgow bigots.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I'll take 4 st johnstone/greece/scotland type performances... ruinous football and two penalty shoot outs if it gets us in the groups..

Blog Entries
    As the saying goes ……Beware of Greeks beating Hibs.

PAOK, recently beat Feyenoord, Heracles and a narrow 1-0 defeat from PSV. Friendlies mind you.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Wonder when we'll find out if successful in the ballot. Would have thought they'd be hoping for an answer from ECc so they could just do it once with hopefully something like 7,500 fans.

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Wonder when we'll find out if successful in the ballot. Would have thought they'd be hoping for an answer from ECc so they could just do it once with hopefully something like 7,500 fans.
    Im assuming they’re using some software to do the sorting/picking so hopefully soon

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Awk well. We saw off Tripolis a couple of years back, we can see off this mob too.

hopefully it’s bohemians instead... if we get past the Croats

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    That is simply not true, the coefficient points contributed over the last 5 years is; Ranger 49.5, Celtic 49.0, Aberdeen 11.0, Hibs 6.0, Motherwell 3.0 and Killie 1.0, Rangers have certainly taken the lead recently but Scotland's coefficient is high because of both the glasgow bigots.
    Over 5 years yes but id imagine if you looked at the last 2 or 3 seasons it's Rangers who are the biggest contributers.

I'd imagine the standard of Greek football is higher than Scotland. Scotland's coefficient is high because of the performances of 1 team in recent years, Rangers, it doesn't mean the overall standard of the league is better.
    1 team? It’s based over 5 years in which time Celtic contributed a fair bit, Rangers over the last couple of years, even we have gained points towards it. If the league was of a much higher standard then their teams would be able to compete to a better level in Europe.

@hibs.net private member
    This a decent draw for us. Both are hard games but we certainly have a very good chance of qualifying.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Not sure the current hibs side is that much worse than Elfsborg or Union Berlin tbh.
    Hibs would struggle in Bundesliga 2 never mind playing a Bundesliga 1 team. Not sure how strong the Danish league is but most of their top players are Legionnaires playing abroad.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Over 5 years yes but id imagine if you looked at the last 2 or 3 seasons it's Rangers who are the biggest contributers.
    You cannot negate Celtc's contribution to suit your argument, the coefficient is based over 5/6 years, in those years the huns got put out by a Luxembourger team while Celtc played in the CL group stages. Yes their last 2 years have been good but before that Celtc produced the vast majority of Scotland's coefficient points. We would not be heading to 9th position if it wasn't for both the bigot brothers points.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    PAOK, recently beat Feyenoord, Heracles and a narrow 1-0 defeat from PSV. Friendlies mind you.
    Tbf we beat Arsenal in a friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    You cannot negate Celtc's contribution to suit your argument, the coefficient is based over 5/6 years, in those years the huns got put out by a Luxembourger team while Celtc played in the CL group stages. Yes their last 2 years have been good but before that Celtc produced the vast majority of Scotland's coefficient points. We would not be heading to 9th position if it wasn't for both the bigot brothers points.
    There is no argument. I'm simply pointing out that it's predominantly Rangers who have contributed to Scotland's coefficient the last couple of seasons. That's an undisputable fact.

There is no argument. I'm simply pointing out that it's predominantly Rangers who have contributed to Scotland's coefficient the last couple of seasons. That's an undisputable fact.
    But we aren’t 9 places above Greece purely due to Rangers, it’s due to us having two top teams contributing well over the last 5 years with 2 others contributing a little. Strength of a league is purely based on opinion, however it’s undeniable that Scottish clubs have been far more successful than Greek clubs in Europe in the past 5 years.

If we can compete with Rangers in one off games in the league then there’s no reason we can’t beat teams like PAOK if we turn up on the night. Need to turn up on Thursday first though

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Most leagues have 1 or 2 sides making up the bulk of their coefficient points.

Can't be bothered looking it up now but I'd wager that the Greek leagues current coefficient points rely on olympiakos more than Scotland does on Celtic or rangers.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Hibs would struggle in Bundesliga 2 never mind playing a Bundesliga 1 team. Not sure how strong the Danish league is but most of their top players are Legionnaires playing abroad.
    Elfsborg are from Sweden, whose league is pretty poor just now.

I have no idea how strong bundesliga 2 is but I'd doubt we'd be the worst team there.

Aberdeen were very unlucky to not put out the team that came 7th in the premier League a couple of seasons back

The Greeks only have 2 teams left in Europe.
    Scotland still have all 5 standing .....................for another 11 days.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 02-08-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This a decent draw for us. Both are hard games but we certainly have a very good chance of qualifying.
    Atleast someone is positive. 👍

First Team Breakthrough
    Bohemians 1-0 up v PAOK

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I’m not sure we would struggle in 2 Bundeslliga. If you look at 538’s global club ranking, which hasn’t been updated for this season, we are ranked above half of the 2 Bundesliga teams. I’ve seen Regensburg play, and I don’t remember thinking they were clearly better than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    As the saying goes ……Beware of Greeks beating Hibs.
    Quidquid id est timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Not that I'm a Latin scholar or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    I’m not sure we would struggle in 2 Bundeslliga. If you look at 538’s global club ranking, which hasn’t been updated for this season, we are ranked above half of the 2 Bundesliga teams. I’ve seen Regensburg play, and I don’t remember thinking they were clearly better than us.
    I know this means nothing, but did Brondby not follow up beating us on penalties by knocking out Hertha BSC?