hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It was a penalty, no doubt of that. That was my view on viewing live and re-iterated when seeing the replay.

However, TV gave us a very good view of the incident and I think the ref had a different view from a different angle and at ground level with other players around and I can see why he may not have been 100% certain. It is one of these frustrating incidents as you know if it was rangers or celtic it would have been awarded without hesitation

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somebody posted this on the PM board.

https://twitter.com/ronniemccardle/s...319955462?s=21

As clear a penalty as you'll ever see,
    From 120 yards away, it looked like a clear penalty. Why it wasn't given is not clear to me and our refs should get the opportunity to discuss their logic. What I also can't understand is why the linesman didn't have a word with the ref at the next break in play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr What If? View Post
    The ref is lucky we still went on to win the game. Referees do change the outcome of games with their decisions, no ref wants to be the one on the back pages for making that game changing error. I agree though, that was an absolute shocker.
    Agreed. I said at the game that the ref was a coward, because he would have had to send the left back off.

The ref bottled it.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Slatterly should have been sent off for a second yellow as well. Booked, then emptied another hibs player straight away.

Carroll also raised his hands to Boyle in a similar manner to which Boyle was booked for in Europe. Motherwell should never have finished with 11 men on the pitch.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Not even discussed on Sportscene. Mentioned during commentary, not referred to in the studio.
    The content and edit of Sportscene's highlights is rank rotten. They regularly miss out key talking points. The highlights of the Hearts v Celtic game didn't even show Halliday's shocking challenge on McGregor which went unpunished.

I assumed the red card suggestion would've been Van Veen. His was a red and not a yellow IMO.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Shocker of a decision. Clear goal scoring opportunity and zero attempt to play the play-straight red all day long. Magennis falling to the side and getting a toe on the ball has given the ref an out I think, if he fell face forwards and made no contact with the ball I don’t think the ref could have not given it. He’s defo bottled the decision though.

Left by mutual consent!
    I dont usually condone this but I was glad the players surrounded the ref at half time. We get booted off the park most weeks and need to make sure we're in the refs ear. Boyle in particular must be the most fouled player in the league.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    that's a foul anywhere else on the pitch, outrageous the referee didn't consider that a foul

David Munro, cheat or just incompetent

Whichever angle you look at it, it's a shocker.

Ref is either a coward or a cheat. He can't have it any other way. I strongly suspect the former. Hibs penalty, Motherwell player sent off. Ref couldn't stand the pressure of giving that. Needs to be barred from top flight games.

Definitely a clean penalty and a card, yellow or red depending on ref perception of "promising situation".

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    This wasn't a difficult call for the ref to make. Not his best day at the office.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post

Ref is either a coward or a cheat. He can't have it any other way. I strongly suspect the former. Hibs penalty, Motherwell player sent off. Ref couldn't stand the pressure of giving that. Needs to be barred from top flight games.
    Or he just made a mistake!

We all saw it, and he prob realised it himself pretty quickly.

Ref under pressure in a half empty Motherwell stadium??! You're having a laugh!!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Ref under pressure in a half empty Motherwell stadium??! You're having a laugh!!
    It was definitely a mistake, it’s whether or not he chose to make the mistake that’s the issue.

I don’t think he was cheating, though - if he was we’d have seen Newell booked and the penalty we did get, waved away.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It was definitely a mistake, it’s whether or not he chose to make the mistake that’s the issue.

I don’t think he was cheating, though - if he was we’d have seen Newell booked and the penalty we did get, waved away.
    What was the linesman doing? Surely he should have insisted for something as blatant as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post

If the ref had VAR and came to the same decision then I agree, but given the one time view from an angle not as clear as that we all had on TV, the referee should be given some leeway. They could just make a bad call

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    If the ref had VAR and came to the same decision then I agree, but given the one time view from an angle not as clear as that we all had on TV, the referee should be given some leeway. They could just make a bad call
    What about the linesman who had a great angle?

I preferred it when they flagged and the referee had to overrule them if they disagreed - none of this secret squirrel stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Not sure if I've misunderstood your post but if the referee chose to make a mistake that is cheating is it not? It's only a mistake if its accidental

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

I preferred it when they flagged and the referee had to overrule them if they disagreed - none of this secret squirrel stuff!
    They’re all *****bags. Very rarely will a linesman give a decision, even which way a throw in should be. Embarrassing sometimes looking at ref/Lino just look at each other for a second wondering who will call first and then just guessing. Only thing a Lino is useful for now is ball in/out and offside calls.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    They’re all *****bags. Very rarely will a linesman give a decision, even which way a throw in should be. Embarrassing sometimes looking at ref/Lino just look at each other for a second wondering who will call first and then just guessing. Only thing a Lino is useful for now is ball in/out and offside calls.
    Between the ref and the linesman, at least one of them would have seen that it was a clear foul.

Linesman should live up to their new name of Assistant referee but sadly very few ever do and leave it to the ref unless consulted.

I think the ball went out of play and in that case the ref could have gone over to the Linesman and asked for his view if he was unsure.

Between the ref and the linesman, at least one of them would have seen that it was a clear foul.

I’ve no doubt the Lino would’ve seen it, 100%, just they're **** scared of making any big decision.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Nope, don't accept that. There was no part of that challenge that gave him any scope to think it was anything other than a pen. Well player didn't touch the ball at any time and there was no reason for Hibs player to take a dive.

It was live on Sky ! Much, much easier to not give a decision than to do so.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    The card not given that bothered me more was for Donnelly in the last seconds. Clear foul in the corner, he’d had a couple previous to it, it the ref blew for full time.

I had a tenner at 50/1 on Hibs win, over 3 Hibs corners, Boyle to score, Porteous booked, Donnelly booked.

When the ref blew I thought it was for the foul! I’ll take the 3 points, but a bonus £500 would’ve been good!!

That image shows the tough call that the referee had as he didn’t have a great view. No excuse for the linesman though.

Awful decision. And I’m pretty surprised (even knowing what they’re like) to learn that this didn’t get any showing or mention on sportscene!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    That image shows the tough call that the referee had as he didn’t have a great view. No excuse for the linesman though.
    Personally don’t think either of them have any excuse. Thankfully we got the 3 points in the end anyway.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Awful decision. And I’m pretty surprised (even knowing what they’re like) to learn that this didn’t get any showing or mention on sportscene!!
    It was mentioned. Commentator definitely said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmount Hibs View Post
    Agreed. I said at the game that the ref was a coward, because he would have had to send the left back off.

The ref bottled it.
    That's how I saw it

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    It was mentioned. Commentator definitely said it.
    Ah - I haven’t seen highlights yet. Was just going on what I seen on there. Regardless it definitely should have been a big talking point.