hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Penalty and red card not given

Great win yesterday, but it was a lot closer than it should've been. Magennis 1 on 1 with the goalie, barged in the back, goal kick given. No attempt to play the ball, so a red card it had to be.

How on earth both ref and linesman missed it, I don't know. Coupled with Newells ridiculous red card in Europe, this season has started well in terms of referees.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great win yesterday, but it was a lot closer than it should've been. Magennis 1 on 1 with the goalie, barged in the back, goal kick given. No attempt to play the ball, so a red card it had to be.

How on earth both ref and linesman missed it, I don't know. Coupled with Newells ridiculous red card in Europe, this season has started well in terms of referees.
    Don’t think it would’ve been straight red as I thought Magennis was slightly wide, certainly not a clear goal scoring opportunity, however it would’ve been a yellow and thus a red anyway. Clear push in the back. It showed the ref after it and he was saying ‘not enough for me’ - which really gets on my goat. Penalties are held to a different set of ‘rules’ by referees, which is ludicrous, a foul is a foul regardless of where on the pitch it is.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Don’t think it would’ve been straight red as I thought Magennis was slightly wide, certainly not a clear goal scoring opportunity, however it would’ve been a yellow and thus a red anyway. Clear push in the back. It showed the ref after it and he was saying ‘not enough for me’ - which really gets on my goat. Penalties are held to a different set of ‘rules’ by referees, which is ludicrous, a foul is a foul regardless of where on the pitch it is.
    He was about to shoot with only goalie to beat. Definitely a straight red. A definite goalscoring opportunity.

I agree about your second statement. Penalties are fouls in the box, nothing more. He gave 20 softer fouls than that. Another joker of a ref.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    He’s through on goal, wide or not that’s a clear goal scoring opportunity and a red card all day long. Even if the ref was sympathetic and viewed it as an attempt to play the ball, it’s a second yellow for the player.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Compare our that wasn’t given to St Mirren’s which was

He was about to shoot with only goalie to beat. Definitely a straight red. A definite goalscoring opportunity.

I agree about your second statement. Penalties are fouls in the box, nothing more. He gave 20 softer fouls than that. Another joker of a ref.
    Difficulty of the chance is taken into consideration though and by no means was it a gimme. On the angle with the keeper in the sticks.

He actually gave a foul about 30 seconds later on Stevenson for far less. Frustrating!

First Team Breakthrough
    You need to watch it again. He's clean through with the keeper to beat and he's about to shoot. It's as clear cut a goal scoring opportunity as you're likely to see.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    He’s through on goal, wide or not that’s a clear goal scoring opportunity and a red card all day long. Even if the ref was sympathetic and viewed it as an attempt to play the ball, it’s a second yellow for the player.

Which it never was in a million years.

(not that you were actually saying that, Matty).

Having seen the replays this morning I can’t believe it wasn’t given, the only reason I can summarise is the fact Magennis threw his arms up and maybe made him “looking for it” even though it was a clear foul.

They all even themselves out though, so they say.

Somebody posted this on the PM board.

https://twitter.com/ronniemccardle/s...319955462?s=21

As clear a penalty as you'll ever see,

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    You need to watch it again. He's clean through with the keeper to beat and he's about to shoot. It's as clear cut a goal scoring opportunity as you're likely to see.
    I’ve watched it plenty, my opinion is that he’s wide enough and being closed down by the keeper that it’s not clear.

I’ve watched it plenty, my opinion is that he’s wide enough and being closed down by the keeper that it’s not clear.
    It's a clear shot at the goal from 10/12 yards. He's really not that wide and the goalie is always a factor. Stonewall red mate.

It's an opportunity we're talking about here. That's definitely a clear opportunity.

First Team Breakthrough
    Goal scoring opportunity doesn't mean that the player is guaranteed to score. I'd expect any decent finisher to tuck that away 9 times out of 10.

It's a clear shot at the goal from 10/12 yards. He's really not that wide and the goalie is always a factor. Stonewall red mate.

It's an opportunity we're talking about here. That's definitely a clear opportunity.

Even if the it wasn't a straight red, at the very least it should have been a penalty and 2nd yellow, so most likely 2-2 at HT and playing against ten men the rest of the match.

Meanwhile, the Motherwell manager moans about the penalty we did get as 'not being in the spirit of the game'

He’s wide enough that increases the difficulty of scoring, the keeper is always a factor but in this case he’s narrowed the angle completely and is only a few yards away.

I just don’t think a ref would ever give that as a straight red all things considered, but 100% a second yellow.

Blog Entries
    The fact is that it was indisputably a foul in the box, so cast iron penalty. Any ref missing it should be demoted to pub football for the rest of the season.

He’s wide enough that increases the difficulty of scoring, the keeper is always a factor but in this case he’s narrowed the angle completely and is only a few yards away.

I just don’t think a ref would ever give that as a straight red all things considered, but 100% a second yellow.
    Its still a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Goal scoring opportunity doesn't mean that the player is guaranteed to score. I'd expect any decent finisher to tuck that away 9 times out of 10.
    Surely the colour doesnt matter and the point is everyone who saw it says its a pen apart from the ref and his assistant a pair of homers obviously.

First Team Breakthrough

Except he hasn't. I'm looking at a still frame right now. He's about halfway between the goal line and the ball when the foul is made and there's loads of space to get the ball past him.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Was a clear penalty.

The defender never even touched the ball in the attempted tackle.

The ref just didn’t want to make a big decision and neither did the linesman who was hopeless.

I thought Motherwell were a bit more dirty than physical. Scything down Boyle at every opportunity as well.

Could have cost us a win.

Except he hasn't. I'm looking at a still frame right now. He's about halfway between the goal line and the ball when the foul is made and there's loads of space to get the ball past him.
    So he’s narrowed the angle then. The still shows the keeper outside his 6 yard box. All redundant anyway as it would still have been a sending off regardless.

The ref is lucky we still went on to win the game. Referees do change the outcome of games with their decisions, no ref wants to be the one on the back pages for making that game changing error. I agree though, that was an absolute shocker.

I try and not have the green tinted specs on with incidents like that to see if I can understand how the referee arrived at their decision and the best I can come up with it that Munro saw it as a shoulder challenge.

The problem with that however is Magennis is barged over from behind by Carroll so Magennis doesn't have the opportunity to go shoulder to shoulder.

Additionally, a contributing factor in all of it is Magennis already being pushed wide by having to ride the outstrerched leg of Mugabi before being bundled over, which typified Motherwell's tackling overall yesterday. I.e. beat one player and there's another waiting to clean you out.

First Team Breakthrough
    So he’s narrowed the angle then. The still shows the keeper outside his 6 yard box. All redundant anyway as it would still have been a sending off regardless.
    Not enough, which is the point. If he's not guaranteed to save it - which he isn't - then it's a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

But you're right, it makes little difference whether it was a straight red or a second yellow. It was a clear penalty and clear sending off.

35 mins into the season and the refs had already denied us a stonewall penalty and red card.

Nothing changes in Scottish football...

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Somebody posted this on the PM board.

https://twitter.com/ronniemccardle/s...319955462?s=21

As clear a penalty as you'll ever see,

That’s a penalty and booking all day long. What was the ref thinking?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    He takes out his standing leg. No question over it. Penalty.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Not even discussed on Sportscene. Mentioned during commentary, not referred to in the studio.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Not even discussed on Sportscene. Mentioned during commentary, not referred to in the studio.
    Biggest talking point of the match

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Biggest talking point of the match
    Was odd not to mention it, but I assumed this was because it had no impact on the overall result. If they had, there would have been less time to talk about the games played the day prior.