hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we get a hefty chunk for Doig, which I see could be at least £4m according to the papers with a bidding war.

Does this make us more likely to keep Porto, Nisbet and Boyle (I know he has a transfer clause)?

Unless we get an insane offer in for them, surely we are in an amazing position to reject all bids at this stage in the season.

One of the big fears was we could lose these players and, despite being in a very healthy financial position, we would lose our ability to properly compete in 21/22.

Does the Doig sale mean that could be it in terms of outgoing and negate a necessity for further sales?

Also, although financially our most valuable asset, is Doig also the player the team can afford to lose the most out of them all? I'd say so, so fantastic business overall.

Replacing good players is always difficult for us. We want to keep as many of them as possible.

Luckily Ron knows this too. Other clubs can either meet our valuations or they can bolt.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Doig's big money sale will also give a number of other key players the itch.. ie, it'll have them thinking about their big pay day move..

This is the negative impact of such a big money move for a guy who has only played one season

I think it will provide the funding and cash flow to fund:-

- centre half - likely McCart
    - Mueller - get it done now not Jan
    - Striker - most difficult position but would also mitigate Nisbet going. Shankland would be a great signing but I can’t see it.

Therefore not only would squad be stronger but would mitigate late departure:-
    - Boyle with Mueller in.
    - Nisbet with new striker in and Mueller ability to play up front t
    - Porto with day McCart and then another centre half say Jason Kerr

Boyle leaving would be the biggest impact and unfortunately we have the least amount of control assuming buy out correct.

A big fee would also compensate for the losses last year and is good business. It would also give us flex in Jan window probably more than most teams.
    Last edited by Col2; 02-08-2021 at 11:10 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Unfortunately not a lot we can do if someone matches Boyle’s release clause. Can’t believe there are no clubs down south who won’t take a punt on him at that price.
    But just because someone matches the clause, it doesn`t mean he will automatically go, just means it`s an option surely. Mind you, if someone offers him bigger wages, I can`t see Martin turning it down (I wouldn`t either but never going to be in that position lol)

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I'm just not seeing what some see in Shankland. He has looked average at best for utd. He certainly wouldn't get in the team before Nisbet or Doidge and if we were looking at a replacement for Nisbet there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a big step down quality wise.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    I think it will provide the funding and cash flow to fund:-

- centre half - likely McCart
    - Mueller - get it done now not Jan
    - Striker - most difficult position but would also mitigate Nisbet going. Shankland would be a great signing but I can’t see it.

Therefore not only would squad be stronger but would mitigate late departure:-
    - Boyle with Mueller in.
    - Nisbet with new striker in and Mueller ability to play up front t
    - Porto with day McCart and then another centre half say Jason Kerr

Boyle leaving would be the biggest impact and unfortunately we have the least amount of control assuming buy out correct.

A big fee would also compensate for the losses last year and is good business. It would also give us flex in Jan window probably more than most teams.
    Remember we’ll need a left back too!

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    But just because someone matches the clause, it doesn`t mean he will automatically go, just means it`s an option surely. Mind you, if someone offers him bigger wages, I can`t see Martin turning it down (I wouldn`t either but never going to be in that position lol)
    No it doesn’t, he’d have to want to go for sure, but I’d expect he would get offered higher wages. Couldn’t blame him if he left, he’s been brilliant for us. Of the players being linked with moves away I’d want to lose him least of all.

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    Worried someone is gonna take Boyle late in the transfer window via the release clause. He's making us tick the noo.
    Would be a huge loss irreplaceable when on form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    Doig's big money sale will also give a number of other key players the itch.. ie, it'll have them thinking about their big pay day move..

This is the negative impact of such a big money move for a guy who has only played one season
    Only way they will get a move is to play out of their skin every game , which only helps us get better results, so as much of a positive rather than a negative
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I'm just not seeing what some see in Shankland. He has looked average at best for utd. He certainly wouldn't get in the team before Nisbet or Doidge and if we were looking at a replacement for Nisbet there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a big step down quality wise.
    Not seen a lot of Shankland admittedly, but the replay at ER he scored a brilliant goal, real touch of class. Not saying we are even interested in him, but the chances we create I think he’d do really well.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Nice to know that we won't just sell as soon as a bid comes in.

I can't help but think that if RG hadn't taken over, we'd have sold Josh for a fraction of what we're asking for. We wouldn't even have had the balls to ask for so much!
    That's certainly wasn't the experience with SJM or Brown and Thomson previously.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    No it doesn’t, he’d have to want to go for sure, but I’d expect he would get offered higher wages. Couldn’t blame him if he left, he’s been brilliant for us. Of the players being linked with moves away I’d want to lose him least of all.
    I suppose it may depend on who comes in for him.

Remember, we have our own clause, Racheal may not want to move down south!!

Left by mutual consent!
    If he goes for £4M

Left back - young and ambitious
    Centre back - experienced but under 25
    Striker - young and ambitious

@hibs.net private member
    I'm a bit confused by the desire to get Shankland in from some. Has has done enough in the SPL to warrant us spending what would be a huge transfer fee, and then presumably massive wages?

I don't think he's worth it. One of the things I've been impressed by Nisbet is his touch, ability in the air and general work rate. I thought he was just a goal scorer but he's got a lot to his point game. I'm not sure we create enough chances to allow someone like Shankland to thrive.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    With perhaps 2 or 3 exceptions every club in the world is a selling club. If the price is right for any player then they will go.

Hibs may say Boyle, Porteous and Nisbet aren't for sale and we might not be actively trying to flog them but if an offer of £3m came in tomorrow then it would be considered and, with a little bit of negotiation, more than likely accepted. I don't think Doig going in the coming days has any influence on that at all.

We are now arguably in a better position than before to replace these players albeit there will be financial issues from the last 18 months to be shored up. With the sale of any player there is a risk that they are not replaced with comparable quality, that is most obvious with someone like John McGinn who was to all intents and purposes irreplaceable because of the level of performance he had reached. I'm not sure we are in that position with any of the 3 players named, all of them are good players but I'm sceptical any are ready to walk straight into an EPL starting 11.
    Yup. Bear in mind that right now Barcelona can't afford a contract for Messi FFS, Real Madrid have let go Varane and Ramos to balance the books and Juve can't afford a guy from Sassuolo.

We are in an excellent position financially. Credit to Petrie, STF and of course Ron.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    That's certainly wasn't the experience with SJM or Brown and Thomson previously.
    SJM I’ll give you but you’re going back a bit with the other 2

You know what I mean though. Did anyone come in for Brown or Thomson in their first season?

I know we got good money for them both but they were a lot more established than Doig when they left. Same with Kenny Miller or Steven Fletcher.

Anyways, I wasn’t having a dig at Petrie or STF, more trying to pay RG a compliment!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Tend to agree can't remember the last time I seen him play and thought was good. Looks slow to me to be honest and wouldn't really be a good replacement for KN imo

I doubt we will go on any kind of spending spree. Appropriate small fees will be paid for young up and coming players (Nisbett, Mackay) and the rest will be used to shore up finances following Covid and reinstating the investments in the stadium (large screen, digital ribbon etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Yeah, the idea that Hibs have accepted first bids for players is complete rubbish

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I doubt we will go on any kind of spending spree. Appropriate small fees will be paid for young up and coming players (Nisbett, Mackay) and the rest will be used to shore up finances following Covid and reinstating the investments in the stadium (large screen, digital ribbon etc).

And if we do get a big fee for Josh, watch the club of any player we are interested in, bump up their prices

And if we do get a big fee for Josh, watch the club of any player we are interested in, bump up their prices
    That's why clubs come out with the "Undisclosed Fee"

I think unlike previous occasions, we’re really going to see the money being reinvested.

I think looking at Aberdeen they look like they’ll be good this year and have bought very well. We’ll need to push on again if we have hopes of coming third.

No doubt if we sell Doig that we’ll bring in guys like Mueller and McCart though.

My real fear is losing Nisbet/Boyle as they’d be extremely difficult to replace.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'd try and get Boyle on a better contract without a release clause and Id also improve Nisbet's contract without asking for him to extend longer. Id love Porto to sign a new deal hes still young for a CH.

Left by mutual consent!
    Thats when shopping in another market becomes useful. We now have the US covered, hopefully the Balkan region will come into play for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Remember we’ll need a left back too!
    Of course! Meant to put that in.

So LB, CH, Striker and Mueller early

Just like we would if we were going to get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    I'd try and get Boyle on a better contract without a release clause and Id also improve Nisbet's contract without asking for him to extend longer. Id love Porto to sign a new deal hes still young for a CH.
    Why would we improve a players contract without getting anything in return? A better deal means a longer deal for me.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    I suspect we have deals agreed before we went public on Doigs impending departure

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Yeah, the idea that Hibs have accepted first bids for players is complete rubbish
    The gripe with Petrie's Hibs wasn't that we didn't sell players for a fair price, but that barely any of it was re-invested in the first team.

We're clearly seeing proportionate spending under Gordon.

Boyle gets Hibs and you can see how much he loves playing for us, his attitude is similar to Gray, Daz, Lewis and Hanlon and I can see him seeing out his career here. A settled player is happy player, he plays with a smile on his face and is integral to the atmosphere in the changing room, give him a wage rise and extend his stay.