hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Knock-On Effect of Doig Sale

If we get a hefty chunk for Doig, which I see could be at least £4m according to the papers with a bidding war.

Does this make us more likely to keep Porto, Nisbet and Boyle (I know he has a transfer clause)?

Unless we get an insane offer in for them, surely we are in an amazing position to reject all bids at this stage in the season.

One of the big fears was we could lose these players and, despite being in a very healthy financial position, we would lose our ability to properly compete in 21/22.

Does the Doig sale mean that could be it in terms of outgoing and negate a necessity for further sales?

Also, although financially our most valuable asset, is Doig also the player the team can afford to lose the most out of them all? I'd say so, so fantastic business overall.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we get a hefty chunk for Doig, which I see could be at least £4m according to the papers with a bidding war.

Does this make us more likely to keep Porto, Nisbet and Boyle (I know he has a transfer clause)?

Unless we get an insane offer in for them, surely we are in an amazing position to reject all bids at this stage in the season.

One of the big fears was we could lose these players and, despite being in a very healthy financial position, we would lose our ability to properly compete in 21/22.

Does the Doig sale mean that could be it in terms of outgoing and negate a necessity for further sales?

Also, although financially our most valuable asset, is Doig also the player the team can afford to lose the most out of them all? I'd say so, so fantastic business overall.
    I think the knock-on effect is - at least - that we can hold out for BIG money for Porteous and Nisbet.....

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I don’t think it makes us any more likely or unlikely to keep anyone.

We’re not out there actively trying to sell any of our players, but if teams come in for anyone else, and offer us good price we’ll still sell.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post

I’d hope we can get Martin to sign a new deal for more money with a bigger release clause (if he insists on one).

@hibs.net private member
    Nisbet is the one I'm still braced to lose as given the stuff last January, I'm presuming he still wants away. If that's the case and a suitable bid comes in it'll be tough (although not impossible) for the club to say no.

If we want to, I'd really hope we can keep Porto and Boyle.

Think Hibs have made it clear they're not for sale. Speculation for all 3 has stopped.

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    It’s a massive long shot however I’d like to think that if we can get into the group stage in Europe all of the players would want to stay for a crack at that.

After that I’d be happy for them all to go. They’ll have had given their dues and made a lot of money for the club.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think the knock on effect will be in the quality of player we bring in, in a very positive sense.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Club have been pretty clear in what they are trying to do (become attractive to up & coming players to develop, sell on & then reinvest the cash)..Ron also said one possible two could go. Hopefully its just one but for once in as long as I can remember I have confidence what ever is done is done for the good of the footballing side of the club. I dont want to see any go but I feel comfortable that they will only go for a price thats good for us & that who ever they will bring in will be to raise the standard of the team and not just keep it where it is.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Nisbet is the one I'm still braced to lose as given the stuff last January, I'm presuming he still wants away. If that's the case and a suitable bid comes in it'll be tough (although not impossible) for the club to say no.

To be fair on Nisbet he was quite quick and keen to say he was perfectly happy staying at Hibs as well. It was his agent who apparently strongly encouraged the request. Since then he has also been capped by Scotland and got to play in the Euros every game - I think that will have settled him down a lot as maybe in January he was also thinking a move would propel him into Steve Clarke’s thoughts.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Think Hibs have made it clear they're not for sale. Speculation for all 3 has stopped.
    Unfortunately not a lot we can do if someone matches Boyle’s release clause. Can’t believe there are no clubs down south who won’t take a punt on him at that price.

I think getting Boyle on a new contract. He will be really hard to replace. Get McCart in. Get a replacement LB. Get Mueller in now.

Nisbet is a difficult one. I think he will go. Not sure who we would replace him with. Shankland maybe. But he is a different kind of player.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Unfortunately not a lot we can do if someone matches Boyle’s release clause. Can’t believe there are no clubs down south who won’t take a punt on him at that price.
    Yeah, if Boyle actually has a clause and it is still active, then he could go. Other 2 will be staying.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 Mickey Weir View Post
    I think getting Boyle on a new contract. He will be really hard to replace. Get McCart in. Get a replacement LB. Get Mueller in now.

Nisbet is a difficult one. I think he will go. Not sure who we would replace him with. Shankland maybe. But he is a different kind of player.
    I think they are different but not massively so. Shankland does also do a bit of work for the team, just if he came to Hibs he would be expected to do more than he does for United. Shankland would probably be the best for us to move for, and would also allow him a chance at progression.

But that is true of any player moving up a step, and maybe one of the reasons some players e.g. Liam Craig, aren't great for us but are for teams traditionally seen to be below us, less pressure and not expected to be able to add to their game. But I digress from the topic here!

No LBs spring to mind for targetting, but I would expect Hibs to have been planning for this for a year now.

Worried someone is gonna take Boyle late in the transfer window via the release clause. He's making us tick the noo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    To be fair on Nisbet he was quite quick and keen to say he was perfectly happy staying at Hibs as well. It was his agent who apparently strongly encouraged the request. Since then he has also been capped by Scotland and got to play in the Euros every game - I think that will have settled him down a lot as maybe in January he was also thinking a move would propel him into Steve Clarke’s thoughts.
    Problem with this kind of chat is we don't actually know what Nisbet's main motivating factor is. If its simply to play at a higher level then not much we can do....can't magically improve the quality of Scottish football. If its money then the Doig cash would help to a degree, if someone comes along offering to quadruple his pay then we will struggle.
    On the flip side if he is looking for regular football and security then we can offer that, if its to get into the Scotland squad we have proved playing for us will do that, if he wants to improve then we can help there too.....if he wants medals then he should sign for St Johnstone

@hibs.net private member duffers's Avatar
    Boyle is the one we would get the least amount of money for, but the hardest one to replace. I’d actually go as far as saying he’s irreplaceable. Whap a new contract down where we aren’t likely to lose him for a pittance

Im 90% resigned to the fact Nisbet is going. I know folk are saying it was he agent that pushed for the move last Jan (which is what they are there to do), but I feel he would have still have had to green light it. It didn't happen then but I have no doubt his ambitions have only gotten bigger since then, and he was prob told to sit tight in Jan and he'd get this move in the summer.

Making half of this up as we all are. But yeah, in my mind he got to close to leaving last time not for it to happen now

Shame, but yet more bags for reinvestment. That's how clubs like hibs should be operating

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by duffers View Post
    Boyle is the one we would get the least amount of money for, but the hardest one to replace. I’d actually go as far as saying he’s irreplaceable. Whap a new contract down where we aren’t likely to lose him for a pittance
    Im guessing the only way he would have signed that previous contract is if that clause was in just in case a better offer came in.

Whilst it puts us in a great position, I'm not confident it will be the only one. Some of this may go towards the undoubted loss we will have made last year, some may go back into the other projects that were shelved ie Jumbotron etc.

We'll see but at least Hibs are now getting more value from the EPL/Championship.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by duffers View Post
    I think we’ve a security blanket in mueller coming if we lose Boyle, also Chris Cadden if he’s ever fit again.

I think getting the money quoted for doig will put us in a great position we’ll be pretty much back to pre pandemic cash levels when our competition are still to cut costs etc, saw a tweet from Stefan Bienkowski this morning saying if we received £5m that would cover 75% of the wage bill and it’s more than we’ve brought in in the last 4 windows combined, it’s huge for us and to think we have another player who could well go for the same amount or more puts us in a right good place (so long as we recruit well to replace)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    Worried someone is gonna take Boyle late in the transfer window via the release clause. He's making us tick the noo.
    I saw a few comments yesterday about the Doig stuff happening being "awful timing".

I mean - I'd argue the opposite. We have a competent deputy who all the players know well who can slot in almost seamlessly. We've then still got a month to sort out a replacement for Doig, if we even want to sign one.

The sort of situation you describe, where we lose Nisbet, Boyle or Porteous, would be potentially catastrophic if the timing of the move was too late in the window for us to get an adequate replacement lined up. It would be highly unlikely we'd be in a position to have done anything overly proactive about it at that stage, and finding anything close to an adequate replacement for Boyle for the fee his release clause would generate would be very challenging indeed.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

I still think Celtic will come in for Nisbet, probably in the last few days of the window.

If he’s going, I hope it’s sooner rather than later but gut feeling is we’ll keep him until next summer.

@hibs.net private member
    I think it all depends on what happens with our Euro campaign. If it looks promising after Thursday, it makes sense to keep our best players to give us the best chance of reaching the group stages. I’d imagine the players would want to stay to be involved and put themselves on an even bigger stage .

If we get pumped, you might find Boyle, Nisbet and Porteous having their head turned a little by late offers.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Thays not factually correct,obviously we are gonna say they are not for sale especially as the 3 have had interest from other clubs.Ideally none will leave my own thoughts are that Nisbet will move on fairly soon , I reckon we will recieve an offer we can't refuse.

With perhaps 2 or 3 exceptions every club in the world is a selling club. If the price is right for any player then they will go.

Hibs may say Boyle, Porteous and Nisbet aren't for sale and we might not be actively trying to flog them but if an offer of £3m came in tomorrow then it would be considered and, with a little bit of negotiation, more than likely accepted. I don't think Doig going in the coming days has any influence on that at all.

We are now arguably in a better position than before to replace these players albeit there will be financial issues from the last 18 months to be shored up. With the sale of any player there is a risk that they are not replaced with comparable quality, that is most obvious with someone like John McGinn who was to all intents and purposes irreplaceable because of the level of performance he had reached. I'm not sure we are in that position with any of the 3 players named, all of them are good players but I'm sceptical any are ready to walk straight into an EPL starting 11.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I really like how Jack Ross is dealing with this - if we’re to lose Doig, it’s this week. Time to replace and reinvest. We’re not going to be screwed around.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Nice to know that we won't just sell as soon as a bid comes in.

I can't help but think that if RG hadn't taken over, we'd have sold Josh for a fraction of what we're asking for. We wouldn't even have had the balls to ask for so much!

@hibs.net private member
    I’d like us to use the money to ensure Boyle and Nisbet don’t leave.

Then I’d get Mueller in now and be bold and go for Shankland.

Attacking combo of Mueller - Shankland - Nisbet - Boyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I’d like us to use the money to ensure Boyle and Nisbet don’t leave.

Then I’d get Mueller in now and be bold and go for Shankland.

Attacking combo of Mueller - Shankland - Nisbet - Boyle
    I don’t think it’s as simple as that. I don’t know the ins and outs of it, but, with their draft system involved, it’s not a case of chucking a few quid on the table and saying ‘we’ll have him now, thanks very much.’