hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I noticed at the first porto and Hanlon were dragged to mark men on the right hand side of the box. With nisbet and gogic left in the middle. Surely make sense to pass men on and have one centre half at least in the middle of the box. Captain should notice that for me. He's plenty experience.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I noticed at the first porto and Hanlon were dragged to mark men on the right hand side of the box. With nisbet and gogic left in the middle. Surely make sense to pass men on and have one centre half at least in the middle of the box. Captain should notice that for me. He's plenty experience.
    Part of a specific Motherwell tactic, possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    As Marvin Bartley said at half time though as soon as the ball goes wide Porto and Hanlon (as CH's) have to get back in the middle of the box. He was adamant they were at fault.
    I'd tend to agree with him, hopefully they learn from it but Hanlon as captain has to do better at organising imo, he ends up with a birds eye view of both goals and marking no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    I'd tend to agree with him, hopefully they learn from it but Hanlon as captain has to do better at organising imo, he ends up with a birds eye view of both goals and marking no one.
    Hes clearly marking a man at the first goal

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    He's dragged well out of position and left in no mans land, there's not a player on either side within yards of him when their player heads that ball into the net.

People seem to want to criticize Hanlon even when he's not at fault for goals we've conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    People seem to want to criticize Hanlon even when he's not at fault for goals we've conceded.
    If Marvin can bring himself to do it I'm sure there's something in it .

We won the game so it doesn't really matter but we have to get defending at set pieces sorted out and sharpish if yesterday was anything to go by.

As captain and CH I'd say he was open to criticism on this one

If Marvin can bring himself to do it I'm sure there's something in it .

We won the game so it doesn't really matter but we have to get defending at set pieces sorted out and sharpish if yesterday was anything to go by.

As captain and CH I'd say he was open to criticism on this one
    We never conceded a single headed goal in the league last season. That suggests to me we are generally pretty good at defending corners and set pieces.

As captain and CH Hanlon deserves massive credit for achieving that.

We never conceded a single headed goal in the league last season. That suggests to me we are generally pretty good at defending corners and set pieces.

As captain and CH Hanlon deserves massive credit for achieving that.
    No arguments there here's hoping we don't concede another

No arguments there here's hoping we don't concede another
    I'm sure we will. It's a part of the game, every team in the world concedes headers. Though over the last 12 months we concede less than almost every other team.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    If you want to point a finger for both 'Well goals look no further than Gogic.

Great cross for the first but the lad had a free header. Got to be better organised than that, Gogic trying (not very well) to cope with a lad who is 10 foot tall and our two centre baks nowhere to be seen.

We can still get a result out of this.
    And gave both the free kicks away that led to goals.
    None of them were what you would call good fouls as there was no imminent danger.
    There are a crazy amount of goals come from set pieces these days. Can’t afford to give away needless free kicks.

Like him for certain games but we improved dramatically when he went off.

Magennis and JDH both much better on the ball yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's dragged well out of position and left in no mans land, there's not a player on either side within yards of him when their player heads that ball into the net.
    He was man marking a player from the first phase. You really need to start watching games rather than looking for reasons to slag a player. Marvin was wrong in his analysis.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    He was man marking a player from the first phase. You really need to start watching games rather than looking for reasons to slag a player. Marvin was wrong in his analysis.
    I admire your belief in your own expertise, but have a word lol.

And the men they are picking up would be specific tactics sorted pre game. Players don’t just go around changing men within games when it’s already sorted. What we needed is guys, who aren’t small btw, doing their job and not losing their men.

I admire your belief in your own expertise, but have a word lol.
    What they've said is exactly correct.

It's all about opinions no one gets it exactly correct. I'm not conceited enough to think I'm ever exactly correct but I do have an opinion and think I'm correct on this one.

It's all about opinions no one gets it exactly correct. I'm not conceited enough to think I'm ever exactly correct but I do have an opinion and think I'm correct on this one.

Apart from me.

I’m not conceited I’m just right. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    My son's primary school team mark better at corners than Hibs.
    Ross Out!

FilipinoHibs' son's primary school's coach in!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Gogic had a shocker yesterday but we are better team defensively with him in the team than not. He’s earned a bit of slack IMO. Certainly doesn’t need replaced. Same for the two centre backs. More worried about McGinn at right back who was superb last season but has had a poor start so far. Having said that he’s also plenty in the bank.
    Last edited by greenlex; 02-08-2021 at 10:17 AM.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Gogic had a shocker yesterday but we are better team defensively with him in the team than not. He’s earned a bit of slack IMO. Certainly doesn’t need replaced. Same for the two centre backs. More worried about McGinn at right back who was superb last season but has had a poor start so far. Having said that he’s also plenty in the bank.
    I'm not sure that's true.

Newell makes more tackles and interceptions, and a midfield three of say Magennis JDH Newell, for example, will keep the ball much better meaning the other team will have less possession and create less chances.

After that performance yesterday Gogic should be benched for a couple of weeks imo. Unless Ross wants him to counter any specific threat Rijeka might have in attacking midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Gogic and McGinn were well below the standards they've both set, it happens. Gogic needs to cut out the rash petty fouls and subsequently the bookings he picks up and unnecessary free kicks that give the opposition chances on the cheap.
    McGinn was steady last year, a good honest pro but another who can be rash and untidy at times.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    I also think we miss Doidge in these situations. He's great at helping the defence out at set-pieces.
    This

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Easier to say when standing watching on a screen and not in the middle of a game, trying to move 4 players around when not knowing how quickly the ball will be recycled. What if those two make a beeline for the middle of the goals and the wide man slips the boy in that Hanlon was marking? This place would go into meltdown!
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    No offence guys but I'm going to trust Bartley on this one.

@hibs.net private member
    If Doige is not in the starting line-up with his ability to defend set pieces then Daz has to get a start IMO

I watched the full game again on Hibstv, I suggest you do the same. His initial header from the first phase is very poor giving it straight back to Motherwell he's then caught like a rabbit in the headlights looking on as they score.

I watched the full game again on Hibstv, I suggest you do the same. His initial header from the first phase is very poor giving it straight back to Motherwell he's then caught like a rabbit in the headlights looking on as they score.
    You are wrong. But I realise it’s a waste of time talking about this with you. Enjoy your day.

You are wrong. But I realise it’s a waste of time talking about this with you. Enjoy your day.
    You too buddy we're all entitled to an opinion, including Tam McManus who blamed him too . At the end of the day it's all good and we won, I hope he gets back to his exceptional best for the next game

You too buddy we're all entitled to an opinion, including Tam McManus who blamed him too . At the end of the day it's all good and we won, I hope he gets back to his exceptional best for the next game
    Thanks. My dug knows more about football than Tam so that’s confirmed it for me. 😂👍