hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lack of buzz around first day of the league season?

Maybe it's the impact of Covid/lack of crowds for so long and the fact the Euros have not long finished, but I must admit I'm not feeling much of a buzz around the new Scottish football season. Anyone else feel similar or is everyone raring to go?

I think as I've got older I've lost that sense of fevered anticipation that used to herald the start of the season, but I'll maybe get more into it if Hibs string together some good early season form. As things stand I'm enjoying the Olympics and not really too bothered for the football.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Not too interested in the opener but game tonight should be a good watch. Really looking forward to tomorrow and some European football during the week. Enjoyed the summer break but with crowds now coming back and the fact we have a pretty good team this is probably a season i’ve been looking forward to more than most.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Yes I’m feeling the same, for the second year in a row I’m looking at the possibility of having bought three season tickets and not being guaranteed to see every game live in the stadium.

Going to the game and sitting in the same seat beside my mates and other fans I’ve got to know around me over the last 25 years is what I enjoy most about the games now.

If we get back to every game in our own seats soon I’ll get over it but sitting in random seats every second game doesn’t appeal and can see me losing interest and drifting away from the game which would be a real shame.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I’m feeling the same, for the second year in a row I’m looking at the possibility of having bought three season tickets and not being guaranteed to see every game live in the stadium.

Going to the game and sitting in the same seat beside my mates and other fans I’ve got to know around me over the last 25 years is what I enjoy most about the games now.

If we get back to every game in our own seats soon I’ll get over it but sitting in random seats every second game doesn’t appeal and can see me losing interest and drifting away from the game which would be a real shame.
    In a way, i`m quite looking forward to the randomness of not knowing where I will be sitting!

I have sat in all parts of the ground over the decades but have spent in last 20 years or so in the Famous Five with the kids and now have moved to the FFU. I`ll just miss my comfy seat with the arm rests lol

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Can only speak for myself. I’m buzzing about the new season and have been counting the days for weeks

With the Euros then the European games so close to the end of last season, it feels like there's never been a break from football.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I'm quite looking forward to it and a bit disappointed I can't get a ticket for tomorrow.
    Hermit Crab has a spare.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    I am absolutely buzzing for tomorrow. An away trip with the Hibs. Even tempted to break my Sunday rule and have a few bevvies (can't do Monday if I'm on the sauce the day before).

Couldn't give a toss about the huns, Yams or the lesser greens.

It's all about the Hibs... Let's start again, 3 points out the traps.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Maybe it's the impact of Covid/lack of crowds for so long and the fact the Euros have not long finished, but I must admit I'm not feeling much of a buzz around the new Scottish football season. Anyone else feel similar or is everyone raring to go?

I think as I've got older I've lost that sense of fevered anticipation that used to herald the start of the season, but I'll maybe get more into it if Hibs string together some good early season form. As things stand I'm enjoying the Olympics and not really too bothered for the football.
    It's quite worrying actually.
    Maybe just old age but I have no inclination to try and get tickets at the moment. I've contributed my season ticket money as usual but I haven't got the usual start of season buzz either.
    Until we get back to what I would call normal I can't visualise being back at Easter Road for a while yet.

I just can't get interested tbh.

Didn't bother with the Arsenal friendly or the European tie, didn't bother trying for a ticket for tonorrow and haven't got round to entering the ballot for Thursday yet. I've got plans for tomorrow so unlikely to watch our game either (I assume it's on TV and not just moved because we played on Thursday).

Until I can get back to football properly I really can't be arsed with it. Football has always been more about the social aspect of the day for me, be that a blether with my parents or beers with mates. The football is a side show. Probably not a popular opinion but it's where I am.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz1875 View Post
    With the Euros then the European games so close to the end of last season, it feels like there's never been a break from football.
    Yeah this is where my head is at, it feels like last season just finished and on q personal level it's been a busy couple of months so I never got to the point where I was missing the Scottish league.

Game today held no interest to me but I can't wait for tomorrow. Unfortunately I'll be driving up from Yorkshire so can't make the game but later kick off means I've something to listen to for my drive.

Buzzing. Felt so good being there last week and that feeling has only grown. Enjoyed the league starting today, going to watch the Celtic game tonight and will wake up excited tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Can’t wait for tomorrow. Meeting friends at Deer Park and heading through together. I loved being back at the Santa Coloma game and can’t wait to be in amongst it all again tomorrow.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Going but still trying to work up some enthusiasm for JR's Hibs. Last time I was "buzzing" for the start of the season was 2018-19. Dont think I've recovered from the start to 2019-20.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Planning my whole day around watching the match on the box tomorrow. Personally I cant wait. Bottle of Borolo in to celebrate our opener.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Think it’s gone
    Something will pop up tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think it’s gone
    Something will pop up tomorrow

Cheers Billy, I think I'll post a request on the PM board.

@hibs.net private member

I think it was the dire cup final against St Johnstone and acceptance of the fact that this current group of Hibs players do not have the bottle for truly big occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Didn't bother with the Arsenal friendly or the European tie, didn't bother trying for a ticket for tonorrow and haven't got round to entering the ballot for Thursday yet. I've got plans for tomorrow so unlikely to watch our game either (I assume it's on TV and not just moved because we played on Thursday).

Until I can get back to football properly I really can't be arsed with it. Football has always been more about the social aspect of the day for me, be that a blether with my parents or beers with mates. The football is a side show. Probably not a popular opinion but it's where I am.
    Same boat here.

Looking forward to a day out with mates I've not seen for ages as much as the game to be honest. It's a bunch of guys that only get together for Hibs games. Be good to get back .

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar

I’m out on the absolute lash in Leith at a house party completely inappropriate for my age that the polis have already visited the all clear for. Couldn’t be better set up for the game tomorrow
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!
    Was listening to Sportsound earlier and it sounded like a great opening day. Particularly Raith v Hamilton and Dundee v St Mirren.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    I think it was the dire cup final against St Johnstone and acceptance of the fact that this current group of Hibs players do not have the bottle for truly big occasions.
    Precisely this for me too. I have no confidence in this team to achieve anything

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Precisely this for me too. I have no confidence in this team to achieve anything
    What does “achieve” mean to you?

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Can associate with a lot of that. There was a part of me watching the opener today with a depressing realism that Rangers will walk the league and there’ll be no contest whatsoever. Realistically it wasn’t as if I thought we’d challenge but every so often it hits home that we’re taking part in a league we will never stand a chance of winning.

I had no interest in the Arsenal game and then contracting COVID ruled me out of the Saint Coloma match. I’m in for the Rijeka ballot though so will see if that whets my appetite at all!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Really? I honestly don’t think I’ve been as optimistic about the direction Hibs are going than i am right now.

We’re a good team, which has strengthened on last season and not lost our best players. The team did really well last season, they should have folk right behind them, imho.

I don't get the negativity around this Hibs team. We should enjoy them while we can. There's a very weird sense of entitlement creeping into our support.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    What does “achieve” mean to you?
    Think to most it means win silverware.

Few things to consider..

Supporters habits have changed last few months - but it’s amazing how human nature can change and fans will once again be looking forward to going to ER / away games. Getting back to ER was an amazing feeling and for those who haven’t been back yet - you will love it when you get a chance.

The league will be 1 horse race - usually it’s a 2 horse race but actually will make it more exciting seeing if Hibs / Hearts / Aberdeen / Celtic will get 2nd-5th.

The huns being on TV against Livi at home really isn’t the most exciting 1st game to start the league - least there will some drama in the 8pm game last night.

Hibs are putting pieces in place to grow as a club - they will face challenges along the way. I’m looking forward to see how we do this season and how Jack Ross does in a tougher league than last year. He needs to get the team to be consistent but also pick up points against the rivals mentioned above.

Finally maybe it’s just me but really didn’t see much promotion of the new league - Euro 2020 / Wimbledon/ Olympics have been all getting so much coverage. But Scottish football needs to work harder to promote more.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Think to most it means win silverware.
    Does it? Despite it being something we don’t do very often?

We have been getting closer and closer to it recently though so it seems strange to me for people to say they’ve no confidence in us achieving it.