hibs.net Messageboard

Team v Motherwell

First game of the season on Sunday and we will have a couple of players back from the previous games.

JDH, Doug and Murphy are back from injury and both got valuable minutes in the second leg.

Allan was missing due to a slight injury but is expected to be back where as newell returns from his suspension.

Young Campbell came into the team and impressed.

I think we’ll see;

…………..…….Macey…………..

McGinn….Porteous….Hanlon….Doig….

….Magennis..Gogic…Newell…

Boyle……………………………..Mackay….

………..………..Nisbet……….

Only issue with me is Gogic and Newell both like to sit right in front of the back four and may get in each other’s way. On the upper hand I think Newell is better a little bit forward as he is athletic and has good vision.

Allan is unlucky that Magennis has came in and done really well.

May be a bit ‘defensive’ though as I think someone behind the striker might be needed to create. For me I think Magennis and Gogic should start with Allan behind the striker and the pressure is on Newell to get back in the team.

From history though I think if Newell is fit he starts.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    JDH looked good on Thursday. Very comfortable on the ball. Midfield is going to be very competitive and I think Magennis has grabbed his opportunity this season so far. Gogic would be the doubt for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JDH looked good on Thursday. Very comfortable on the ball. Midfield is going to be very competitive and I think Magennis has grabbed his opportunity this season so far. Gogic would be the doubt for me.

Agree regarding JDH, very good on the ball and plays quick and accurate passes forward.

Gogic for me is so important for us as a team defensively. He seems to negate so many threatening positions for the opposition. Whether it’s tracking runners, headers, tackles, interceptions etc.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    I think that’s pretty close to what the line up will be. The only change I could see is Murphy in for Mackay.

Hopefully Magennis is pushed a lot further on in the three but we have plenty of flexibility to change shape or personnel if Nisbet isn’t getting the support from central midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    I think that’s pretty close to what the line up will be. The only change I could see is Murphy in for Mackay.

Hopefully Magennis is pushed a lot further on in the three but we have plenty of flexibility to change shape or personnel if Nisbet isn’t getting the support from central midfield.
    Mackay looked nervous and was very poor in the home European game. I would think Murphy will start. He could play 4-4-2 with Boyle and Murphy wide if he wants to play Doidge. That would probably mean Gogic or Newall not starting.

@hibs.net private member
    I really struggle to predict line ups in early season games - it's difficult for us to know who's been showing the best form and at what stages of fitness they are at. Some will be ahead ofothers in the quest for match fitness.

I do feel quite excited to see what transpires though as we have a plethora of players who will surely be busting a gut to impress - some new signings and some with a good pre-season in their legs which they were denied last year. Hopefully the effect will be like having new players in the squad and we will see much more from some than we did last year. I'm thinking of Magennis and Murphy in particular who both have the potential to be big players for us but were on the fringes last term.

Edit - and of course, as per Johnny Leith below, we have Scott Allen who we are all rooting for to complete his recovery and return to top form
    Last edited by basehibby; 31-07-2021 at 11:54 PM.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    If Allan is fit he should play

It will be 4231.

I think there are 9 nailed on starters.

Macey, McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon, Doig, Gogic, Newell, Boyle, Nisbet.

Allan or Magennis for one place.

Murphy or McKay for the other.

Personally wouldn’t play Newell but he’ll be in the team.

Keeper and back 4 pick themselves. Newell first name in the middle of the park, Nisbet up top and Boyle on the right. Not sure why Allan missed Thursday so presume injured? Murphy will probably start on the left with Mackay an option off the bench. So Magennis and JDH beside Newell.

Macey
    McGinn Porteous Hanlon Doig
    Magennis JDH Newell
    Boyle Nisbet Murphy

Macey

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon
    Doig

Gogic
    JDH

Boyle
    Allan
    Murphy

Nisbet

Macey

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Gogic

Boyle
    Murphy
    Newell
    Doig

Nisbet
    Doidge

Macey
    McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon, Doig
    Magennis, Gogic
    Boyle, Allan, Murphy
    Nisbet

Dabrowski, McGregor, Stevenson, Doyle-Hayes, Newell, Campbell, Wright/Bradley, Mackay, Doidge.

That bench would finish in midtable once we've got the missing CH, Mueller arrives and both Cadden and Hallberg are fit, leaving two players to join Mackie and Gullan on the fringes.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Macey
    Mcginn
    Porteous
    Hanlon
    Doig
    Gogic
    Newell
    Allan
    Boyle
    Doidge
    Nisbet

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Macey
    McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon, Doig
    Magennis, Gogic
    Boyle, Allan, Murphy
    Nisbet

Dabrowski, McGregor, Stevenson, Doyle-Hayes, Newell, Campbell, Wright/Bradley, Mackay, Doidge.

That bench would finish in midtable once we've got the missing CH, Mueller arrives and both Cadden and Hallberg are fit, leaving two players to join Mackie and Gullan on the fringes.
    Wouldn’t mind seeing that team, but Newell will play.

We’re definitely going to start the season with that kind of shape but will be interesting to see how it goes. On paper it looks absolutely made for the players we have there but when we’ve went similar before, we’ve always ended up reverting back to two up top relatively quickly.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Has Scott Allan been declared fit?

Macey
    McGinn Porto Hanlon Doig
    Gogic
    Magennis Newell
    Allan
    Boyle Nisbet

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Macey
    McGinn Porto Hanlon Doig
    Gogic
    Magennis Newell
    Allan
    Boyle Nisbet
    I’d swap JDH for Allan and then later bring Scott off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Has Scott Allan been declared fit?
    Jack Ross he was missing Thursday as he had a 'slight knock' and wasn't being risked. Sounded to me like he'd be back in the squad tomorrow.

Is it possible with the heat in Andorra Allan wasn't risked due to his condition as the game was already won?

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Since90+2;6636692]Is it possible with the heat in Andorra Allan wasn't risked due to his condition as the game was already won?[/QUOT

Jeezo.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Is it possible with the heat in Andorra Allan wasn't risked due to his condition as the game was already won?
    No. He’s either fit to be a footballer or he’s not. Probably not much hotter than conditions he’s been training/playing in over the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    No. He’s either fit to be a footballer or he’s not. Probably not much hotter than conditions he’s been training/playing in over the last few weeks.
    I don't think it's that absolute.

His condition is being managed, but there will be factors which make that harder to do and I'd think higher temperatures would be one of them.

It's no different to a player with a slight knock not being risked in a game.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    He had a knock

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    He had a knock
    Any idea if fit for today ?