hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Macey

Macey is a massive plus to take away from tonight's game and for the first time I was really convinced we have found a No1. Nothing to do with his previous performances but I was delighted with his performance tonight. Early days but we might have won a watch here

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Shame Macey will be back on the bench for the League game against Motherwell. Really deserves to keep his place.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think David Turnbull said after it he was surprised at how much of the goal Macey showed him.
    David Turnbull, that famous goalie coach I’d rather rely on Jamie Carragher for my keeper insights (not really)

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Macey was great tonight and deserves praise. Hopefully he takes this form in to the Rijeka tie and the first few league games.
    We may need a Bogsanesque performance similar to the away leg at Asteris. Macey looks like this may be in his locker.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsequential View Post
    Shame Macey will be back on the bench for the League game against Motherwell. Really deserves to keep his place.
    Am I missing something here or is this a joke about him only getting cup games?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Feel we've won a watch with this guy
    A goalkeeper thrives on a confident defence and that’s what we need in front of him

I'll tell you how good he is after 6/7 games into the season. Far too early to label him better than Marciano or even if you think he's terrible. Good performance today though.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I'll tell you how good he is after 6/7 games into the season. Far too early to label him better than Marciano or even if you think he's terrible. Good performance today though.
    He’s already played 6 or 7 games for us

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    His save from the penalty in the cup final and his performance tonight give me a lot of confidence that he’ll go and and be a cracking keeper for us. I was a little worried after the Motherwell game as he looked a bit dodgy, but every player has a bad day. We have to remember he will only get better playing games and getting used to playing with our defence. He could turn out to be a fantastic keeper for us as he has all the attributes of the modern day keeper.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    He’s already played 6 or 7 games for us
    I'm aware. But he hasn't been our number 1 in the league so far. He's had a couple of cup games and a couple of appearances filling in for Rocky. My point is more that once the sample size is bigger we can start making comparisons to Rocky.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I'm aware. But he hasn't been our number 1 in the league so far. He's had a couple of cup games and a couple of appearances filling in for Rocky. My point is more that once the sample size is bigger we can start making comparisons to Rocky.
    Just a thought- we don’t need to compare him to Rocky at all? That’s what was happening last year when folk got annoyed he got picked and they started making stuff up about positioning to justify getting Rocky back in the team.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Blaming the Motherwell goals on Macey is some stretch.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Just a thought- we don’t need to compare him to Rocky at all? That’s what was happening last year when folk got annoyed he got picked and they started making stuff up about positioning to justify getting Rocky back in the team.
    Including Ross who acknowledged Rocky was his first choice. Nothing was made up about that.

It’s lovely Macey is getting backed. I sense quite a bit of it is over played as a result of not liking Marciano for some reason.

Rocky was a good keeper. Hopefully Macey will be too but we are early for any declarations on that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Including Ross who acknowledged Rocky was his first choice. Nothing was made up about that.

It’s lovely Macey is getting backed. I sense quite a bit of it is over played as a result of not liking Marciano for some reason.

Rocky was a good keeper. Hopefully Macey will be too but we are early for any declarations on that.
    It is lovely isn’t it? Quite a novel approach.

I like Macey and he's generally done well when called upon. I can see why people may have had 1 or 2 reservations about him though. If nothing else he just hasn't played enough games to judge him in the same way you can judge a keeper who has played 30+ games a season for 3 or 4 years. I can remember Yves Ma Kalambay being hailed as the answer to all our goalkeeping problems after 1 game at Tynecastle. The very next game.......

Is this not just one of those discussions in which people with opposing views can actually both have valid opinions? It seems a willingness to agree to disagree is a lost art and having the last word is infinitely more important.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Is this not just one of those discussions in which people with opposing views can actually both have valid opinions? It seems a willingness to agree to disagree is a lost art and having the last word is infinitely more important.[/QUOTE]

No it's not!

Left by mutual consent!

Speaking only for myself I'm over the moon we have Macey. Commented loads on this subject and kind of gave up. I never ever said I disliked Rocky but I never had full confidence in him either. Lets hope Macey can do enough to get us all proud to have him as number 1.

Only 26 years old too. Could easily have another 10/12 years ahead. Only going to improve. He's played enough games now for an opinion to be formed and he seems to be getting better with each game. Hopefully he's found a home at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Only 26 years old too. Could easily have another 10/12 years ahead. Only going to improve. He's played enough games now for an opinion to be formed and he seems to be getting better with each game. Hopefully he's found a home at Hibs.
    The more games he’s playing, the more he’s convincing those of us that had doubts.

I think your miles wrong and it’s actually quite the opposite. I haven’t seen many not like Marciano in general so to say they are over playing his performance as they don’t like Marciano is rubbish. I have though seen people take the opposite and be very critical or reluctant to praise Macey because they were so invested in Marciano.

I know it’s natural to compare players it happens all the time but let’s not forget Macey is still a young guy with plenty development ahead of him. We need to support that and understand he won’t always get it right and should be criticised like any other player at times. I’ve said it before with our history of keepers I have seen more than enough to believe he will be a very good keeper for us.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    He looks quite big anyone know how tall he is
    45 AND RISING

If it is being over played, I'd say it is because some are over playing how good Rocky was and are being too judgemental of Macey. Okay to say things like they think his positioning was slightly out at a goal but several were saying he isn't good enough and isn't a no. 1 keeper which imo was ott. Too many make snap decisions on players and say they aren't good enough after 1 or 2 games, the "Called it Club" / "Told You So Brigade" that like to be 1st to decide a player is crap and they make sure they let us know later on down the line. They could easily say someone looked a bit shaky but it's early days or something along those lines and at least give players a chance before passing judgement. But of course that doesn't give you the opportunity to appear clever.

The same happened with Bogdan who was also a bit rusty at 1st due to lack of games. Once he got a run of games he turned out to be good and for me he slightly edged it over Rocky because he commanded his box better and his kick outs didn't go out for a throw in half the time (which Rocky seemed to be doing a lot at the time). Rocky was a little better at shot stopping. I liked Rocky so wasn't unhappy that he started ahead of Bogdan.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_nation View Post
    5'19".

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_nation View Post
    6ft 7ins... an inch taller than Dabrowski

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    I think your miles wrong and it’s actually quite the opposite. I haven’t seen many not like Marciano in general so to say they are over playing his performance as they don’t like Marciano is rubbish. I have though seen people take the opposite and be very critical or reluctant to praise Macey because they were so invested in Marciano.

I know it’s natural to compare players it happens all the time but let’s not forget Macey is still a young guy with plenty development ahead of him. We need to support that and understand he won’t always get it right and should be criticised like any other player at times. I’ve said it before with our history of keepers I have seen more than enough to believe he will be a very good keeper for us.
    Is Macey really that young? He's only a year younger than Marciano was when we signed him and he's played 70 1st team games at a decent level.

I'm all for supporting him and helping him develop further but he's not some untried rookie.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Yes, if you ignore the mistakes he made, he never made any mistakes.

2 goals against Motherwell, his positioning for the goal against Celtic and he let in a bad one against Stoke in a pre-season friendly too. That’s a number of debatable mistakes in not a lot of games.

Posts like yours really annoy me though to be honest. He had a terrific game tonight and was rightly getting praise, your need to post a sort of ‘told you so’ post was only ever going to provoke response like mine pointing out mistakes that those of us who had doubts felt were mistakes.

He was superb tonight so I sincerely hope he goes on to be an upgrade on Marciano. Way too early to be stating that’s the case already though.

If the goals against Motherwell & Celtc were a result of goalkeeping errors then every keeper, including Rocky, makes about 40 errors a season! We must remember that keeper errors often result in the ultimate punishment, conceding a goal, whereas other defensive mistakes are forgotten if a goal doesn't result. Ask Pickford, sets a record of nearly 500 minutes without conceding in the Euros, then is beaten by a superb free kick. Next thing it's analysed to death & about 50% of the experts blame him for the goal!

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Macey, Rocky, Bogdan - all perfectly good keepers for us. Dabrowski is a decent enough back up too.

Think of some of the dross we had before and look around the league now. We'll be fine in this area.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    If the goals against Motherwell & Celtc were a result of goalkeeping errors then every keeper, including Rocky, makes about 40 errors a season! We must remember that keeper errors often result in the ultimate punishment, conceding a goal, whereas other defensive mistakes are forgotten if a goal doesn't result. Ask Pickford, sets a record of nearly 500 minutes without conceding in the Euros, then is beaten by a superb free kick. Next thing it's analysed to death & about 50% of the experts blame him for the goal!
    That’s just the nature of the beast with goalkeeping though?

With regards to the Motherwell goals. I’m happy to agree to disagree.

I remember after it somebody in his defence pointed out that an expert agreed there was nothing he could have done about them. Think it was then Pretty Boy who posted a link to a podcast with experienced goalies or coaches who were equally as adamant he should have done better.

Some think they were his fault, some don’t. It even divided professionals opinions. I fell on the side of thinking he should have done better, you don’t, that’s fine.

Playing like he did last night people will soon stop caring about those goals, if they’ve not done so already.

From what i’ve seen Macey is more vocal than Rocky. Quite a bit more. In Rocky we clearly had a good keeper, but if he were brilliant (like most Hibs better players) he’d have been whisked away to the Premiership. It was great to have him and his odd poor game didn’t become a run of bad form, but i always felt he was too quiet and that on ocasion the defence was a little unsure as a result. Maybe one of the things Macey will do better. Either way, i think we have another good keeper.

His save last night when the defence were well beaten shows he could get us a good few points just from his performances.