hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't think football would be the same without heading. I would hope its not as prevalent in players who head the lighter balls nowadays but I suppose that will come out in a few years time.

On the subject of kids heading. My son is 10 and they don't do heading when he plays. We practice his technique with a sponge ball. He loves that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the ball is much lighter know, so that should make a difference.

If you took heading out of the game, you'd have to move the game in a futsal type direction.
    More that that. It would become futsal played on a full-sized pitch.

The only way to make it work was to stop balls from going above head height. You could not have balls launched high into the penalty area where no heading was allowed.

If these sorts of rules were applied, Rugby Union, Rugby League, and American Football would all be banned outright. Boxing would certainly be gone.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I think the ball is much lighter know, so that should make a difference.

If you took heading out of the game, you'd have to move the game in a futsal type direction.
    Not in favour of banning heading but a lighter ball means it is hit harder and travels faster.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    The risk of falling off a horse or crashing a car is different to the risk involved in heading a football tho. These are accidents which occur in dangerous sports. Dementia as a result of heading a football is now a proven medical issue and should arguably lead to that part of the game being changed.
    I get how it would have been a problem with an old laced up ball that was twice the weight the second it rained. Is the evidence also there for modern football where there isn't a huge number of headers and the ball is pretty light. I have no issue with heading being banned for kids but in the adult game I can't see the need. Look at ways of the ball being made of different materials of pads on the head or something but don't take away a massive part of the game

Coaching Staff
    It would be a completely different game and perhaps if you grew up playing/watching the game without headers it would be OK, but for oldies don't think so.

Like almost everyone I’m sure, I definitely don’t want to see heading eliminated from the game and I don’t think it ever will be. But there’s a definite responsibility to make sure any proven high risk is removed/minimised going forward if we are to continue as is.

It’s okay us fans saying it’s part of the game and sport involves risk. I don’t fancy being a big centre half or striker repeatedly putting myself at high risk of developing dementia without anything being done just because the fans say sport involves putting your body on the line.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Imagine a Hearts team not allowed to head the ball 😂😂😂😂

In all honesty I can see this going forward, it would be a huge change to the way the game is played but teams and tactics would adapt to suit.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Not in favour of banning heading but a lighter ball means it is hit harder and travels faster.
    True but better coaching helps deal with speed. There is still the likliehood of being hit on the head, head clash, elbow, other trauma, direct free kicks etc. A rule, like old fashioned 5s, above head height, leads to the game having to be played by height categories rather than age. Rob Jones would be banned ...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Imagine a Hearts team not allowed to head the ball 😂😂😂😂
    They would still be allowed to blooter the ball into space.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Can see it getting banned in schools and maybe U18s football. Wouldn't like to see the game without it though.

No headers, so, more bicycle kicks!

The ball is the issue. A lot of the evidence for the link comes from the days when the ball was actuall leather and when it got wet it was like a canonball. The newer balls are lighter and dont soak up the water but they are still pumped up to a pretty hard pressure so maybe a smaller lower pressure ball?

Just play with a lighter ball. Woolworths used to sell them.
    White with black spots on.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Just play with a lighter ball. Woolworths used to sell them.
    White with black spots on.
    Brilliant for "benders". Inadvertent mind, but anyone could hit that ball like Rivellino and pretend it was meant.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    The ball is the issue. A lot of the evidence for the link comes from the days when the ball was actuall leather and when it got wet it was like a canonball. The newer balls are lighter and dont soak up the water but they are still pumped up to a pretty hard pressure so maybe a smaller lower pressure ball?
    Pro football being played with a flat ball?!

I think the lighter ball is probably being hugely overplayed in this. Whilst it’s absolutely a fact, they’re still pumped up hard and as Lancs Hibs said, they travel at some speed compared to older balls. They’ll be doing a significant amount of damage I’d imagine.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Agree with this. There seems to be an ironically UN-healthy obsession in modern society with removing all risk from everything. Living entails risk. Death is part of life.

Easy to say if your life or that of a loved one hasn’t been ruined by early onset dementia due to repetitive injury from playing sport I suppose.

I am loathe to see heading removed from the game but you can’t simply pretend the evidence isn’t there.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Someone has already mentioned whether corners would still be a thing, but I wonder if heading was banned, whether throw-ins would be scrapped in favour of a kick-in like in futsal. Otherwise, you'd need some sort of rule that you could only throw the ball at chest height.

I actually watched a YouTube video in the early hours this morning during an insomnia bout about whether throw-ins should be scrapped and replaced with a kick-in in order to improve the amount of time the ball was in play. Interestingly it stated that Rory Delap would often have more touches of the ball with his hands than his feet.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Pro football being played with a flat ball?!

I think the lighter ball is probably being hugely overplayed in this. Whilst it’s absolutely a fact, they’re still pumped up hard and as Lancs Hibs said, they travel at some speed compared to older balls. They’ll be doing a significant amount of damage I’d imagine.
    It is about the evidence though. The players who have got dementia etc are from the days when the ball was completely different. Has there been studies on the difference in the balls in terms of their impact etc

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    No not for me, the ball is so much lighter these days anyway.
    Urban myth, the laws havent changed on the weight of the ball. Technology has advanced so that the ball no longer absorbs moisture making it heavier during a game.

And no from me, bit like watching one handed boxing.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Nothing to do with the laws of the game.

Take a bone dry ball from the 60s compared to a brand new, bone dry ball today and you think they weigh the same?? No chance.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Nothing to do with the laws of the game.

Take a bone dry ball from the 60s compared to a brand new, bone dry ball today and you think they weigh the same?? No chance.
    From a non expert point of view the modern materials for footballs must also help absorb some of that impact too.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Someone has already mentioned whether corners would still be a thing, but I wonder if heading was banned, whether throw-ins would be scrapped in favour of a kick-in like in futsal. Otherwise, you'd need some sort of rule that you could only throw the ball at chest height.

I actually watched a YouTube video in the early hours this morning during an insomnia bout about whether throw-ins should be scrapped and replaced with a kick-in in order to improve the amount of time the ball was in play. Interestingly it stated that Rory Delap would often have more touches of the ball with his hands than his feet.
    The best solution for maximising the amount of time the ball is in play is to stop the watch every time there is any break in play. I think that was discussed a few years back and they were talking about reviewing the amount of actual playing time to compensate. Games could potentially go on for hours otherwise.

And to answer the OP, no danger heading should be done away with. Its an art imo. Really good headers of the ball are few and far between these days but its still a major part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    The best solution for maximising the amount of time the ball is in play is to stop the watch every time there is any break in play. I think that was discussed a few years back and they were talking about reviewing the amount of actual playing time to compensate. Games could potentially go on for hours otherwise.

And to answer the OP, no danger heading should be done away with. Its an art imo. Really good headers of the ball are few and far between these days but its still a major part of the game.
    Think the proposal was 60 minutes of actual playing time, which was a few minutes up on the average time the ball is in play for.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.