hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm sick of Edinburgh. Every square foot is up for development and the city is a permanent building site.
    We need a break.
    I've lived here all my life but when we next move it'll be well away from Edinburgh.
    As for Hibs, they follow you everywhere. Like the Mona Lisa.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Having lived and worked most of my life in Edinburgh, I probably take the city (both good points and bad) for granted.

Even when I fell out of love with Hibs, I still kept an eye on our results and watched us on the TV, and I've had a season ticket again for a few years now.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Edinburgh. If Hibs franchised and moved away like the NFL teams have done moving cities I’d lose interest entirely.

Hibs for me, born in Clerie, I love coming back, meeting up with the mates before the game, soaking up the atmosphere, but I also
    I love Edinburgh, its the best city in the world, being ruined by the council and planners that couldnae plan a **** up in a brewery.
    THESE ***** NEED TAE BE HELD TAE ACCOUNT .

@hibs.net private member
    Born at Simpsons , brought up in the high rise flats in Leith that are no longer there.
    We moved to a flat just off Leith Walk around 1975 which had 2 toilets and 3 bedrooms luxury .
    Ventured out on my own and had flats in Edina Place , Brunswick Street and Easter Road .
    Now stay a 10 minute drive from Leith and still only drink in pubs in Leith .
    Don’t think of myself as from Edinburgh , Leither that supports Hibs .
    In my younger days we used to try and do a pub crawl up Leith Walk on one side never went further than the Halfway house and very rarely completed it coming back down the other side.
    Leith has changed so much since my youth The Shore is unrecognisable , a lot of the pubs on Leith Walk have changed although you still have the The Central , The Spey and the Alhambra.

Left by mutual consent!
    Leith means more to me than edinburgh. Independence for leith from the Edinburgh throbbers please

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Interesting thread this.

fascinating that so many native Edinburgh people now don’t seem to have much time for the place.

I think it’s one of the best places on the planet but then I don’t have to live with it’s problems on a daily basis and only ever see it in its best light when I visit for a few days.

anyway, Hibs. Just a beautiful football club from top to bottom. I just wish we won trophies a bit more regularly than we do but I suppose that adds to the romance

What a bizarre question . HIBS

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Leith means more to me than edinburgh. Independence for leith from the Edinburgh throbbers please
    Absolutely, I can’t stand Edinburgh, it’s like a Scottish Disney theme park. The council do almost everything they can to make our lives worse and the rugby crowd are the biggest bunch of ******s in the city.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Absolutely, I can’t stand Edinburgh, it’s like a Scottish Disney theme park. The council do almost everything they can to make our lives worse and the rugby crowd are the biggest bunch of ******s in the city.
    It's certainly one facet and a fairly big one.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    It's only when you live away you truly miss the place probably-home is where the heart is as they say. There comes added pride and patriotism then. It is funny searching for the Hibs result too and a great feeling of joy when they win and you are far away..

Hibs all the way for me. I used to love the city but now, phhft.
    I was brought up in Ayrshire then travelled the world settling in the Edinburgh early 90s..having moved to the Borders since I'm only in the town for work, family, fitba. Not necessarily in that order.
    I can get to Newcastle in just over two hours from my gaff yet it took me an hour and a half to get from ERI to home recently via Sherriffhall. The most car unfriendly city going and a complete pain in the erse to get around.
    Rant over

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Born in Leith, dragged up in Wallyford and the Wimpies Scheme. Made a few bad decisions in my middle to late teens and left to join the army sharpish. I've been a staunch lobbyists for both Hibs and Edinburgh wherever I've been and converted many from beyond these shores to follow the Hibs results at least. Edinburgh without Hibs just wouldn't be right and there'd be no Hibs without Edinburgh, they can't be separated, at least not in my heart.

Like many I’ve been raised in Leith, loved it. Especially when things were tough and often they could be, I would be able to escape it all through the streets and metropolis of what was home. Like many and a couple posters on here, Leith had eventually had its time with us. Rent prices being the main infantry of this millennial assault of gentrification. Before long we had to relocate ourselves to Niddrie. It wasn’t much longer after this I could feel the affinity I once had for my home city diminishing further and further. The riches and attractions of the Athens of the North felt like a world away from EH16 like it will for many others in EH4,5 and 14. ‘Disney Land’ is often thrown about these days but doesn’t half paint a commendable picture. When I moved through to Glasgow everything changed, the best decision of my life thus far and one I hold absolutely no regrets over whatsoever. One of the best cities you’ll ever be lucky enough to come across and having now lived in both, being raised in the other it’s absolutely no contest as far as I’m concerned and would never entertain some of the drivel that gets chucked at it. Also gives me the most immense pleasure I’ve found wearing a Hibs top away from a game; to the shops, out a run etc. Will either boil blood quietly or create a great crack otherwise, never any bother for it most importantly. Proud of where I come from. have always called myself a Leither and that will never change even beyond death. Just like my love for my club and my love for my home across the M8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edinburgh used to be one of the most beautiful capital cities in the world. Today its being dragged down into tourism and tartan tat city center. Its still very beautiful compared to a heck of a lot of them but its become one that I as a lifelong citizen long to move out of. I'm currently seeking a move out of Edinburgh to somewhere i feel able to drive and park without too much bother. I grew up near Warriston and used to attend the greyhound racing the speedway racing and walk to Easter Road on matchday. It was a different place back then in my opinion. Today I live on the periphery of Edinburgh and am looking to move further afield as its no longer a city I recognise. They the council have made many horrible additions to Edinburgh but I note they never transformed the disgusting maroon colour that is the Lothian buses and driver uniforms that loudly state that Lothian will always be Heart of Midlothian dominated in their eyes. Once my move is complete I will never look back but will still attend ER whenever possible.

Mon the Cabbage and Scotland.

I was born in Shropshire but grew up in Manchester. After University I moved to work in Birmingham and live in Coventry. I stayed in Leicester for a spell and hated it. My employment then took me to Heriot-Watt University and I stayed in Leith for a while before I settled in Merchiston.

I eventually got fed up working at Heriot-Watt after they moved from Central Edinburgh to the wastelands of Riccarton. I changed jobs to work at Glasgow Caledonian University. I never had any desire to move out of Edinburgh to live in Glasgow even when my wife started working at Strathclyde University. We both commuted to Glasgow for some years. Twenty years on and I am still working in Glasgow. Having said that I have not been near Glasgow since March 2019 due to working at home regulations! So I am happy to work in Glasgow as long as I don’t have to live there!

When I moved to Edinburgh there wasn’t really any choice about a team to support. I always hated Rangers and didn’t particularly like Celtic either. I took an instant dislike to Hearts for some reason. I supported Manchester City from the early 1960’s. I recalled the brilliant Bobby Johnstone who joined City from Hibs and the disastrous signing of Arthur Mann from Hearts.

Testimonial Due
    No need to make a choice really, can have them both. Born and bred in Edinburgh but I left as soon as I graduated Uni 35 years ago. Still have very strong feelings towards the city and it still feels home-like when I get back. I think my feelings towards Edinburgh would be less if it wasn’t for Hibs though. Hibs give such a strong connection to family and friends back home, even with my Jambo friends with the continued banter since we were kids. Also being a Hibs fan is great to start conversations with other football fans you meet when travelling the world. Edinburgh and Hibs, a winning combination.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Maybe Leith would have been a better choice for many to choose between,,, Hibs every time for me
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Edinburgh. The answer might have been different in my teens and twenties, but the older I get the more Hibs fall down my list of priorities. Although they will always be import.

Going against the grain, I’m an Edinburgh native. A Lochend-er, and now live on Balerno, but I still love Edinburgh. It’s not without its faults but not many cities can match the likes of Arthur Seat, Water Of Leith, Union Canal and the Pentlands on its doorstep. It’s the perfect size, and you don’t appreciate things taken for granted, like the bus system, until you visit other cities.

I'm a Fifer and a proud one, never lived in Edinburgh but I have fond memories because of Hibs. Hibs mean more to me than any city ever will.

being a distance away is hard especially when certain things pull at your heart to come home.

I'd like to come back to Scotland some time in the near future.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Edinburgh. The answer might have been different in my teens and twenties, but the older I get the more Hibs fall down my list of priorities. Although they will always be import.

Going against the grain, I’m an Edinburgh native. A Lochend-er, and now live on Balerno, but I still love Edinburgh. It’s not without its faults but not many cities can match the likes of Arthur Seat, Water Of Leith, Union Canal and the Pentlands on its doorstep. It’s the perfect size, and you don’t appreciate things taken for granted, like the bus system, until you visit other cities.
    Agreed. Edinburgh is a very good city to live in and certainly the equal of anywhere in the UK.

I'm not sure about the claims of it being the best city in the world though, that's stretching things a bit for me.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    Leith now is nothing like the Leith of old. When I sold up and left I thought I was doing the wrong thing, I actually don't miss it at all apart from the short walk to ER on matchday.
    Not for me, i still love coming home to Leith.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Not for me, i still love coming home to Leith.
    Leith is a phenomenal place to live. Over the past decade lived in various places throughout Edinburgh. Morningside, Blackford, Canonmills and Granton but I'm so glad to be back in Leith now.

Full of character, characters, good pubs, places to eat and most importantly Hibs! What's not to like.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Leith is a phenomenal place to live. Over the past decade lived in various places throughout Edinburgh. Morningside, Blackford, Canonmills and Granton but I'm so glad to be back in Leith now.

Full of character, characters, good pubs, places to eat and most importantly Hibs! What's not to like.
    Exactly.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibdan12 PSN ID: n/a Wii Code: n/a
    Proud Weagie
    Even prouder Hibee

@hibs.net private member
    Was at the funeral of my wife's aunt today. She was born and bred a Leither and very proud of the fact. At the service the minister commented on how if you ask any Leither where they are from they say Leith, not Edinburgh. He also mentioned how they pronounce Admiralty Street. Are both these things true.
    In answer to the op I am proud to be from Edinburgh and a Hibby. Both have marked out who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Was at the funeral of my wife's aunt today. She was born and bred a Leither and very proud of the fact. At the service the minister commented on how if you ask any Leither where they are from they say Leith, not Edinburgh. He also mentioned how they pronounce Admiralty Street. Are both these things true.
    In answer to the op I am proud to be from Edinburgh and a Hibby. Both have marked out who I am.

Admirality, a wee sneaky extra i is added.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Admirality, a wee sneaky extra i is added.
    You tell me now that it isn't as pronounced.

@hibs.net private member Greenfly's Avatar
    I moved from Glasgow to Leith whilst still in my teens and had 10 great years there - still love it dearly and enjoy going back for visits. Edinburgh's a very impressive city aesthetically, historically etc. But in terms of facilities, resources, social infrastructure etc. it's no better than many others. I've lived rurally for nearly 30 years now (serious rural) and would never choose to move back to bright lights, big city as I love the quiet, space, peace etc.

As for Hibs, when they get in your blood they stay there despite all the heartache, frustration and despair. You can change where you live but I can't imagine ever living without Hibs.

Edinburgh is the place Hibs are. It means very little to me, Hibs mean everything, only family comes before the Hibees and even then not all of them.