hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hibs or Edinburgh. Which means more to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qTbLoyQ23g

I came upon this video the other day and was struck by the lines 'the streets of Edinburgh mean half the world to me'. Having lived and worked away from my home city for significant chunks of my life it resonates in the sense that no matter how long I'm away from Edinburgh I'm always struck by how rooted I am to the city when I walk its streets.

Nevertheless, I don't feel that living in Edinburgh is essential to me in the way that Hibs are. Sure, the two are inextricably linked and for many will go hand in hand, but for me it's the football club which means more.

I guess there is also a significant chunk of the Hibs support who aren't from Edinburgh so it would be interesting to know what it is that enticed them to support the club if it wasn't simply down to the fact Hibs are their hometown team.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Hibs, a team that want to play a style of football i like to watch....

Edinburgh, where i work..

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I’ve no interest in leaving Edinburgh. If I did I’d fully suspect I’d miss it loads.

Whilst I’d miss Hibs loads, I don’t think I’d return for Hibs as much as I’d be returning for Edinburgh.

It’s the best city on the planet.

F*** off Wallace.

We've been through this before.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    F*** off Wallace.

We've been through this before.
    Ha ha YES! But seriously, Edinburgh for me. There will never be another Hibs.

I'm not from Edinburgh but I adore it. Scotland's capital, stunning city. I'm a proud Fifer but my dad was from North Berwick which has a sizable Hibs support hence my reason for supporting Hibs. Had no choice!

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Edinburgh means home.
    Hibs means life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Conjoined. Edinburgh is great city, simply better with Hibs in it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I love coming home to Leith, Leith means more than Edinburgh to me. I think of Hibs every day, i don't think of Edinburgh every day.

When i think of Leith, i think of Hibs and home.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Edinburgh as the it was the city that drew me, our plans were to live in Liverpool once we got married (wife born and bred in Edinburgh) but I changed my mind and the wife never argued 😁.
    Her family are all Hibees and hence she bought me a season ticket next to her sisters husband when I moved up. Never looked back and after thirty years here it’s now home.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 27-07-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Born and raised in Edinburgh before moving out to Dunfermline when starting a family but I don't have any great love for the place and definitely wouldn't consider moving back if given the choice.

Hibs is completely different however. I keep an eye on how Dunfermline FC are doing and quite like them as my local team but would never have a season ticket for them or swap allegiance from being a Hibby.

I'm not from Edinburgh and have no connection with the city except for supporting Hibs so Hibs for me.

Hibs are my team because they are my dads team and my whole family’s team, introduced to them at a young age and never in doubt who I’d follow

Edinburgh is the greatest city in the world, so many parts of the place that I love

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Also born and raised in Edinburgh, I would have put a lot of money on me never leaving the place. Then I changed my mind.

Things weren't great work wise, I was getting fed up with other aspects of my life and Blobby was Hibs manager - so I decided to try my hand elsewhere.

I already knew a lot of people across here (not least, my wife) and I was pretty certain that, if I found work, I'd have a better quality/standard of living for myself and the family we were planning to start; which is exactly how it's turned out.

I love Edinburgh and have been tremendously proud on countless ocassions to show people my city (both before and after I left), but I don't see myself moving back. In saying that, I never saw myself moving away either.

But to answer the question it's Hibs. Edinburgh is a very different place now than when I left 17 years ago - both in streetscape & "feel", but Hibs are still Hibs.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 27-07-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Grew up in the west of Edinburgh and couldn't leave quick enough when I turned 18, ****ing hated the place to be honest.

Edit: Should clarify that's west Edinburgh, Leith was always a different story.

Hibs. Only thing good about Edinburgh

Edinburgh's a city of two halfs, and I'm not talking about Hibs n Hertz. Area's are either a ****hole or gentrified hell-hole and there seems to be little in between. Like the city, its a good city like most other cities to be honest but nothing special. And its almost unrecognisable to the place I grew up in. But the schemes seem to be getting worse and any area that isn't a scheme is fast becoming unaffordable to most. Don't plan on leaving but when you're getting outbid by £5-10k for flats in West Pilton and Craigmiller I may be forced too.

So to answer the question - Hibs without a doubt.
    Last edited by Antifa Hibs; 27-07-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Edinburgh and Leith in particular is unrecognisable to the place I left 40 odd years ago. I've never felt the need to feel "home" wherever I'm living really. Plenty memories and people who have shaped me but long in the past now.
    Hibs for me, even though I'm half the world away they are every bit as important now as they were when I was a wide eyed 10 year old at my first game.
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 27-07-2021 at 12:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Edinburgh as the it was the city that drew me, our plans were to live in Liverpool once we got married (wife born and bred in Edinburgh) but I changed my mind and the wife never argued 😁.
    Her family are all Hibees and hence she bought me a season ticket next to her sisters husband when I moved up. Never looked back and after thirty years here it’s now home.
    First paragraph, swap Liverpool for London and my story is the same.
    Second paragraph, I had worked for 4/5 years in the West of Scotland (Greenock/Paisley areas) and had seen Hibs live a few times and a few times on tv. After seeing a few European ties as well, Hibs were my choice when moving to Edinburgh. It took a while for the city to grow on me and feel like home but my new relatives and my fellow Hibbys won me over (despite still taking the Single Fish at every opporchancity). I have a huge extended family in London and visit now and then (weddings etc.) but coming back up the road now is me coming home.

To answer the OPs question - I can't really separate the two and don't really want to.

Have lived abroad for various lengths of time and the only thing I missed was Hibs. Not just the football team but the feeling of community and being with close pals at games before and after.

As someone said above Edinburgh is really a variety of places and although I love Niddrie I don't miss living there.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I grew up in Portobello, but haven't stayed in Edinburgh since getting married and have absolutely zero desire to do so ever again.

The Edinburgh of my childhood used to be such a beautiful city, but I actually hate coming into Edinburgh now as it is a dirty filthy hole, difficult to drive through and with very few things (Hibs excepted) to make me want to do so. I get that I am blase about its various charms and attractions, but the hassle of getting to them outweighs their benefits for me.

The council have ruined the city through underinvestment in public services, a business rates policy that has driven all the quality shops out of the centre and a pandering to visitors at the expense of its residents.

Their traffic calming measures haven't yielded the dividend that they have in other cities across the world and to be honest given the choice I would take a day out in Glasgow before Edinburgh now
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 27-07-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Definitely Hibs.
    Moved out of the city 20 years ago. Edinburgh has been ruined by poor planning decisions made by those in charge for the last 40 years and a lack forward planning. No desire to return.
    BSEJVT sums it up perfectly.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    It’s interesting reading some of the replies from folk born and bred here who say the city is now so poor yet I think it’s a fantastic beautiful city and so do all of my friends and relatives who visit.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    It’s interesting reading some of the replies from folk born and bred here who say the city is now so poor yet I think it’s a fantastic beautiful city and so do all of my friends and relatives who visit.
    this. I’m not from Edinburgh and to me on my many visits it’s a fabulous place. I don’t find it dirty at all.

though it’s not uncommon to miss the hometown of your childhood. Things change and some things can never be the same

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You should have seen it 50 years ago

The Athens of the North

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Hibs for me, no contest.

Lived all of my 61 years in East Lothian.

Worked 45 years in Edinburgh, think its a great city but don't love it.

However I do love Hibs.

The centre is very pretty. Oscar Wilde said it's "quite beautiful, some of it".

I think its just like wallpaper for those of us born here.

Do you take your friends to see the sights in Drylaw or Craigmiller or do you stick to the City Centre?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Edinburgh is busy and I canny get parked

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I fell out of love with Edinburgh some time ago and I've been gradually falling out of love with Hibs since about November 2018 but that will change again. I think Edinburgh is beyond repair. Still love Leith though.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I was born in Edinburgh but didn't grow up there. It holds no real attachment for me. Hibs every time.