hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The drink-drive thing doesn’t give people the opportunity to demonstrate their self-righteousness quite so much.

The excuse making for Boyle back then was incredible. If it had been a player that we see as being a bit gash he’s have been hounded out the door.

And I don’t recall too much angst when one of our favourite players returned to pre season with a 14/15 year old wife.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    And I don’t recall too much angst when one of our favourite players returned to pre season with a 14/15 year old wife.
    If you're speaking about Zemmama, she was 17.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    He’s not even being linked to Hibs. Wtf are you discussing him so much??
    I know the self righteous comments that’s coming out now is embarrassing IMO and it certainly isn’t as bad as drink driving, if he had signed for hibs this summer half this comments wouldn’t be appearing, …

That statement is nonsense about being 14/15.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Did a Jambo tell you that?

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    If you're speaking about Zemmama, she was 17.

My mistake, I just remembered something about her being underage .

My mistake, I just remembered something about her being underage .
    At the time the requirement was that she had to be 18 to obtain a resident's permit (or whatever it's called). As she was only 17 Zemmama went away on loan with the plan being to return with her a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    A bit dramatic for asking a girl who’d already posted pics of herself in her underwear for more pictures.

Where do you stand on Martin Boyle playing for Hibs after being found guilty of driving when three times the alcohol limit?
    No no you’re right, the girls posted things on her social media so that means men(or woman) almost double her age have every right to ask for more pictures of her, how on earth could I not have realised that.

The Boyle point is pretty irrelevant to my post, football as an industry thrives on fans and fans young fans being into the sport to drive revenue. I assume Boyle rightfully lost his license and I hope nobody was hurt(don’t really know the case).

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibs View Post
    Yip. Thankfully we live in a civilised society under the rule of law. He's committed no criminal offence. Therefore all we are hearing are individuals airing their own personal moral viewpoints. My own opinion is that he's been foolhardy and no more than that which shouldn't cost him his ability to ply his trade as a footballer.
    Foolhardy is being generous. Great footballer but the guys an absolute moron.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The young one View Post
    No no you’re right, the girls posted things on her social media so that means men(or woman) almost double her age have every right to ask for more pictures of her, how on earth could I not have realised that.

The Boyle point is pretty irrelevant to my post, football as an industry thrives on fans and fans young fans being into the sport to drive revenue. I assume Boyle rightfully lost his license and I hope nobody was hurt(don’t really know the case).
    If we’re going to worry about the morals of footballers at least let’s keep it consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    Foolhardy is being generous. Great footballer but the guys an absolute moron.
    I genuinely think 'Foolhardy' fully describes his non criminal behaviour. Foolhardy means the following - reckless, rash, careless, thoughtless, unwise, hasty, imprudent, irresponsible, madcap, hot headed etc etc.

What words would you use instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibs View Post
    I genuinely think 'Foolhardy' fully describes his non criminal behaviour. Foolhardy means the following - reckless, rash, careless, thoughtless, unwise, hasty, imprudent, irresponsible, madcap, hot headed etc etc.

What words would you use instead?

I think he's an idiot for doing what he did - which, it seems, wasn't very much, but as a public figure he should have been more careful.

However, the good thing about this thread is that there are so many Hibs fans around who have never made a stupid mistake in their life and who wouldn't expect any attempt at understanding or tolerance even if they did.

I recall when he was our player (well, on loan from Wolves anyway), he told a boy on Twitter with an Asian sounding name to ‘get back to your own country’. The reaction on here IIRC was largely to defend him. Then there was the Sainsbury’s ‘lucozade escapade’ , less bad more stupid, and in general he has plenty previous. But Let’s be honest, how we react to a player’s indiscretions or outright badness depends on whether they’re wearing our shirt or not.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I recall when he was our player (well, on loan from Wolves anyway), he told a boy on Twitter with an Asian sounding name to ‘get back to your own country’. The reaction on here IIRC was largely to defend him. Then there was the Sainsbury’s ‘lucozade escapade’ , less bad more stupid, and in general he has plenty previous. But Let’s be honest, how we react to a player’s indiscretions or outright badness depends on whether they’re wearing our shirt or not.
    ^^^

Can't believe there are still so many out to defend him.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think he's an idiot for doing what he did - which, it seems, wasn't very much, but as a public figure he should have been more careful.

However, the good thing about this thread is that there are so many Hibs fans around who have never made a stupid mistake in their life and who wouldn't expect any attempt at understanding or tolerance even if they did.
    Everything about this thread in a nutshell. Well said sir!

I’ve made many mistakes.

I’ve also heeded warnings, and bucked up my ideas when in the last chance saloon.

There’s a time when someone becomes more trouble than they’re worth.

We ended up there with Stokes.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I’ve made many mistakes.

I’ve also heeded warnings, and bucked up my ideas when in the last chance saloon.

After he won us a Scottish Cup. Unpopular though it may be Griffiths would improve us.

Success is what matters. Cleared of any criminality, Celtic fans using this to get rid of a player they didn't want to re-sign anyway. If he's available we have to look at ways to bring him in IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I’ve made many mistakes.

I agree but Griffiths isn't our player and only recently signed a new deal with Celtic.

Even before this latest episode became public, I don't think there was any way he was coming to Hibs - at least not during this window.

That he's done too much daft stuff isn't even up for debate IMO, and TBH it's probably the last straw as far as I'm concerned, but I think people are going well OTT with this particular incident.

@hibs.net private member

But which mistake are we being tolerant of? The Rudi Skacel thing, "go back to where you came from", getting done for shop lifting, this incident? Those are only the ones I remember off the top of my head but I'm sure there are anymore. I'm for 2nd chances but Leigh must be on his 5th or 6th 'daft mistake' by now.

Leigh isn't 18 or 21. He's a 30 year old who keeps telling the public he's got himself sorted and is desperate to play football. But there always seems to be other matters that get in the way.
    Last edited by neil7908; 26-07-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    But which mistake are we tolerant of?
    Not any one in particular because he's not our player.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 26-07-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

Leigh isn't 18 or 21. He's a 30 year old who keeps telling the public he's got himself sorted and is desperate to play football. But there always seems to be other matters that get in the way.
    This is the key bit for me.

He's on his 5th or 6th chance now and he's no longer got the being a young stupid boy excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    After he won us a Scottish Cup. Unpopular though it may be Griffiths would improve us.

Success is what matters. Cleared of any criminality, Celtic fans using this to get rid of a player they didn't want to re-sign anyway. If he's available we have to look at ways to bring him in IMO.
    He’s had mental health issues over the past couple of years. Do you think that (whilst ignoring anything else) if he was bombed out by Celtic and got dogs abuse at every ground he played at (as well as probably getting called a beast in the street everywhere he goes) he’d be able to block it all out and play as well as he can?

What do you think would come first - the stage at which he was no longer good enough to play for Hibs, the end of his contract, or the next time he f****d up to the extent that irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the particular situation that a sizeable chunk of our support would want him nowhere near our club?

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

You make a very good point. I don't want him back at Hibs because I think Jack Ross is building a very professional, happy squad and I honestly think Griff would disrupt that and the next drama is just round the corner when it comes to his life choices. However some of the self rightous comments on here are unnecessary.

I agree but Griffiths isn't our player and only recently signed a new deal with Celtic.

Even before this latest episode became public, I don't think there was any way he was coming to Hibs - at least not during this window.

That he's done too much daft stuff isn't even up for debate IMO, and TBH it's probably the last straw as far as I'm concerned, but I think people are going well OTT with this particular incident.

In a nutshell,thanks.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Ok thanks for the clarification. I’m not making up anything or pursuing an agenda here… I think we should all be very cautious when commenting on legal matters.
    👍🏻 Well said

Baffles me why some would think he'd be motivated to put in performances for Hibs week in week out when he couldn't get himself fit for celtic's biggest season in decades or a chance to pretty much walk into the national side playing at a major tournament for the first time in a generation. Dodged a bullet by not signing him.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Baffles me why some would think he'd be motivated to put in performances for Hibs week in week out when he couldn't get himself fit for celtic's biggest season in decades or a chance to pretty much walk into the national side playing at a major tournament for the first time in a generation. Dodged a bullet by not signing him.
    Pretty valid point to be honest.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    When he was picked last season he had a pretty decent record. One of the best in the league.

Whilst he may have had some issues around motivation and fitness, I’d question whether the extent of them was overplayed by a certain manager who just can’t help himself from throwing folk under the bus to try to save face.

Get him on the pitch and he’ll do the business, whether that’s at Celtic, Hibs, Dundee or East Kilbride.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 26-07-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Summed up perfectly.