hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do older guys who go out with 18 year old schoolgirls - or 18 year old girls in general - get classed as creeps in your book? When does the age gap become acceptable - because age gaps between couples are pretty common? And as others have stated, what relevance does their schooling status have to do with anything?
    When I was 29 I met an 18 year old at uni. We became mates, pals, good pals then started going out the next year. We got married in 2018 and have two kids with the likelihood of at last one more in the future.

I genuinely don’t consider myself a creep, let alone a beast.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ElginHibbie View Post
    What Boyle did was much worse than anything Leigh has done, but the difference to me is that it appears that Boyle has learned from the mistake he made at 24 and grown up, at least I can't think of him getting himself in trouble since then?

Leigh on the other hand is now is his 30s and is still making stupid mistakes, I don't think he should be sacked for what he has done, but I can get Celtic fan's frustration with him and honestly I wouldn't want him back at Hibs cause I think it's only a matter of time until he would create another unneeded distraction
    I can accept your last paragraph. Absolutely, he still makes stupid mistakes and I can fully understand people not wanting him back at Hibs because of them.

Declaring him a beast because something he done doesn’t doesn’t meet your moral standards for an age gap between a man and woman (or whatever combination of people it is) is ridiculous imo. As is claiming that you can call people a beast if you want to regardless of the fact that he’s legally done nothing wrong.

That’s not aimed at you btw.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    When I was 29 I met an 18 year old at uni. We became mates, pals, good pals then started going out the next year. We got married in 2018 and have two kids with the likelihood of at last one more in the future.

Exactly. There’ll be examples of this all over the place as well.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

I was 23 when I met my 34 year old wife to be, I considered myself a toy boy 😁 I often joke with her that if she passed me in the street as an 18 years old when I was 7 would she have thought she would end up married to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I was 23 when I met my 34 year old wife to be, I considered myself a toy boy 😁 I often joke with her that if she passed me in the street as an 18 years old when I was 7 would she have thought she would end up married to me.
    Did you send her pictures of you in your bra and pants? 😉

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Did you send her pictures of you in your bra and pants?
    Made me laugh.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Did you send her pictures of you in your bra and pants? 😉
    😂😂😂😂

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I can accept your last paragraph. Absolutely, he still makes stupid mistakes and I can fully understand people not wanting him back at Hibs because of them.

Declaring him a beast because something he done doesn’t doesn’t meet your moral standards for an age gap between a man and woman (or whatever combination of people it is) is ridiculous imo. As is claiming that you can call people a beast if you want to regardless of the fact that he’s legally done nothing wrong.

That’s not aimed at you btw.
    I complete agree with you on the beast thing, it's even worse than the "nonce" stuff that was thrown at him originally.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

Our best player put hundreds of peoples lives at risk whilst drink driving. Yet here we are, singing his name and talking about how much of a legend he is.
    Also, Bartley was convicted in court of threatening a women after he’d been caught cheating on his partner. I don’t remember the morality lynch mob being out in force so vehemently back then.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Also, Bartley was convicted in court of threatening a women after he’d been caught cheating on his partner. I don’t remember the morality lynch mob being out in force so vehemently back then.
    There's a whole list of footballers who have stepped out of line over the years, including a few Hibs players.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    He apparently hadn't cheated on his partner, which was why he was angry that the woman told his ex girlfriend he had when they were trying to get back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    He apparently hadn't cheated on his partner, which was why he was angry that the woman told his ex girlfriend he had when they were trying to get back together.
    Are you sure? I saw him trying to stick his finger in a guy's starfish!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Are you sure? I saw him trying to stick his finger in a guy's starfish!
    I think you'll find he was merely pointing at a rusty sheriff's badge.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Nonce Spectrum:

Gary Glitter........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................Leigh Griffiths......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........Wayne Rooney
    Last edited by Hibrandenburg; 27-07-2021 at 05:59 PM.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He certainly seems to be spiralling out of control. Almost like he's hitting the self destruct button which must be very concerning to his Mrs and children. I think Riordan and O'Connor would take umbrage to being likened to Griffiths though. Both had their very obvious faults but don't think they were chasing 16 year olds on Instagram.
    It's pretty obvious the comparison is limited to being young promising Hibs strikers who didn't quite go on to fulfil their potential.

There doesn't need to be a sliding scale of their transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    It's pretty obvious the comparison is limited to being young promising Hibs strikers who didn't quite go on to fulfil their potential.

There doesn't need to be a sliding scale of their transgressions.
    You could maybe say that about Riordan, but O’Connor played in the premier league, scored goals in Russia, made an absolute fortune and played multiple times for Scotland during a very difficult era to get into the side.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar

There's nothing creepy about that, it sounds like the healthiest possible way for a relationship to develop.

Words like 'beast' and 'nonce' are just S*n-esque buzz words that don't tend to shed much light on a situation (though the latter of the two terms is quite funny when applied liberally and unfairly towards Tories IMO ;) )

The thing that's creepy is that leigh was soliciting pictures from someone who may have been (and in fact was) under 18, while he has a family (or 6) himself. There was some other weird stuff about taking photos of a neighbour...so i don't think it's terribly unfair to say he is a creep. Being a creep isn't illegal, but it's a really bad look for someone who is in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    There's nothing creepy about that, it sounds like the healthiest possible way for a relationship to develop.

Words like 'beast' and 'nonce' are just S*n-esque buzz words that don't tend to shed much light on a situation (though the latter of the two terms is quite funny when applied liberally and unfairly towards Tories IMO ;) )

The thing that's creepy is that leigh was soliciting pictures from someone who may have been (and in fact was) under 18, while he has a family (or 6) himself. There was some other weird stuff about taking photos of a neighbour...so i don't think it's terribly unfair to say he is a creep. Being a creep isn't illegal, but it's a really bad look for someone who is in the public eye.
    Does it not bother you if things are true or not?

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    You could maybe say that about Riordan, but O’Connor played in the premier league, scored goals in Russia, made an absolute fortune and played multiple times for Scotland during a very difficult era to get into the side.
    His career fizzled out by his mid twenties though, with the start you mention he could’ve gone on to much better things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    Does it not bother you if things are true or not?
    Is it true or not that you are actually Mr Fezziwig?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    His career fizzled out by his mid twenties though, with the start you mention he could’ve gone on to much better things.
    Better than the premier league? Better than scoring winners in a cup final in Russia? Better than playing and scoring for his country multiple times? Better than becoming a multi millionaire?

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Better than the premier league? Better than scoring winners in a cup final in Russia? Better than playing and scoring for his country multiple times? Better than becoming a multi millionaire?
    The poster you're replying to wasn't saying that Garry O'Connor had a poor career, he was saying that he didn't realise his full potential. That is most definitely the case and something that Garry has openly said himself.

Do you think that for a player with the promise that O'Connor had, playing in the Lowland League at 31 years old was realising his full potential as a footballer?

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    The poster you're replying to wasn't saying that Garry O'Connor had a poor career, he was saying that he didn't realise his full potential. That is most definitely the case and something that Garry has openly said himself.

Do you think that for a player with the promise that O'Connor had, playing in the Lowland League at 31 years old was realising his full potential as a footballer?
    I don’t think many players reach their full potential. Not many people reach their full potential.

At least in O’Connor’s case he managed to squeeze an awful lot of positives into his career before it went pear-shaped.

Even in Deek’s case - it would be hard to argue he shouldn’t have achieved more but there are an awful lot of goals scored for his boyhood club on his cv.

I’d find it hard to sit face to face with them and talk underachievement. In many ways I’ve done ok in life (so far) but if they turned the question back on me and asked “and exactly wtf have you achieved” I’d be stumbling and stammering as it doesn’t even compare.