hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Olympics

Rai Benjamin bursts the old 400m Hurdles World Record by a mile and till only gets silver. Karsten Warholm is an absolute machine

That performance was right up there with Bolt’s 9.58 and David Rudisha’s 800m in London. Incredible.

I thought both 400mh records would go this games, one down one to go. There’s every chance either McLaughlin or Mohammad will break the women’s version tomorrow too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

British boxing has been flying at these games. 6 medals guaranteed I think they just said.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Guaranteed 6 medals in Boxing now which is a record haul, Eddie Hearn will be seeing the pound signs as we speak

Brilliant run from Hodgkinson there. A well deserved silver and at only 19 she could be anything.

I think Reekie would like that one back, maybe showed her hand a wee bit early and tied up in the last 50-60m.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brilliant run from Hodgkinson there. A well deserved silver and at only 19 she could be anything.

I think Reekie would like that one back, maybe showed her hand a wee bit early and tied up in the last 50-60m.
    Reekie ran a PB, I don’t think she could have done much more. Roger’s run in for the Bronze was pretty impressive.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Reekie ran a PB, I don’t think she could have done much more. Roger’s run in for the Bronze was pretty impressive.
    It was still a fantastic run and it's impossible to say if sitting for another few metres would have made any difference.

I think Paula Radcliffe said in her analysis she might have sat a bit longer but it's easy for us, amateur and former marathon world record holder alike, to criticise in hindsight.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I see Laurel Hubbard has exited the Olympics without winning a medal, such a shame as she'd worked her bollocks off to get there.

I’m just watching the 5000m. It’s incredible what these athletes can do. I was really pleased with my park run time of 19 minutes in the 5k, I was relatively fit at the time (5 years ago sadly) ran five times a week and I pushed it really hard.

These guys? Just qualified for the final in 13:38

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I’m just watching the 5000m. It’s incredible what these athletes can do. I was really pleased with my park run time of 19 minutes in the 5k, I was relatively fit at the time (5 years ago sadly) ran five times a week and I pushed it really hard.

These guys? Just qualified for the final in 13:38
    It's mental.

I was doing KM repeats on the track tonight, albeit as part of marathon training, and was averaging about 3.40/km. That's with a 90sec rest between reps and I was burst after 6. They are banging out sub 3 minute KMs and aren't even fully revved up at this point.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I’m watching the hockey and there seems to be a foul every couple of seconds, they could do with letting it flow a lot more.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    I thought both 400mh records would go this games, one down one to go. There’s every chance either McLaughlin or Mohammad will break the women’s version tomorrow too.
    What a repeat in the women’s , Sydney McLaughlin smashes the old mark and Dalilah Muhammed gets a silver despite also beating the old record.

That track is SO fast!

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    First Gold medal in the velodrome came earlier today, with Matt Walls absolutely bossing the Men's Omnium.

Jason Kenny is out of the Men's sprint at the QF stage, Jack Carlin through to the Semi-finals there.

Well deserved Bronze for Bradshaw in the Pole Vault as well, nearly on the podium in 2012 and 2016.

It’s a tremendous test of endurance but whoever came up with the idea for a 50k walk was having a laugh. It’s not walking and it’s not running, it’s just weird.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s a tremendous test of endurance but whoever came up with the idea for a 50k walk was having a laugh. It’s not walking and it’s not running, it’s just weird.
    The Harold Bishop power walk invitational

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    The Harold Bishop power walk invitational

I once saw a guy training for it in holyrood park, it looks so unnatural.

United we stand here....

It looks like they’re dying on a dump.

United we stand here....

The karate is the worst thing I’ve ever seen at the olympics. What a load of pish.

United we stand here....

This isn’t the karate that I remember. When I did it down at leith community centre me and my mate tried to kick each other in the face.

United we stand here....

The karate is the worst thing I’ve ever seen at the olympics. What a load of pish.
    There’s Olympic Beach Volleyball on Eurosport 2 if you arę a fan.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    There’s Olympic Beach Volleyball on Eurosport 2 if you arę a fan.
    It’s cool the karate has been chopped and we’ve got the hockey on now.

United we stand here....

Go on india 2-0 down, now 3-2 up. When you hear what getting a medal will do to for women in India you can’t help but want them to win.

United we stand here....

Julio Cesar La Cruz was absolutely immense in the heavyweight boxing final. Adds a heavyweight medal to the light heavyweight he won in Rio.

I have no ****ing idea what is going on in the Madison but it's great fun.

There’s a thread in ‘other sports’ for the vast majority of people who want to talk about the various events without trying to make it political.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    Surprised there's not a thread on how well team GB & NI are doing, our very own Laura Muir is up later here's hoping she adds to a very impressive medals tally so far. I'll wave the Hibernian flag just pretend it's a union jack
    Surely they're all your "very own"? You sound like one of these divisive separatists.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    There’s a thread in ‘other sports’ for the vast majority of people who want to talk about the various events without trying to make it political.
    Lighten up Russ no one's making anything political, the games should bring everyone together. I didn't even know there was another sports forum

I’m watching the hockey and there seems to be a foul every couple of seconds, they could do with letting it flow a lot more.
    Or the players could do with fouling less, depending on your point of view 😉

I once saw a guy training for it in holyrood park, it looks so unnatural.
    I watched a bit of it and they actually had the cheek to call a group of them a Peloton

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    Lighten up Russ no one's making anything political, the games should bring everyone together. I didn't even know there was another sports forum
    I’m all light 👍 Just found it a little strange starting a new Olympics thread on here in order to remind us, yet again, that you really like GB and union jacks.

I’m surprised you’ve never noticed the ‘other sports’ board as it sits directly below this, and presumably your favourite, one 😉

The speed climbing was something else, as was the lead and boulder. I've never watched it before must take some strength to climb that wall.