hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just watched the triathlon, some of them were keeling over at the end, the winner got led away in a wheelchair. That’s proper hardcore stuff doing that event.
    Missed it. It's awful when they collapse, looks like a military training exercise as opposed to a competitive sport.
    I'll watch the swimming and athletics on catch up. The time difference is a bummer.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I just watched the triathlon, some of them were keeling over at the end, the winner got led away in a wheelchair. That’s proper hardcore stuff doing that event.
    I genuinely didn't think the Norwegian guy had that in him at the end, total mind over matter

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Just watched a bit of the gymnastics. The ladies beam quite amazing, Im wondering if I could actually just walk across that.
    Did you see the farce at the start? 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    But it’s also a big deal for these countries as well as for the individuals; I read that was Ecuador’s second ever gold medal?
    Absolutely a big deal

The panel are clearly a bit suspicious of the Russia Olympic Committees gold in men’s gymnastics, beating Japan by a whisker.

The panel are clearly a bit suspicious of the Russia Olympic Committees gold in men’s gymnastics, beating Japan by a whisker.
    People should be very wary of any Russian Sports Persons achievements, state sponsored doping and tampering galore, the documentary Icarus on Netflix is staggering in the lengths they went to

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    People should be very wary of any Russian Sports Persons achievements, state sponsored doping and tampering galore, the documentary Icarus on Netflix is staggering in the lengths they went to
    The pundit (British gymnast) reckon the Russian top gymnast ruptured his Achilles 3 months ago, it is unprecedented to be able to even walk after 3 months, let alone fly through the air landing after three twists Whether theres a drug programme that can do that I don’t know. Long lingering close ups on muscles also made it obvious what was being suggested.

I like it that the skaters aren’t wearing any protection, just Adidas and Etnies

The pundit (British gymnast) reckon the Russian top gymnast ruptured his Achilles 3 months ago, it is unprecedented to be able to even walk after 3 months, let alone fly through the air landing after three twists Whether theres a drug programme that can do that I don’t know. Long lingering close ups on muscles also made it obvious what was being suggested.

I like it that the skaters aren’t wearing any protection, just Adidas and Etnies
    I've been watching sports I forgot I like, Handball for example, I can go 4 years without thinking about it and when the Olympics comes round I remember that it's brilliant

I'm also reminded that I hate the way the British Badminton lady screams like mad every time she wins a point, wish someone would just scream back at her

I've been watching sports I forgot I like, Handball for example, I can go 4 years without thinking about it and when the Olympics comes round I remember that it's brilliant

I'm also reminded that I hate the way the British Badminton lady screams like mad every time she wins a point, wish someone would just scream back at her
    Handball is a weird one, absolutely massive in most of Europe, we just don’t seem to have got the bug for some reason

Some performance by Georgia Taylor-Brown in the triathlon. Punctured her back tyre on the last lap of the bike ride and was well adrift in 5th at the transition. Ran a brilliant 10K to take silver. Flora Duffy won to give Bermuda their 1st ever Olympic gold.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    First time I’ve watched rugby sevens, what a great game it is, brilliant comeback from GB 21-0 down at HT and won 26-21.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    First time I’ve watched rugby sevens, what a great game it is, brilliant comeback from GB 21-0 down at HT and won 26-21.
    I can take or leave normal Rugby, I will watch it if it's a big game but 7s is amazing and really exciting

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I can take or leave normal Rugby, I will watch it if it's a big game but 7s is amazing and really exciting
    Similarly, the 3x3 basketball has been great to watch, I’d never sit and watch a regular basketball match.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I genuinely didn't think the Norwegian guy had that in him at the end, total mind over matter
    Neither did I, he looked the least likely to win as it came down to the last part of the run. He also looked the least fittest, but that was obviously not the case as he was amazing.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Some performance by Georgia Taylor-Brown in the triathlon. Punctured her back tyre on the last lap of the bike ride and was well adrift in 5th at the transition. Ran a brilliant 10K to take silver. Flora Duffy won to give Bermuda their 1st ever Olympic gold.
    I agree brilliant performance, if she hadn’t had that puncture she would’ve been much closer to Duffy. I doubt anyone would’ve beaten Duffy though as she was immense.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    she is so good, she’s had several moves named after her on the various disciplines. She does things that either have never been done before (or even thought of!), or are so much more difficult than anyone else taking part
    Dropped out today citing mental health concerns.

yeah I saw that, shame for her, and her team mates

Softball is a rubbish spectacle.

United we stand here....

Gold for the GB men in the 4 x 200m swimming relay, with Scotland's Duncan Scott adding to his individual silver. Great effort.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Without sounding like a dinosaur and genuinely trying to be as sensitive as possible what does that mean. Genuine issues or didn't do as well and then didn't fancy failing. She does appear to be on a ridiculous pedestal and am sure there are loads of stresses to her life however don't really get it she is a performer and her life is built around it seems strange to me that outside of a physical injury she would choose to stop doing what she will be trained both mentally and physically to do at the highest level. Probably not expressing myself well and admit to not knowing a huge amount about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Without sounding like a dinosaur and genuinely trying to be as sensitive as possible what does that mean. Genuine issues or didn't do as well and then didn't fancy failing. She does appear to be on a ridiculous pedestal and am sure there are loads of stresses to her life however don't really get it she is a performer and her life is built around it seems strange to me that outside of a physical injury she would choose to stop doing what she will be trained both mentally and physically to do at the highest level. Probably not expressing myself well and admit to not knowing a huge amount about the subject.
    There was a 3 part documentary on in the lead up to the Olympics delving into the creation and evolution of 'Team GB' after the embarrassment that was Atlanta 96 into something of a juggernaut.

A few of the athletes, most notably Victoria Pendleton and Chris Hoy, spoke about the horrendous pressure they felt throughout their time in the elite set up. Pendleton in particular said it was an environment in which it was difficult to thrive as a person and athletes were essentially treated as machines who had to deliver optimal performance on command. She said that on winning gold in 2012 she felt relief and the removal of a huge mental burden rather than any joy.

On a more local level Scottish speed skater Elise Christie has spoken very openly and honestly about her self harm and struggles with depression. She is a multiple European and world champion but has performed poorly at the Olympics twice and been subjected to some horrendous mocking and abuse on social media (including on here at the last winter games Iirc). Add to that the fact she holds down a job delivering for Pizza Hut whilst trying to prepare for another Olympic appearance. I also like reading Eilish McColgan's thoughts on Twitter. She speaks openly about all the reasons why she might underperform on occasions and why for an elite sportswomen it's not always as simple as turn up and perform at your optimum level.

For Biles the mental pressure to perform must be immense. She is an absolute icon, the flag bearer for her sport and is so good there are moves named after her because no one else can or will perform them. I can understand how the expectation that she can just turn up and switch it on can cause her to struggle mentally. I think with the actions of Naomi Osaka recently we have reached a point at which more elite sportspeople are going to take a step back when they have to.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I watched some of the table tennis last night, couldn't get over how intricate and flamboyant they make the serves, couldn't stop laughing at it

I watched some of the table tennis last night, couldn't get over how intricate and flamboyant they make the serves, couldn't stop laughing at it
    I refuse to watch until they call it it’s proper name, ping pong.

I immediately thought you’d like this podcast about Olympic history, the ‘blood on the water’ Hungary-Soviet Union water polo sounds like a good watch

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4aOVEKSuBJVvMl3WlJBgvk?si=Ix5ARaGcR2CGzhl2ZHUCYw&d l_branch=1

I immediately thought you’d like this podcast about Olympic history, the ‘blood on the water’ Hungary-Soviet Union water polo sounds like a good watch

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4aOVEKSuBJVvMl3WlJBgvk?si=Ix5ARaGcR2CGzhl2ZHUCYw&d l_branch=1
    Will give it a listen, I've been down the rabbit hole of Ping Pong V Table Tennis all morning, it's a controversial topic seemingly

A good slap from her coach might have shaken her out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n85Xay3zfKk

Alex Scott is my favourite.
    BMX in the olympics. Imagine that in the 80s cutting about on your mongoose😆

There is chat that she has taken pills for ADHD for years and that they are illegal in Japan so she's not been able to take them, could go some way to explain why she isn't feeling 100% focussed and able to compete

Years of last position "tried hard" stickers at school sports coming home to roost 😎

@hibs.net private member
    3 x 3 basketball, rugby 7s, skateboarding, mountain biking to name but a few. Give it 20 years the Olympics will go on for 2 months & every sport on the planet will be in there.

P.S I really enjoy 🏀