hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HMK Rijeka

Looks like they drew with Real Sociedad and beat AZ Alkmar in 2020 so we will have our work cut out for us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t know about better but we’re more defensively solid and for European games I suspect that’ll stand us in better stead.

Being an open attacking team would leave gaps that are quite easily exploited by better teams.

I don’t mean that in a negative way about this side, it’s just how I see us now.

There’s no away goals this year either is there?
    Nope.

Not that I want to be a Debbie Downer but they should be knocking us out with ease based on their European record in recent years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Looks like they drew with Real Sociedad and beat AZ Alkmar in 2020 so we will have our work cut out for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    Not that I want to be a Debbie Downer but they should be knocking us out with ease based on their European record in recent years.
    Fair enough. But don’t forget that we are untested and an unknown quantity in Europe with our present team. Let’s keep our chin up and give it our best shot.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Conversely, Scotland are currently the 9th best league in Europe and Croatia the 14th which is a better indicator of league strength than how good the national team is. However nearly all our coefficient points come from the old firm whereas Rijeka have picked up a lot for their league in recent years.

Not so sure about that, think they're about level these days. Zagreb have done about as well, if not better than Olympiacos in Europe in recent years and Rijeka have done better than AEK, PAOK etc. Greek league is currently only ranked 20th in Europe.

Rijeka have made the groups a couple of times in recent years and as another poster said always come in the top 3 and have won a title recently as well. Tripolis are often a mid table side, regularly finishing 8th or 9th.

Think they will be the toughest side we've faced in Europe in a while (take Haaland away from Molde and they were nothing special) and will be a slight step up from Tripolis or Brondy imo.
    Agree with all of this, a good summary

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    IMO any team which has played regularly in Europe invariably know how to deal with the atmosphere and referee. Gamesmanship, keeping the head or riling up the opposition and ability to put pressure on the ref cannot be underestimated. Have too often seen the better side beaten by streetwise opposition in Europe. It's very different to playing domestic matches.
    Good post Onion
    As well as playing to the best of their ability Hibs players require to have their cool adult heads on at all times so as not to get drawn into needless conflict and gamesmanship.
    A big jump in quality from the current round but we could win if we don't get suckered.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 23-07-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    There was over 4600 there… 3 tickets away from max allocation.
    Official attendance at the game was 4697

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure if we will beat them or not ( hoping we do ). However I’m glad we’re in Europe and getting there at least gives us more experience for our next European game/adventure.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    No reason why we can't beat them over 2 legs. If we can keep solid defensively, we've got the attacking players there that can score goals against pretty much anyone.

Unsure how possible it is, or if he'd need to isolate or whatever, but if we can even get Mueller in ahead of that tie, that could be an even bigger boost.
    They've said he won't be here until January after Orlando's season is finished. Don't think we'll see him right away, at least not until after Chris Mueller's Day Off. Mueller....Mueller...Mueller...

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Gutted we won’t have an official allocation and that sitting in the home end sounds very much a no-go after a bit research. Quite easy to get there via London. Looks like some place which would have meant it would have been some trip
    Unless you were unable to get tickets, you’d have no issues attending the game in the home end. The “radges” for all clubs congregate together (typically behind the goals on the continent). Avoid these fans and you’d be absolutely fine.

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    IMO any team which has played regularly in Europe invariably know how to deal with the atmosphere and referee. Gamesmanship, keeping the head or riling up the opposition and ability to put pressure on the ref cannot be underestimated. Have too often seen the better side beaten by streetwise opposition in Europe. It's very different to playing domestic matches.
    100% correct. Seen it in Europe since the sixties🙄

Looking at their 2020/21 top 5 goalscorers on Wiki. 1 player (14 goals) off to China, 2 players (10 and 8 goals) to Dinamo Zagreb. That leaves Robert Muric (12 goals) and Josip Drmic, Swiss international on loan from Norwich (7 goals). Don't know if it's a cost-cutting but it looks like they might be weaker than last season.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I agree and a better manager as well.
    Interesting that people think we have a better team now than we did then. Player for player I would say we don’t. We had a shocking keeper(s) back then and undoubted flaws in that Mowbray squad, but it was largely the group that went on to win the League cup in 2007.

Even the team that got pumped in the away leg in Dnipro had some serious quality in it….maybe no so much the subs’ bench right enough! Can’t remember why now but Scott Brown was also absent.

Hibernian: Malkowski, Beuzelin (Fletcher 66), Caldwell, Murphy, O'Connor (Morrow 77), Riordan, Sproule, Stewart (Shiels 72), Hogg, Thomson, Whittaker.
    Subs Not Used: Simon Brown, Glass, Konte, Rudge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Think our team is better than it was when we played those games. Can only hope.
    No way is this team better than Mowbray's. Not even close.

I agree and a better manager as well.
    No again. And not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    I think we go into the champions league 🥂

Isn't it amazing the huge jump in class from this round to the next?

My thoughts on Rijeka? They should be technically and tactically ahead of us, sure we can match them for athleticism and passion but remember Croatia at this time of year is generally very hot and they will be much more adapt at playing in furnace conditions.

I would imagine that over the two legs the game could pan out in the same way as the recent Scotland v Croatia Euro match where the Scots were taught a lesson or two and made to look bang average.

Of course I hope I'm wrong, I know on our day we can be very proficient and play some good stuff, maybe I'm doing our club and domestic game a disservice?

If Rijeka have offloaded some players for decent €s it's maybe to help fund the rebuild of their stadium. Are they not the club who's ground is sandwiched between a cliff and the water, with one end overlooking the town? Incredibly picturesque but totally ramshackled. I'm sure there is an amazing redevelopment planned that will not be cheap!
    Last edited by Renfrew_Hibby; 24-07-2021 at 06:59 AM.

Looks like they had some decent results in the Europa League last year.

Beat Copenhagen 1-0 in the playoff round which would be a similar standard of opposition to when we played Brondby a few years back (a tie we should have won). Lost their first four group games and looks like they scraped a couple of results in the last couple, against decent opposition though.

Definitely don’t think it’s the worst draw we could have got and definitely think we have a chance of going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post

My thoughts on Rijeka? They should be technically and tactically ahead of us, sure we can match them for athleticism and passion but remember Croatia at this time of year is generally very hot and they will be much more adapt at playing in furnace conditions.

I would imagine that over the two legs the game could pan out in the same way as the recent Scotland v Croatia Euro match where the Scots were taught a lesson or two and made to look bang average.

Of course I hope I'm wrong, I know on our day we can be very proficient and play some good stuff, maybe I'm doing our club and domestic game a disservice?

If Rijeka have offloaded some players for decent €s it's maybe to help fund the rebuild of their stadium. Are they not the club who's ground is sandwiched between a cliff and the water, with one end overlooking the town? Incredibly picturesque but totally ramshackled. I'm sure there is an amazing redevelopment planned that will not be cheap!
    First three paragraphs are bang on with my thoughts on this tie. I’m looking forward to the game more than any game for a long time (forget about May) but I’m realistic about our chances.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    I would rate this game 50/50, yes they are a good team but they have had 7 players leave who were mostly on loan. Yes they will be a good team but what they did 2, 5 or 10 years ago is irrelevant. It’s the team they have now that i am concerned about, i am sure nobody on here knows how good or bad a team they really are. We will find out soon enough

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I doubt that they will be overly concerned about playing us but we have a chance.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    We don't have a great record in Central Europe. Videoton is the only victory I can recall. Be good to break that streak.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post

They’ve been playing temporarily at another ground for 5 or 6 years now. The old stadium is owned by the city and is being refurbished but not sure how much a contribution - if any - the club will be making to that.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Croatia would have been a barry trip beautiful country

Anyone going remember to take their currency
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 24-07-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Croatia would have been a barry trip beautiful country

Anyone going remember to take their currency

Edit: Return leg behind closed doors
    That really would have been a great trip.
    Shame

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    That really would have been a great trip.
    Shame
    Sorry was talking pish

Should be a good trip �� ������������
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 24-07-2021 at 03:12 PM.

I take it, if both us and Rijeka get through to the next round. They will be the seeded side and the second leg of the tie will be a home game for them. Is that right or wrong

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Playing now in the league against Istra1961.
    Stream on hesgoal

Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    I take it, if both us and Rijeka get through to the next round. They will be the seeded side and the second leg of the tie will be a home game for them. Is that right or wrong
    They’re at home second purely because of the way the draw came out rather than due to them being seeded.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    Playing now in the league against Istra1961.
    Stream on hesgoal
    How do they look?

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    How do they look?
    Good technically as expected, move the ball quickly and, they like ball over the top of the defence and are accurate with them as well. Should be at least 2 or 3 up, 4 good chances, 1 an absolute sitter. Half time 0-0. Not familiar with the opposition but they finished 9th in Croatian league so riejka looking to win comfortably anyway.

Will definitely be a tough game should we play them would need to stay switched on, think we could struggle in the away leg.