hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HMK Rijeka

@hibs.net private member

HMK Rijeka

Yes I am getting ahead of myself after only one leg. Does anyone know much about our likely opponents for the next leg and how do you fancy out chances? I don’t know anything about them really however would like to think we can better the team that came 3rd in the Croatian league.

Also are we in the groups if we beat them or is there a further knockout round?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Theyre a good side I think. Close game.

First Team Breakthrough
    Not finished outside of the top 3 since 2011/12 including a league title in 2017. They qualified for the group stages of last seasons Europa league finishing last in their group with 4 points (Napoli, Sociedad, AZ Alkmaar). So clearly a consistent club who are also no pushovers at Europa League level.

They played Aberdeen in Europa qualifying in 2019 and beat them 2-0 comfortably in both legs.

Think it will be a very tricky tie, and one we’ll need to be at our best to have a chance of progressing.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I am getting ahead of myself after only one leg. Does anyone know much about our likely opponents for the next leg and how do you fancy out chances? I don’t know anything about them really however would like to think we can better the team that came 3rd in the Croatian league.

I wouldn't be confident in a Scotland v Croatia international match, so 3rd in our league against 3rd in their's.... It's going to be a tough one.

We will not progress further in this tournament. They are a better, more experienced side. Glorious narrow defeat is the best we can hope for here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    We will not progress further in this tournament. They are a better, more experienced side. Glorious narrow defeat is the best we can hope for here.
    I would think the best we could hope for is 6-2 win away and a 7-0 win at home? 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I would think the best we could hope for is 6-2 win away and a 7-0 win at home? 🤣
    Conceding 2 away from home? Sack the board

How do we think this team compare to asteras tripolis..? Any European Football experts here...

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Based on what? Results you have seen from them in the last few years or actually having seen them play

IMO any team which has played regularly in Europe invariably know how to deal with the atmosphere and referee. Gamesmanship, keeping the head or riling up the opposition and ability to put pressure on the ref cannot be underestimated. Have too often seen the better side beaten by streetwise opposition in Europe. It's very different to playing domestic matches.
    Last edited by Onion; 23-07-2021 at 07:03 AM.

If we beat Rijeka there's a play off round after that and then it's the group stages.

I'd class them in the same bracket as Dnipro and Maribor. Very tough tie.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    How do we think this team compare to asteras tripolis..? Any European Football experts here...
    Not an expert by any means but the Greek league is much stronger than the Croatian league. For all the talent they have in their national team, they mostly play abroad and come out the Zagreb academies.

It will be a tough tie, but I'm not writing us off.

Every post a troll.

We will pump them.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMan10 View Post
    Not finished outside of the top 3 since 2011/12 including a league title in 2017. They qualified for the group stages of last seasons Europa league finishing last in their group with 4 points (Napoli, Sociedad, AZ Alkmaar). So clearly a consistent club who are also no pushovers at Europa League level.

They played Aberdeen in Europa qualifying in 2019 and beat them 2-0 comfortably in both legs.

Think it will be a very tricky tie, and one we’ll need to be at our best to have a chance of progressing.
    If we perform as we can we should have a chance. In 2019 the Sheep played the home leg (0-2) with 10 men for 70 mins and were abject per the BBC match report. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49324014 Might help lull the Croats into thinking we'll be easy opposition.

No reason why we can't beat them over 2 legs. If we can keep solid defensively, we've got the attacking players there that can score goals against pretty much anyone.

Unsure how possible it is, or if he'd need to isolate or whatever, but if we can even get Mueller in ahead of that tie, that could be an even bigger boost.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I wouldn't be confident in a Scotland v Croatia international match, so 3rd in our league against 3rd in their's.... It's going to be a tough one.
    Conversely, Scotland are currently the 9th best league in Europe and Croatia the 14th which is a better indicator of league strength than how good the national team is. However nearly all our coefficient points come from the old firm whereas Rijeka have picked up a lot for their league in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Not an expert by any means but the Greek league is much stronger than the Croatian league. For all the talent they have in their national team, they mostly play abroad and come out the Zagreb academies.

It will be a tough tie, but I'm not writing us off.
    Not so sure about that, think they're about level these days. Zagreb have done about as well, if not better than Olympiacos in Europe in recent years and Rijeka have done better than AEK, PAOK etc. Greek league is currently only ranked 20th in Europe.

Rijeka have made the groups a couple of times in recent years and as another poster said always come in the top 3 and have won a title recently as well. Tripolis are often a mid table side, regularly finishing 8th or 9th.

Think they will be the toughest side we've faced in Europe in a while (take Haaland away from Molde and they were nothing special) and will be a slight step up from Tripolis or Brondy imo.

Just having a look at their European record the last few seasons confirms we are in for a tough game. Regularly make the Europa League group stages & have knocked out some decent teams (Stuttgart, RB Salzburg, Copenhagen) along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I dont think the croatian league is reflective of the national team. Most top players play outwith croatia. Still a very tough game but definitely winnable.

@hibs.net private member
    Shame we won’t even be allowed 10k for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    Shame we won’t even be allowed 10k for this game.
    Well we struggled to sell 4k for this game.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I'd class them in the same bracket as Dnipro and Maribor. Very tough tie.
    Neither of which we progressed.

🙁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    There was over 4600 there… 3 tickets away from max allocation.

Not impossible but we will very much be underdogs IMO.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    I think a lot of people probably didn't even try to get a ticket though, like when I see there is a limited capacity of 4600 or whatever and know we have 10k plus season ticket holders more dedicated than me, I just automatically assumed there was no point in me even trying to go to the game.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

why would we think we were better given the general excellent technical quality of Croatian players. Tight game but we will need to be way better than last night especially first half.

Anyone know the dates for this possible game ?

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Eh? The first batch of tickets sold out in less than 15 minutes and there were only 3 no shows in almost 5000. Don’t see many signs of a struggle there. As an aside it was brilliant, almost surreal to be back after nearly 18 months away.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    I dont think the croatian league is reflective of the national team. Most top players play outwith croatia. Still a very tough game but definitely winnable.
    Hopefully Hibs go into any tie thinking that it's winnable, but it'll definitely be tough.