hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HMK Rijeka

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member

HMK Rijeka

Yes I am getting ahead of myself after only one leg. Does anyone know much about our likely opponents for the next leg and how do you fancy out chances? I don’t know anything about them really however would like to think we can better the team that came 3rd in the Croatian league.

Also are we in the groups if we beat them or is there a further knockout round?

Theyre a good side I think. Close game.

First Team Breakthrough
    Not finished outside of the top 3 since 2011/12 including a league title in 2017. They qualified for the group stages of last seasons Europa league finishing last in their group with 4 points (Napoli, Sociedad, AZ Alkmaar). So clearly a consistent club who are also no pushovers at Europa League level.

They played Aberdeen in Europa qualifying in 2019 and beat them 2-0 comfortably in both legs.

Think it will be a very tricky tie, and one we’ll need to be at our best to have a chance of progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMan10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not finished outside of the top 3 since 2011/12 including a league title in 2017. They qualified for the group stages of last seasons Europa league finishing last in their group with 4 points (Napoli, Sociedad, AZ Alkmaar). So clearly a consistent club who are also no pushovers at Europa League level.

They played Aberdeen in Europa qualifying in 2019 and beat them 2-0 comfortably in both legs.

Think it will be a very tricky tie, and one we’ll need to be at our best to have a chance of progressing.
    If we perform as we can we should have a chance. In 2019 the Sheep played the home leg (0-2) with 10 men for 70 mins and were abject per the BBC match report. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49324014 Might help lull the Croats into thinking we'll be easy opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    If we perform as we can we should have a chance. In 2019 the Sheep played the home leg (0-2) with 10 men for 70 mins and were abject per the BBC match report. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49324014 Might help lull the Croats into thinking we'll be easy opposition.
    I prefer to recall the 2015 meeting - this one was in their panoramic former stadium, wedged between a cliff and the Adriatic - roasting hot evening and the first part of a 5-2 aggregate win. Yes, they did beat us in 2019 though - the away leg was so-so until a late penalty and stoppage time second, but we were poor at home losing an early goal, which effectively ended it. I rate Hibs chances here as 40-60, purely as Rijeka are fairly seasoned Euro campaigners and generally very good at home. Our win there broke a long unbeaten Euro home run.

Last edited by Pablo172; 31-07-2021 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMan10 View Post

They also played each other 2015. 2-2 at Pittodrie and oddly 3-0 Aberdeen in Croatia. It's a tough tie (potentially!) but not impossible.

Testimonial Due
    It will be a tough tie and I would make them favourites, but some people on here and social media are making them out to be Real Madrid. I think we have a good chance against them.

Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    It will be a tough tie and I would make them favourites, but some people on here and social media are making them out to be Real Madrid. I think we have a good chance against them.
    No schoolboy errors over 180 minutes and we have every chance but there is no denying the class of their striker Drmic.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    Yes I am getting ahead of myself after only one leg. Does anyone know much about our likely opponents for the next leg and how do you fancy out chances? I don’t know anything about them really however would like to think we can better the team that came 3rd in the Croatian league.

I wouldn't be confident in a Scotland v Croatia international match, so 3rd in our league against 3rd in their's.... It's going to be a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I wouldn't be confident in a Scotland v Croatia international match, so 3rd in our league against 3rd in their's.... It's going to be a tough one.
    I dont think the croatian league is reflective of the national team. Most top players play outwith croatia. Still a very tough game but definitely winnable.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    I dont think the croatian league is reflective of the national team. Most top players play outwith croatia. Still a very tough game but definitely winnable.
    Hopefully Hibs go into any tie thinking that it's winnable, but it'll definitely be tough.

In 2018 they had 1 player, Filip Bradaric, in Croatia's World Cup squad. They didn't have any players at 2021 Euros.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    A lot will depend on us still having our key players particularly Martin Boyle.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

We will not progress further in this tournament. They are a better, more experienced side. Glorious narrow defeat is the best we can hope for here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    We will not progress further in this tournament. They are a better, more experienced side. Glorious narrow defeat is the best we can hope for here.
    I would think the best we could hope for is 6-2 win away and a 7-0 win at home? 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I would think the best we could hope for is 6-2 win away and a 7-0 win at home? 🤣
    Conceding 2 away from home? Sack the board

How do we think this team compare to asteras tripolis..? Any European Football experts here...

IMO any team which has played regularly in Europe invariably know how to deal with the atmosphere and referee. Gamesmanship, keeping the head or riling up the opposition and ability to put pressure on the ref cannot be underestimated. Have too often seen the better side beaten by streetwise opposition in Europe. It's very different to playing domestic matches.
    Last edited by Onion; 23-07-2021 at 07:03 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    How do we think this team compare to asteras tripolis..? Any European Football experts here...
    Not an expert by any means but the Greek league is much stronger than the Croatian league. For all the talent they have in their national team, they mostly play abroad and come out the Zagreb academies.

It will be a tough tie, but I'm not writing us off.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Based on what? Results you have seen from them in the last few years or actually having seen them play

Every post a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Every post a troll.
    I’m basing on our record against half decent but not top notch European sides over the last few years. Other than Brondy, we’ve invariably been second best.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post

If we beat Rijeka there's a play off round after that and then it's the group stages.

I'd class them in the same bracket as Dnipro and Maribor. Very tough tie.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Neither of which we progressed.

🙁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Think our team is better than it was when we played those games. Can only hope.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    I agree and a better manager as well.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Interesting that people think we have a better team now than we did then. Player for player I would say we don’t. We had a shocking keeper(s) back then and undoubted flaws in that Mowbray squad, but it was largely the group that went on to win the League cup in 2007.

Even the team that got pumped in the away leg in Dnipro had some serious quality in it….maybe no so much the subs’ bench right enough! Can’t remember why now but Scott Brown was also absent.

Hibernian: Malkowski, Beuzelin (Fletcher 66), Caldwell, Murphy, O'Connor (Morrow 77), Riordan, Sproule, Stewart (Shiels 72), Hogg, Thomson, Whittaker.
    Subs Not Used: Simon Brown, Glass, Konte, Rudge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    No way is this team better than Mowbray's. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    No again. And not even close.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    This team is better than the side Mowbray had at his disposal when we played Dnipro?(And I know we got pumped.)
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller