hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Ross

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Removing ourselves from the Jack Ross conversation for a second I don’t think there’s any doubt it will be.

Hearts will be a sterner test than Hamilton. St Johnstone came out the traps very slowly last season and we don’t need to talk about how much they improved later in the season. Same applies with Motherwell.

Celtic unlikely to be as bad as they were last year, Dundee Utd another year in and established in the league.

I don’t see any obvious ‘whipping boys’ this season.

Same will apply to all teams though so not sure we’ll see that much difference in terms of points totals, I think it will be a harder league this year though.
    Looking at it from a purely "rivals" point of view. Celtic and Aberdeen are in transition, Dundee United have a rookie managing them and Hearts are a bit of an unknown but the general consensus amongst that lot is they aren't particularly positive about their chances this season. St Johnstone will be lucky to keep their defence and Livingston won't go on a mental run this season. I'd say it's about the same as last season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Really, really happy with that. It’s clear he’s a very good manager - 3rd, a cup final and two cup semi finals is as good a season as we’ve had in the past 30 years. He’s building a solid foundation here and we will only get stronger. Stability is key just now whilst Hearts and Aberdeen look set to be in a bit of a transition.
    Turn the semi finals into finals & the finals into wins.

Deserves it on the back of managing the team to third place. Here is hoping we can repeat the feat as well as kicking on in Europe.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This but beating Hearts is not the be all and end all

We need to finish third by playing fast exciting entertaining attractive attacking football not the sterile behind closed doors stuff where every team had sussed our style by season end and panic mode had set in with no plan B

Jack Ross needs to prove to us he is not a ‘Loser’ by beating Celtic The Rangers Aberdeen and Hearts and winning trophies

Bring it on !
    Which part of panic mode does beating Aberdeen 1-0 at Pitoddrie, followed by a 0-0 draw with Celtic fall under?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Which part of panic mode does beating Aberdeen 1-0 at Pitoddrie, followed by a 0-0 draw with Celtic fall under?
    Exactly - it's like Groundhog Day!

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Exactly - it's like Groundhog Day!
    I don't mind Jack Ross getting pelters for things he's done wrong (within reason), but making stuff up to fit a narrative...jeez.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar

We need to finish third by playing fast exciting entertaining attractive attacking football not the sterile behind closed doors stuff where every team had sussed our style by season end and panic mode had set in with no plan B

Jack Ross needs to prove to us he is not a ‘Loser’ by beating Celtic The Rangers Aberdeen and Hearts and winning trophies

Bring it on !
    See, I am still miffed by the cup final ‘performance’ as much as the next guy.

But I don’t think we fell apart at the end of the season. Far from it to be honest.

We won the semi with ease. We beat the sheep up there for the first time in 9 year and finished comfortably third.

I never seen any end of season panic mode

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Livi, Motherwell, Hearts, St Johnstone ( twice) and could easily with a bit of luck beat a poor Celtic twice especially at home

The last home derby was an embarrassment my granny has more fight and she’s been deid thirty years

It would be hell of a boring if we all just agreed.

Ross has done a decent job, from that point of view he deserves a new contract. I don't have to be particularly enthused about the idea watching his team for the next few years though. If others feel the end result is the only concern or genuinely enjoyed watching us last season then I'm not going to say you're wrong but I personally can't get all that excited about this news.

From a stability point of view it's good and there is every chance it could prove to be from a performance one as well. Time will tell.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    See, I am still miffed by the cup final ‘performance’ as much as the next guy.

But I don’t think we fell apart at the end of the season. Far from it to be honest.

We won the semi with ease. We beat the sheep up there for the first time in 9 year and finished comfortably third.

I never seen any end of season panic mode
    Yip Jack Ross seemed to think we played well in the Final couldn’t fault the players or tactics

Yip Jack Ross seemed to think we played well in the Final couldn’t fault the players or tactics
    Luckily there's more to football than post match interviews.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Believe then I have a bridge to sell

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Bring it on !
    That has to be right up there with the most bullcrap i've read on here, and i've written some bullcrap in my time.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Great news best manager for a long time

Is this new tougher league only tougher for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Ross has done a decent job, from that point of view he deserves a new contract. I don't have to be particularly enthused about the idea watching his team for the next few years though. If others feel the end result is the only concern or genuinely enjoyed watching us last season then I'm not going to say you're wrong but I personally can't get all that excited about this news.

From a stability point of view it's good and there is every chance it could prove to be from a performance one as well. Time will tell.
    Couldn't agree more PB.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    That has to be right up there with the most bullcrap i've read on here, and i've written some bullcrap in my time.
    As another poster has pointed out the football on offer was eye bleeding and he spurned three gilt edged opportunities to deliver silverware

It is only finishing third that keeps him in my good books

You know where the ignore button is

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

That surely is the aim, and we start from a better place than a lot of previous managers. The foundations are there for this manager to improve us even more, and hopefully the odd trophy with some attractive football.

As you say, time will tell, i also feel with fans actually in the stadium, it wont feel as sterile as it has watching on tv, and emotions will impact on peoples views on how we've played, rather than this black or white viewpoint we see now.

As another poster has pointed out the football on offer was eye bleeding and he spurned three gilt edged opportunities to deliver silverware

It is only finishing third that keeps him in my good books

You know where the ignore button is
    No chance, i love reading bull.

Every manager has a shelf life at a club before a natural decline. A good example is McInnes at Aberdeen. But what I'd give to have a good 4 or 5 seasons regularly competing for 3rd and getting to cup finals. Would do the club wonders. Was a rarity for Hibs finishing 3rd but next step is to try and do it consistently. That would be outstanding. We have a chance to do that under Ross. Has he made mistakes? Undoubtedly, but you learn through experience. We have a really solid foundation to push on as a club on and off the park, I'm excited for the future and it's about bloody time.
    Last edited by Since452; 20-07-2021 at 10:21 AM.

No chance, i love reading bull.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    How many points we taking off them then?
    I can’t find my crystal ball just now.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    That surely is the aim, and we start from a better place than a lot of previous managers. The foundations are there for this manager to improve us even more, and hopefully the odd trophy with some attractive football.

As you say, time will tell, i also feel with fans actually in the stadium, it wont feel as sterile as it has watching on tv, and emotions will impact on peoples views on how we've played, rather than this black or white viewpoint we see now.
    Our home form will have to improve under Ross, fans back in the ground, that mob in the West when things aren’t going well will let him know these dull performances aren’t good enough if they continue from last season.,

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Do you not think Hearts will be better than Hamilton?

Straight away that makes it a tougher League IMO. Nothing to do with them being our rivals.
    Newly promoted Hearts will make it a much tougher league will they? Pretty sure they will play all the other teams too, not just Hibs. I have no idea if they will be better than Hamilton, they were pretty crap the season before last though.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Newly promoted Hearts will make it a much tougher league will they? Pretty sure they will play all the other teams too, not just Hibs. I have no idea if they will be better than Hamilton, they were pretty crap the season before last though.
    I think it’ll be a higher standard of league, but then as you say, that goes for everybody.

The problem with Hearts is that other teams have no problems tucking them away. We do though, regardless of how ***** they are so in that regard it does become a slightly tougher league for us.

Testimonial Due
    Ross out now!

I think this continuity is positive.
    Ross still has a few Lennon and Heckenbottom era players for one more season. That cycle will end next summer and from thereon Ross will have only players signed in his time plus those already here who he wanted to keep and gave new contracts to.
    He has gradually moved on those players he doesn't want. That started with Vela and this summer has seen Mallan, James, Murray & Gray leave the first team.
    I think we will be 3rd again this season if we can hold onto Nisbet & Boyle or replace them well which would be a tough ask.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Think you are missing the point as to why Hearts being back in the league makes it tougher for Hibs.

Our record against them is woeful. The season they were relegated they beat us 2/3 times with us taking 3 points off them.

Say we were to play Hamilton instead that is easily 7/9 points lost for us against the field. That's why it is tougher for us and especially Jack Ross as he will be under the spotlight in derbies.

Historically, we will do well to take 4 points off them this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Think you are missing the point as to why Hearts being back in the league makes it tougher for Hibs.

Our record against them is woeful. The season they were relegated they beat us 2/3 times with us taking 3 points off them.

Say we were to play Hamilton instead that is easily 7/9 points lost for us against the field. That's why it is tougher for us and especially Jack Ross as he will be under the spotlight in derbies.

Historically, we will do well to take 4 points off them this season.
    Especially from people like yourself.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Especially from people like yourself.
    The whole club should be under the spotlight in derbies from everybody.

They’re huge games. We’re best of the rest, they’re newly promoted. The expectation on Hibs should be sky high.