hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Ross

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The whole club should be under the spotlight in derbies from everybody.

They’re huge games. We’re best of the rest, they’re newly promoted. The expectation on Hibs should be sky high.
    Does that mean compulsory hysterics if a result doesn't go our way?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It means there’ll be valid criticism if our record against them is ****.

That’s the way it is when you’re meant to be the best of the rest.

Left by mutual consent!
    Especially from people like yourself.
    I want us to be winning Derbies, yes.

Not least when they are bottom of the league staring relegation in the face or when they are in the league below and they have barely played a competitive match and we are playing them in a Scottish Cup Semi Final.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    As another poster has pointed out the football on offer was eye bleeding and he spurned three gilt edged opportunities to deliver silverware

It is only finishing third that keeps him in my good books

You know where the ignore button is
    No it wasn’t.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Think you are missing the point as to why Hearts being back in the league makes it tougher for Hibs.

Our record against them is woeful. The season they were relegated they beat us 2/3 times with us taking 3 points off them.

Say we were to play Hamilton instead that is easily 7/9 points lost for us against the field. That's why it is tougher for us and especially Jack Ross as he will be under the spotlight in derbies.

Historically, we will do well to take 4 points off them this season.
    I’m not missing the point at all, I just don’t agree with you. Do you think Hearts will take more points of other teams than Hamilton did?

It’s just another game. But as we’ve heard from many on here they would happily be bottom 6 as long as we beat Hearts. And that’s just a crazy attitude to have.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Think you are missing the point as to why Hearts being back in the league makes it tougher for Hibs.

Our record against them is woeful. The season they were relegated they beat us 2/3 times with us taking 3 points off them.

Say we were to play Hamilton instead that is easily 7/9 points lost for us against the field. That's why it is tougher for us and especially Jack Ross as he will be under the spotlight in derbies.

Historically, we will do well to take 4 points off them this season.
    That isn't strictly accurate. Someone posted a summary of our derby record these past ten seasons or so and there isn't much in it. That said we do have the weight of history associated with the fixture and as well all know, our overall record is dismal.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    It’s just another game. But as we’ve heard from many on here they would happily be bottom 6 as long as we beat Hearts. And that’s just a crazy attitude to have.
    It's not just another game either - but it certainly isn't the be all and end all.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's not just another game either - but it certainly isn't the be all and end all.
    Fine margins, I'm sure we'll come good eventually in Derbies.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This but beating Hearts is not the be all and end all

We need to finish third by playing fast exciting entertaining attractive attacking football not the sterile behind closed doors stuff where every team had sussed our style by season end and panic mode had set in with no plan B

Jack Ross needs to prove to us he is not a ‘Loser’ by beating Celtic The Rangers Aberdeen and Hearts and winning trophies

Bring it on !
    Why do we need to finish 3rd by playing a different style than the one that had us 3rd this season?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I’m not missing the point at all, I just don’t agree with you. Do you think Hearts will take more points of other teams than Hamilton did?
    Point missed. Doesn't matter how they perform against other teams. But, it matters how they perform against us as our record isn't great in Derbies which makes it tougher against them than against a team like Hamilton.

It matters how many they'll take off us.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    No it wasn’t.
    You think?

Most of the games I watched on HIBS Pass were uninspiring to say the least

I did enjoy Aberdeen away a result that gave me hope for the Cup Final but it was not to be

Let’s just say if it continues in the same vein the fans in the ground will become restless if results don’t go our way and Ross will be forced to make changes in personnel and shape quicker and sooner to influence games to ensure a positive result

Let’s just see what happens

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why do we need to finish 3rd by playing a different style than the one that had us 3rd this season?
    It is the HIBS way

See my post #103

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Some people see football as a results business. Some people see football as being in the entertainment business. I’m not saying one or the other is right or wrong, I just think different people look for different things.

Finishing 3rd was great but did I enjoy last season? Nope.

That might change when we’re back in stadiums next season but I’m not convinced, even if we do finish 3rd again.

I'll take third and the same approach again. That said, it was pretty dull at times. Hopefully Ross will have the savvy to take the team forward with new signings and a more entertaining style of play.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Some people see football as a results business. Some people see football as being in the entertainment business. I’m not saying one or the other is right or wrong, I just think different people look for different things.

Finishing 3rd was great but did I enjoy last season? Nope.

That might change when we’re back in stadiums next season but I’m not convinced, even if we do finish 3rd again.
    We didn't win a cup playing a style that was to grind out results going against the tradition of the club.

I'll take third and the same approach again. That said, it was pretty dull at times. Hopefully Ross will have the savvy to take the team forward with new signings and a more entertaining style of play.

First Team Regular WillowbraeHibby's Avatar
    We didn't win a cup playing a style that was to grind out results going against the tradition of the club.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Is it our tradition?

How many seasons in the past 30 years have we actually played flair football?

IMHO its as much a myth as 'Hibs class'

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Callum_62; 20-07-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Jack Ross has performed much better for us than most of our other head coaches/managers.

Very much preaching to the converted here.

I’m sure people will come along soon with stats to say why we were actually exciting to watch but it wasn’t my experience of watching us last season.

There’s obviously a balance to be had, nobody wants to watch an attacking team finishing near the bottom of the league. Hopefully we’ve laid the foundations and we can now build on last season to play a more entertaining brand of football. Another season the same as last season will be considered a success to many people and I get why, it’s just not what I’m after.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Point missed. Doesn't matter how they perform against other teams. But, it matters how they perform against us as our record isn't great in Derbies which makes it tougher against them than against a team like Hamilton.

It matters how many they'll take off us.
    Point missed? Again you have spectacularly missed the point or just chosen to ignore it.

Do you really think it’s the cup final in isolation that people are upset about?

It’s the cup final combined with the semi final loss to St Johnstone, the semi final loss to Hearts and the league defeat at home to Hearts when we were battered at a time they were losing to everyone.

That combined with not the most entertaining brand of football I can understand why many aren’t doing cartwheels about this.

He finished third last season and he deserves credit for the team he built. Once the dust had settled from the cup final, nobody wanted him sacked and quite rightly so. That doesn’t mean everyone has taken to him again all of a sudden though.

I think he does have a lot to prove this season, you can scoff at that all you want but wait and see the reaction if we lose the first derby. If we win that derby he’ll also get plenty praise BTW. To me that’s pretty much the definition of having something to prove.
    Why does winning a Derby define a season? He could win all four (or three!) and take us down. Is that progress?

Coaching Staff
    Very much preaching to the converted here.

I’m sure people will come along soon with stats to say why we were actually exciting to watch but it wasn’t my experience of watching us last season.

There’s obviously a balance to be had, nobody wants to watch an attacking team finishing near the bottom of the league. Hopefully we’ve laid the foundations and we can now build on last season to play a more entertaining brand of football. Another season the same as last season will be considered a success to many people and I get why, it’s just not what I’m after.
    We are an attacking team and we try and pass the ball.

Won’t always work and there is an opposition on the park but that’s what we are trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    Why does winning a Derby define a season? He could win all four (or three!) and take us down. Is that progress?
    I can only speak for myself but winning derbies and trophies are creating memories you remember for a long time. We’re never going to win the league or much silverware so having special moments within a season are just what I enjoy.

I know you were exaggerating to make a point with the last bit but it’s missing the point. Nobody wants to see Hibs get relegated or near the bottom of the league but winning derbies.

We are a better team than hearts just now, we just want that to be reflected in matches against them. If we don’t then I don’t see what wrong with questioning why we’re not.

It would also be nice to see us punching above our weight and beating the old firm now and again, as much worse Hibs teams than this one has done a lot throughout my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We are an attacking team and we try and pass the ball.

Won’t always work and there is an opposition on the park but that’s what we are trying to do.
    Did you enjoy watching us last season? If you did then that’s great but I never.

I suppose that’s my point ultimately. Good end result but I didn’t enjoy how we got there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Newly promoted Hearts will make it a much tougher league will they? Pretty sure they will play all the other teams too, not just Hibs. I have no idea if they will be better than Hamilton, they were pretty crap the season before last though.
    Think we’ll finish above Hearts but I’m almost certain we’ll drop points to them which we didn’t against the team they are replacing. Games against Hearts will will be tougher than the games we had against Hamilton last season so tougher for us in that respect.

Left by mutual consent!
    I can only speak for myself but winning derbies and trophies are creating memories you remember for a long time. We’re never going to win the league or much silverware so having special moments within a season are just what I enjoy.

I know you were exaggerating to make a point with the last bit but it’s missing the point. Nobody wants to see Hibs get relegated or near the bottom of the league but winning derbies.

We are a better team than hearts just now, we just want that to be reflected in matches against them. If we don’t then I don’t see what wrong with questioning why we’re not.

It would also be nice to see us punching above our weight and beating the old firm now and again, as much worse Hibs teams than this one has done a lot throughout my lifetime.
    Agreed.

There was a time when we would take the game to the Old Firm at home and had a good record against them. Mowbray, Collins, Stubbs and Lennon. We also knew we were beating Hearts at home under Stubbs and Lennon.

Agreed.

There was a time when we would take the game to the Old Firm at home and had a good record against them. Mowbray, Collins, Stubbs and Lennon. We also knew we were beating Hearts at home under Stubbs and Lennon.
    Even Jim Duffy’s team beat Celtic.

Plenty people on here said they’d happily be bottom 6 as long as we beat Hearts.