hibs.net Messageboard

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Jack Ross

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Judging by the micro-analysis of every game to rake out some kind of negative I assume most people either weren't here during the **** years of 2010-14, or have repressed those memories entirely.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a lot of us can’t understand is why there is this seemingly relentless focus on JR to the point that it’s all about him.

His overall body of work is such that it’s clear he’s doing a great job.

Don’t recall managers like Lennon or Mowbray having fingers pointed at them in this way and they didn’t come too close to winning a cup at Hibs.

Looking back at our Hampden games last season - we should have beaten Hearts and had the first St Johnstone game wrapped up by half time. Can’t see how players missing penalties and open goals is down to his management to be honest.
    See last home Derby before Hearts were relegated and subsequent Semi Final v Hearts then Semi Final and Final v St Johnstone.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    See last home Derby before Hearts were relegated and subsequent Semi Final v Hearts then Semi Final and Final v St Johnstone.
    Scratched record. Can we maybe move on?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Judging by the micro-analysis of every game to rake out some kind of negative I assume most people either weren't here during the **** years of 2010-14, or have repressed those memories entirely.
    Ha! So true ..

there are those who explore negatives in an interesting way, and then there are those who simply thrive when creating a negative tone in these boards …

We have lost one game this season - in Europe when we went down to ten men..the league campaign is going well, and we are in the first semi final of the season ..yet you’d think by some of these threads we were fighting relegation …incredible really ..

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    We've moved on from these days thankfully.

It's only right that we apply higher standards than we did back then.

Otherwise we might as well just to say "each well, it's better than when Bertie Auld was manager, let's just enjoy things"!

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    What a lot of us can’t understand is why there is this seemingly relentless focus on JR to the point that it’s all about him.

His overall body of work is such that it’s clear he’s doing a great job.

Don’t recall managers like Lennon or Mowbray having fingers pointed at them in this way and they didn’t come too close to winning a cup at Hibs.

Looking back at our Hampden games last season - we should have beaten Hearts and had the first St Johnstone game wrapped up by half time. Can’t see how players missing penalties and open goals is down to his management to be honest.

I'm baffled too. Since he joined he's got the best win % outside the Old Firm, reached at least the semis of every domestic cup and led us to our highest league finish for 16 years in his first full season.

Compared to some of the dross we've witnessed over the last decade these are good times. Yet when games go against us (sometimes decided by the finer margins) people can't wait to stick the boot in. Bizarre.

I’d already commented on 2 of the games - we should have won them.

Like I say - Im more than happy with his overall body of work which is how I’ll judge him. If you think a a manger at Hibs can’t be deemed a success unless we’re winning silverware left and right then I disagree.

We’ve had a couple of bitter disappointments in the last couple of years - tough to take but nothing is tougher than watching us being dross every week in front of about 6000 fans. Glad that’s a distant memory.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It is a reasonable point though. If you get through some big games they then don’t count because the next one is bigger.

If you lose them they count as big games though. Unless we win trophies I suspect his winning of quarters and semis don’t really get credited too much.

Nah it’s not.

I think the Hibs fanbase and owner are generally united in the view that Hibs *should* be getting to domestic cup semi finals regularly.

This is not to dismiss last nights result - it’s great - but we were favourites to go through, no?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Nah it’s not.

I think the Hibs fanbase and owner are generally united in the view that Hibs *should* be getting to domestic cup semi finals regularly.

This is not to dismiss last nights result - it’s great - but we were favourites to go through, no?
    Would that be because Jack Ross has built a fine team?

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Nah it’s not.

Yeah we were and yes we think we should. But that’s not how football works is it. To get to the semis of 4 cup competitions in a row is brilliantly consistent.

We probably now take for granted our consistency in cup competitions. Last night meant we’ve reached the semis 12 times in 11 seasons. Been in 5 finals in the last 10 seasons. Outside of the Old Firm that is tremendous. Unfortunately that means we rightly expect more from being deeper in those competitions, and a 20% success rate in finals is pretty poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    We've moved on from these days thankfully.

It's only right that we apply higher standards than we did back then.

Otherwise we might as well just to say "each well, it's better than when Bertie Auld was manager, let's just enjoy things"!
    We should absolutely set a high standard, but we're second, unbeaten and in another semi final. Don't get it tbh.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

That *is* how I feel a lot of the time when watching Hibs when we're doing well. I like just enjoying it. I hope that's permitted.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I've been watching Hibs for 48 years now and really wish that 2010 to 2014 were our only really **** years!!! The last few years have been good, JR has us performing at a consistently high level since he cam in

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    We should absolutely set a high standard, but we're second, unbeaten and in another semi final. Don't get it tbh.
    Agreed, I'm loving it just now. Great times for us and I only see things getting better

If any support deserved a few years of consistent success it's us. I genuinely think we'll get that under Jack, Ben and Ron. The club will become the biggest it's ever been in my lifetime.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Seems like we are not allowed to enjoy significant wins like last night. They all aren't good enough when you have but what about these games we lost in the past. The past has gone enjoy the moment. What a way to run your life.

Agree try living through the 80s as a Hibee absolutely horrific.

First Team Breakthrough The Veteran's Avatar
    This is a good team, make no mistake about that. And the good news is that we’re only going to get better.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    A decade to forget. Auld, Stanton, Blackley and the early years of Miller.

We should enjoy what we are building, it doesn't happen that often.

To make it worse Aberdeen and Dundee United were going through their glory years and Hearts almost won the league. Definitely a decade to forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    To make it worse Aberdeen and Dundee United were going through their glory years and Hearts almost won the league. Definitely a decade to forget.
    Think we got to Hampden once in that decade so would suggest we maybe appreciate where we are at present a wee bit more.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Even then we managed to knock Rangers out of the League Cup at the semi final stage 2-0 at Easter Road and 0-1 away in the second leg

They don’t like it up em!

'S' Form
    Absolutely in no way taking JR, the current team, and the last couple seasons for granted in saying this. I do worry that sitting in defending tight leads the way we have done a few times now isn’t the best option, considering how dangerous we look when we go for teams. Admittedly I am yet another armchair manager, just wish JR and Hibs would look to break faster and push up more.

Left by mutual consent!
    Nah it’s not.

Fully agree. With the size of our club now expectations have increased not just plodding along happy go lucky.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by miy00015 View Post
    Absolutely in no way taking JR, the current team, and the last couple seasons for granted in saying this. I do worry that sitting in defending tight leads the way we have done a few times now isn’t the best option, considering how dangerous we look when we go for teams. Admittedly I am yet another armchair manager, just wish JR and Hibs would look to break faster and push up more.
    It happens to all teams at times - 3-0 at half time seldom delivers a 6-0 at full time.

Scott Allan talked after the game of Dundee Utd shooting down the slope with nothing to lose. They pushed full backs high up the pitch and they get momentum.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Fully agree. With the size of our club now expectations have increased not just plodding along happy go lucky.
    We were never plodding along happy go lucky, when we were pish we said we were pish, it's just now that we are decent, some folk cant bring themselves to say so.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by miy00015 View Post
    Easier said than done, it's difficult for a manager to get them pushed up during a match when it's happening. During a match a defence can just sit naturally deeper and all of a sudden the dynamic of the match has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We were never plodding along happy go lucky, when we were pish we said we were pish, it's just now that we are decent, some folk cant bring themselves to say so.
    To be fair, if I held the belief that we'll somehow beat Hearts 4-0 before every single derby I'd probably be disappointed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    If any support deserved a few years of consistent success it's us. I genuinely think we'll get that under Jack, Ben and Ron. The club will become the biggest it's ever been in my lifetime.
    I’m not sure why we deserve success more than any other team?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Scratched record. Can we maybe move on?
    Now, that is the question. Another Semi Final for Jack Ross, another shot at glory. Can he deliver this time?

42 years since losing to Rangers at Hampden and generally a good record in Semi Finals against them.