hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Excellent on the live stream on Sunday night ( veeps ).

2. Log in to remove the advert

No Dylan fans on here?

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No Dylan fans on here?
    Missed it :-(

Left by mutual consent!
    Massive Dylan fan, genius songwriter/wordsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Missed it :-(
    You can catch some of the songs on YouTube.

No Dylan fans on here?
    I have a lot of respect for him and know he inspired/was admired by a lot of my favourites, and he's clearly one of the all time great writers.

But for whatever reason I've just never got fully into his music like I have others and not a huge lover of his voice.

That probably sounds more negative than I intended. It may well be that his time will come with me, but for now I just listen to a handful of his songs from time to time. He's probably the solo equivalent to the Beatles for me (who I have never been a lover of given their popularity, but enjoy a few songs on the occasion).

The whole stream is now on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I have a lot of respect for him and know he inspired/was admired by a lot of my favourites, and he's clearly one of the all time great writers.

But for whatever reason I've just never got fully into his music like I have others and not a huge lover of his voice.

That probably sounds more negative than I intended. It may well be that his time will come with me, but for now I just listen to a handful of his songs from time to time. He's probably the solo equivalent to the Beatles for me (who I have never been a lover of given their popularity, but enjoy a few songs on the occasion).
    Bob could be considered an acquired taste but once you know what he is about and what he represents you could spend a lifetime intrigued by what he does.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    It's fair to say that he's not got the best voice but he's produced some brilliant stuff.

As an aside, I have colleagues who organised one of the biggest festivals in France and Dylan is apparently by far the biggest tosspot they've had to deal with (and there's been a few).

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It's fair to say that he's not got the best voice but he's produced some brilliant stuff.

As an aside, I have colleagues who organised one of the biggest festivals in France and Dylan is apparently by far the biggest tosspot they've had to deal with (and there's been a few).
    If you hear Dylan as a black blues vocalist his voice might be easier to appreciate, his phrasing is second to none, regards the second point we can all be tosspots depends on the circumstances.

@hibs.net private member
    If you hear Dylan as a black blues vocalist his voice might be easier to appreciate, his phrasing is second to none, regards the second point we can all be tosspots depends on the circumstances.
    Some more so than others though. I also heard he was a prick from someone that worked with him and also cilla ha. Hero of mine too , no not her from blind date

Left by mutual consent!
    Van Morrison..prick
    Chuck Berry..prick

Bob could be considered an acquired taste but once you know what he is about and what he represents you could spend a lifetime intrigued by what he does.
    I know enough about his music and what he represents (I reckon) hence my appreciation and respect for his work and the influence he’s had on musicians that I do love. Just not a total lover of his music yet.. again a bit like the Beatles.

I like listening to his Billy the Kid soundtrack stuff more than anything else of his really!

“Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.“ 😁

@hibs.net private member
    I know enough about his music and what he represents (I reckon) hence my appreciation and respect for his work and the influence he’s had on musicians that I do love. Just not a total lover of his music yet.. again a bit like the Beatles.

I like listening to his Billy the Kid soundtrack stuff more than anything else of his really!

“Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.“ 😁
    The beatles...ridiculous. George Harrison alone was better than 95% of artists and he was 5% of the beatles

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    The beatles...ridiculous. George Harrison alone was better than 95% of artists and he was 5% of the beatles
    It’s not ridiculous at all.. I’m not a lover of the Beatles. I just think they’re alright. 😁

They’re not even remotely close to being a patch on the stones.

I’d say your Harrison claim is ridiculous.. were there 20 members of the Beatles 🤔

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

Good old Steve 😍

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    If he'd ditched the moothie, he would be 100% better

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Good old Steve 😍
    Even if he feels daft for saying it now - I couldn’t turn down the chance to use the quote 😎

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Even if he feels daft for saying it now - I couldn’t turn down the chance to use the quote 😎

@hibs.net private member
    It’s not ridiculous at all.. I’m not a lover of the Beatles. I just think they’re alright. 😁

They’re not even remotely close to being a patch on the stones.

I’d say your Harrison claim is ridiculous.. were there 20 members of the Beatles 🤔
    5% roughly of the output, although it was mostly exceptional. Beatles had a broad range from blues to psychedelic to early punk like helter-skelter. Just phenomenal, everything is subjective but it's like saying Messi is ****

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Definitely an album artist. A good portion of his best work you won’t find on any greatest hits compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Definitely an album artist. A good portion of his best work you won’t find on any greatest hits compilation.
    And bootlegs.