2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Played basketball in school and hockey.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member
    Running.

Left by mutual consent!
    Rugby, way more than football.

If darts, pool and snooker count I played all to a reasonable level. Then my eyes went! 😲
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 11-07-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Rugby and basketball

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I was into athletics in a big way, trained with various top british athletes, competed in different countries, my coach was one of the very few scottish athletes to win an olympic medal on the track

Got square feet so never played much football. Last time was in the 90s for a Tartan Army XI against a team from Tallinn. 1-1 at half-time, we were beaten 4-1 as it was too hot for most of our team.

Played rugby until I was 58 (a few years ago now), had my hip done a year later and recently bought myself a new pair of boots and am back playing touch rugby now. Great fun! Have also run all my life, marathons (in the 80s), half-marathons, 10Ks, hill races although now it's just to burn off beer.

Still no 'Xs' in my t-shirt size!

Played table tennis at work on night shifts.Never played for a club but did play in a couple of tournaments when on holidays and won one. Quite a few of the guys played for clubs in their own countries too so honing my skills when I should have been working obviously paid off.

Used to be golf. Now it's running.

I'm better at the latter than the former.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Played a lot of sports Judo, badminton bit of squash still play golf but never to a great level in any of them.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Rugby. Played for Heriots, Leith and Scottish Life.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I used to play a lot of tennis with my mates, either at Craiglockhart but mostly for free at Paties Road. My service was always either unstoppable or unfindable.

Also played indoor hockey for a few years with my pal's workmates - it was mixed and was as much a social thing as anything else.

I did play a lot of football and wasn't a bad goalie (probably because of my height) but I preferred playing inside right or on the right wing where I was mediocre at best.

I've always been better at music.

I was surprisingly good at Badminton.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I played rugby from the age of 12 up to the age of 50. Hundreds of games, would have been more but for Hibs. Did gymnastics, badminton, athletics all at school. Played golf, tennis. Also used to play cricket every summer. I have excelled at being average at every sport I have tried. Although average would be an over exaggeration for my golf

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    100m at school, I was pretty decent. School hockey team for a month which went well until training got changed to 3pm on Saturday.

Hopeless at all racquet sports and golf.

Cross country running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    I was a great swimmer when younger. Fast as anything and at one time I'd never be out of one pool or another. Tennis was another sport I'd often play on a nice summers day. Nowadays, I'm more likely to be out on the golf course.

@hibs.net private member
    Netball when still at school. Played for Edinburgh Schools Select.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Bowls, have played for 40 years since I was 13.

I played squash regularly until my back packed in a few years ago. Have dabbled in tennis and badminton too.

Non-competitive, I ski and climb mountains.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Probably golf or baseball.

Played baseball at AAA level in the British league (BBF) and played for a few years when I was stateside. I used to actually be pretty decent at golf, but moving down South (where I simply couldn't afford to play anywhere) followed by the arrival of a young family mean I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 games a year now.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

As well as the golf and running I mentioned earlier I also boxed a bit at uni. Had 7 amateur fights and won 6 of them.

A shoulder injury picked up playing football put paid to that though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was into athletics in a big way, trained with various top british athletes, competed in different countries, my coach was one of the very few scottish athletes to win an olympic medal on the track

Out of interest do you know what sort of pathway primary school aged kids today might take if they were interested in athletics? One of my kids and a couple of pals really enjoy it and would like more than the rather cursory sessions they get at school but it's hard to find something suitable.

On a slight tangent but does anyone actually prefer other sports to football? By that I mean watching as well as playing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    On a slight tangent but does anyone actually prefer other sports to football? By that I mean watching as well as playing.
    Definitely! Apart from Hibs I couldn't care less about football. Rugby for me, real men, not screaming, overpaid, pansy, cheats.

Edit..the more I think about it, any sport that doesn't encourage screaming, overpaid, pansy cheats is a much more enjoyable watch.
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 14-07-2021 at 04:19 AM.

Definitely.

The Euros is the 1st non Hibs football I have really enjoyed in ages. Generally speaking I much prefer watching NFL, horse racing and athletics to football.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Football fell off the top spot a long time ago for me (though I've been absolutely glued to the Euros!).

Rugby and/or NFL probably occupy top spot.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Definitely.

The Euros is the 1st non Hibs football I have really enjoyed in ages. Generally speaking I much prefer watching NFL, horse racing and athletics to football.
    Pretty much sums it up for me too. I'm unquestionably more of a Hibs fan than a football fan, though like you I did enjoy the Euros. Apart from that I couldn't actually tell you when I last watched a non-Hibs match (I don't even watch Match of the Day or Sportscene these days).

I love the Olympics (although not so up for them this year) and largely enjoy watching sports where it doesn't bother me too much who wins (ie you can appreciate the skills of the competitors more than you can when you're willing Hibs on at all costs). Andy Murray probably tops any Hibs player as my top sportsman. Also loved going to baseball matches when I've spent time in the States.
    Last edited by He's here!; 14-07-2021 at 02:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Rugby. Played for Heriots, Leith and Scottish Life.
    The names Blair Stewart, Mole & Poser pop into my head with two of the three teams at that age

In terms of sport I suppose it would have been golf till I moved to Ireland then found it too expensive & less craic (just started again last year)..The open water swimming & trail running since I moved here..All just for fun & fitness nothing taken that seriously these days