hibs.net Messageboard

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
Results 1,081 to 1,105 of 1105

Thread: Hibs v Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I cheered and joined in the chants but kept my mask on.

It was actually OK and helped the atmosphere

In general, people were quite sensible and I think you'll be OK
    Is the rule keep your mask on throughout the game or only when you leave your seat?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ hibs View Post
    Is the rule keep your mask on throughout the game or only when you leave your seat?
    The full game, although many didn’t as the game wore on

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    I wore my mask all game.

respect

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    The full game, although many didn’t as the game wore on
    Thanks. Glad mask restrictions are continuing for lots of places but for stadiums and for the 10 seconds before you sit down and remove it in a cafe/pub seems a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    I think what we're getting it is they are no longer in the same category as runaways Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea.

That lot ARE a class above Arsenal.

Sorry, but guys like Lacazette are decent, but they aren't EPL league winning standard. Not even close.

Hibs, like Arsenal, have good history. History doesn't win you anything though.
    On the pitch. Although you'd think Arsenal have been rubbish for years the way you are speaking. Not really been the case. Finished above all those sides you've mentioned in the last 4/5 years. Certainly not some cut and dry thing. They've won more than United in the last 6/7 years as well.

They're not a great team, but undoubtedly a huge club. Much more successful than City or Chelsea. Arsenal beat Chelsea twice, and took 4 points off United last season. Suggests they're not really a class behind on their day.

Let's not compare Hibs and Arsenal history. They're actually in a different class to us.

Although we still beat them

Wouldn't fancy sitting with a mask on for 2 hours at ER if it's as hot as today. I suppose it's very few and far between we get weather like this.

N
    The earner of the most famous penalty at Easter Road.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    My good friend is a lifelong gooner, was disenchanted towards the end of Wengers reign and recently said to me they are only going to go backwards for the foreseeable future as they only really get to sign to players who are below the current top teams radar.

He believes the last two owners have taken out more than they've put in and until Kronke moves on they will struggle to get top 4.

He thinks the FA cup has become more important to Arsenal than the rest of the bigger teams.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    I see Arsenal are being linked with Tammy Abraham. And Chelsea have had a big rejected for Halland.

That’s why they won’t close the gap imo. Infact, they’ll keep falling further and further behind.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I see Arsenal are being linked with Tammy Abraham. And Chelsea have had a big rejected for Halland.

That’s why they won’t close the gap imo. Infact, they’ll keep falling further and further behind.
    If that comes off it kind of supports the point I guess, I'm not a fan of EPL or the unsavoury characters associated with it, who knows who is next to close the gap? Brentford?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Do you actually think either of those transfers will happen? Cant see it at all.

3 years ago, Arsenal signed a top class striker from Dortmund and binned their 2nd choice off to Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Do you actually think either of those transfers will happen? Cant see it at all.

3 years ago, Arsenal signed a top class striker from Dortmund and binned their 2nd choice off to Chelsea.
    The second choice striker Arsenal got rid of has went on to achieve a lot more, since then, than the world class replacement they brought in.

Big chance Halland ends up at Chelsea IMO. Their owner is one of the very few who will put his hand in his pocket and pay the money required.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    The second choice striker Arsenal got rid of has went on to achieve a lot more, since then, than the world class replacement they brought in.

Big chance Halland ends up at Chelsea IMO. Their owner is one of the very few who will put his hand in his pocket and pay the money required.
    He achived it because of the quality of the teams and manager. Chelsea are no doubt a better squad. Aubameyang has scored more than double his goals in that time, including 2 against Chelsea in the FA cup final.

Dortmund have said they aren't selling him this summer. Take that as you will, but I don't think he'll move this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

I'd be surprised if Halland goes to Chelsea. He's the most sought after player in the world along with Mbabbe.

He's a stick on for Real IMO.

I’m not sure either will happen but it’s a pretty clear indication as to the markets they’re in.

I actually like Arsenal. They’re probably my favourite English team but they’re more best of the rest than one of the best nowadays and I know that won’t change anytime soon.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 15-07-2021 at 08:29 PM.

On the pitch. Although you'd think Arsenal have been rubbish for years the way you are speaking. Not really been the case. Finished above all those sides you've mentioned in the last 4/5 years. Certainly not some cut and dry thing. They've won more than United in the last 6/7 years as well.

They're not a great team, but undoubtedly a huge club. Much more successful than City or Chelsea. Arsenal beat Chelsea twice, and took 4 points off United last season. Suggests they're not really a class behind on their day.

Let's not compare Hibs and Arsenal history. They're actually in a different class to us.

Although we still beat them
    Whilst I prefer fans to show respect to other clubs (when that respect has been in some way or other earned) I agree with you about Arsenal’s standing in the game. They have a great history, a massive fan base and have still been “sort of achieving” in spite of being far from their best in recent years.

I get quite pissed off at the respect shown to Scottish football by fans of no-mark clubs down South who know f all about football and f all about anything other than the money bloated Premier League era.

Arsenal are a top club from a top league, maybe only lacking a bit of concrete European achievement. It’s a bit easier to take a bit of disrespect from their morons than from twats who support Bournemouth etc and got into football 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Smartie; 15-07-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Now they recon we have given them their second worst defeat under Arteta. Only the 0-3 by Villa is ranked worse.

Arsenal
    Arsenal's worst defeats under Mikel Arteta (so far) - ranked
    Ross Jackson
    By Ross Jackson

2. Hibernian 2-1 Arsenal (July 2021)

"Don't be fooled into thinking Arteta fielded a weakened team against Hibs or that he was purely looking to give players a runout. The Spaniard even said after the game a number of the decisions he made with his starting XI were tactical and he played a very strong team.

Eddie Nketiah missed an absolute sitter early on before Arsenal goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo made a clown of himself by looking like a drunk who'd found a football outside a pub as he tried to hack a clearance clear, allowing Martin Boyle to tap into an empty net.

Arteta threw more of his big-name players on in the second half but their plight only got worse as more abject defending allowed Daniel MacKay to head home at the back post to make it 2-0 to the home side.

Emile Smith Rowe grabbed a late consolation but it proved to be an embarrassing evening for Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    My good friend is a lifelong gooner, was disenchanted towards the end of Wengers reign and recently said to me they are only going to go backwards for the foreseeable future as they only really get to sign to players who are below the current top teams radar.

He believes the last two owners have taken out more than they've put in and until Kronke moves on they will struggle to get top 4.

He thinks the FA cup has become more important to Arsenal than the rest of the bigger teams.

But that’s OK. Only around seven or eight teams in the world, all in Europe, are in the market for the worlds best players. Arsenal aren’t one of them. Neither are a load of massive clubs with massive supports. It’s just something individual fans need to accept.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    But that’s OK. Only around seven or eight teams in the world, all in Europe, are in the market for the worlds best players. Arsenal aren’t one of them. Neither are a load of massive clubs with massive supports. It’s just something individual fans need to accept.
    Yep, I know which leagues and version of football I'd rather watch

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

I had the immense pleasure of having a beer with Johnny MacLeod before the game on Tuesday. Up from London, he came into the Iona with his son - I nearly fell off my chair. What a star, what a gentleman. The Barcelona game is second only to 2016 in my list of most memorable games. Without Johnny, it's possible it wouldn't have ranked in the top 10.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    If there are any lurkers around who may be wondering why Scottish supporters want England to fail at every turn the aftermath of this game is a good illustration.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Pepe and Partey are fair enough. Other than that though, spending £20 odd million puts you on a par with the mid table teams in the Premiership. McBurnie was £25m. Chelsea spent £220m or something and signed Thiago Silva on a free on top of that last season alone.

If they don’t spend more then they won’t get the talent they require to close the gap. They need more players in the Pepe price range and they need those players to work out a lot better than Pepe has.

Whilst it’s not all about spending money at our level, at that level it pretty much is. It’s the only way you’re getting world class players who are ready to compete at the very top. If you don’t spend it then you won’t be competing.
    My point was they have spent plenty even for the league they are in. More than everyone in England bar 3 clubs in the past 5 years. But still fans and media trot out the 'don't spend enough' excuse. It's not the spending, its the management and the players they are spending the money on that is the problem for them on the park.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Arsenal agree £50m fee with Brighton for Ben White, he was very good at Leeds for a season-long loan, not sure he's worth that amount of money though

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    My point was they have spent plenty even for the league they are in. More than everyone in England bar 3 clubs in the past 5 years. But still fans and media trot out the 'don't spend enough' excuse. It's not the spending, its the management and the players they are spending the money on that is the problem for them on the park.
    That’s fair. If they’ve spent more than everyone bar 3 then it would look like it’s been spent on far too many players and also the wrong players.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Arsenal agree £50m fee with Brighton for Ben White, he was very good at Leeds for a season-long loan, not sure he's worth that amount of money though
    Just another player a level down from what the top teams in England would be interested in.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Just another player a level down from what the top teams in England would be interested in.
    Tend to agree not really sure what position he plays centre back mostly. Personally thought Dunk and Webster were better defenders last season. Good athlete probably could play right back or centre defensive midfield also. Seems overpriced and Brighton will be delighted he got called into the England squad recently