hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Wimbledon

Not looking great but it's good to see the big Scots unit back in something like healthy shape.

You just never know.

2. Log in to remove the advert

5-1 Shapovalov, Murray had to win that game.

Roof being closed at the end of this set, can that help Murray again?

Shapovalov goes two sets up.

Long way back but maybe the roof being closed can help Murray.

The roof's not helping this time, Shapovalov breaks at the start of the third set.

All over I think.

Shapovalov wins 6-4 6-2 6-2.

Very comfortable win in the end.

That's that then.

Think we may have just seen a future grand slam winner in action.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Goodnight sweet prince -

And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's that then.

Yep, finally somebody who looks like they might be the real deal. It's crazy how long the old guard have gone almost unchallenged.

Shapovalov's the one who hit the umpire in the eye with a bad tempered whack of the ball a few years back isn't he? Looks to have matured a great deal since then and has become a very impressive player.

I thought Murray did well to get through most of the first week and gave us a couple of great matches. That's about as much as he could realistically expect, but he's so uncompromising that nothing but a return to his best form is likely to satisfy him - and sadly that would seem an impossible ask. There are plenty of journeymen players who have been around a long time making a living out of the game, but having hit the extraordinary heights he did you just can't see Murray hanging around if he comes to the conclusion his body just isn't up to doing what his mind tells it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Yep, finally somebody who looks like they might be the real deal. It's crazy how long the old guard have gone almost unchallenged.

Shapovalov's the one who hit the umpire in the eye with a bad tempered whack of the ball a few years back isn't he? Looks to have matured a great deal since then and has become a very impressive player.

I thought Murray did well to get through most of the first week and gave us a couple of great matches. That's about as much as he could realistically expect, but he's so uncompromising that nothing but a return to his best form is likely to satisfy him - and sadly that would seem an impossible ask. There are plenty of journeymen players who have been around a long time making a living out of the game, but having hit the extraordinary heights he did you just can't see Murray hanging around if he comes to the conclusion his body just isn't up to doing what his mind tells it any more.
    He is indeed.

Great win for Emma Raducanu, into the last 16 against a tough opponent Sorana Cirstea.

18 years old!

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Great win for Emma Raducanu, into the last 16 against a tough opponent Sorana Cirstea.

18 years old!
    Great game of tennis! Some outrageous shots from the 18 year old!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Great game of tennis! Some outrageous shots from the 18 year old!
    She's very talented, I'd never heard of her prior to last week but she's done so well so far.

She's very talented, I'd never heard of her prior to last week but she's done so well so far.
    Every chance of going even further if she keeps that level of play up. Fingers crossed.

Got a feeling Norrie could give Federer a decent match.

I'm conflicted here, on one hand I'd love to see Norrie progress but I'm a huge Federer fan and seeing him win Wimbledon at nearly 40 years old would be incredible.

She had never won a WTA match until this week. Incredible! Think she had made around £30k in prize money until now, she’s won something like £200k this week alone.

First set Federer 6-4.

Nice touch from Norrie handing a towel to a wee boy he accidentally hit with a serve.

Norrie takes the third set!

Federer leads two sets to one.

I'm conflicted here, on one hand I'd love to see Norrie progress but I'm a huge Federer fan and seeing him win Wimbledon at nearly 40 years old would be incredible.
    Norrie played well. If he could have taken it to a fifth I'd have fancied him to spring a major shock. But yes I'd love to see Federer win another slam too. He used to annoy me when he was beating Andy Murray in finals but I've come to have massive respect for him and it was devastating to see him miss those match points against Djokovic a couple of years ago. Bit like when Tom Watson had the Open in his grasp aged 59.

Unless Djokivic malfunctions in some way it's hard to imagine him not maintaining his machine-like progression to the title I'm afraid.

Norrie played well. If he could have taken it to a fifth I'd have fancied him to spring a major shock. But yes I'd love to see Federer win another slam too. He used to annoy me when he was beating Andy Murray in finals but I've come to have massive respect for him and it was devastating to see him miss those match points against Djokovic a couple of years ago. Bit like when Tom Watson had the Open in his grasp aged 59.

Unless Djokivic malfunctions in some way it's hard to imagine him not maintaining his machine-like progression to the title I'm afraid.
    Agreed I can't see past Djokovic either but if Federer could do it, it would surely be one of the greatest ever stories in sport.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    There's no way anyone is beating Djokovic in men's draw. Unless there's someone else who develops abnormal levels of fitness after discovering they have a 'celiac allergy'

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    There's no way anyone is beating Djokovic in men's draw. Unless there's someone else who develops abnormal levels of fitness after discovering they have a 'celiac allergy'
    Correct , Title 20 for ND incoming

No far away from the GOAT

I can’t see past him either. He has the easier side of the draw. I reckon he will play Shapovalov in the semi
    Bottom half of draw is more wide open I think. Admire Federer greatly but think he may fall short, hope I’m wrong. . I will predict a Berrettini v Hurkacz semi final.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Correct , Title 20 for ND incoming

No far away from the GOAT
    He's already the GOAT , he has a winning record against the other 2 goats . The only thing he can't beat those 2 at is the popularity contest . On the court hes peerless

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    He's already the GOAT , he has a winning record against the other 2 goats . The only thing he can't beat those 2 at is the popularity contest . On the court hes peerless
    That's because he's a complete and utter tool.

Federer and Nadal are still ahead of him in the GOAT race in terms of slams won but Djokovic could win another 20 and most folk would still regard the other two (particularly Federer) as the greatest.

Federer and Nadal are still ahead of him in the GOAT race in terms of slams won but Djokovic could win another 20 and most folk would still regard the other two (particularly Federer) as the greatest.
    They could if they want but most folk would be completely wrong in that scenario. I say that as a vey big Nadal fan.

Of course if anyone wins 20 more slams than any of the above they would obviously and rightly be consisted the greatest player by almost any tennis fan. I’m sure you know that yourself and were just exaggerating slightly.

Federer is the GOAT in my opinion, outstanding tennis player and great ambassador for the sport.

To still be amongst the world's top players at 40 is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    That's that then.

Possibly PB, but I’m not sure. He’s been a likely player for a few years now but is still behind Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev and Tsitsipas to name a few (as well as a few upcoming young players now). Not to say he can’t win a slam, but he’s no new kid on the block (admittedly 22 is younger than I thought he was) and I fully expected him to put Murray away based on Andy’s first couple games 👍

Although I think the slightly more conservative haircut makes him look more of a player now 😁