hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Wimbledon

5 games in a row for Basilashvili.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Would be the most Scottish thing ever for Murray to lose this match. His opponent just isn't making mistakes now

This is agony. And I fear Andy's not moving too freely.

It was magical until 20 mins ago. Like old times.

If only he had an Ivanisovic first serve Andy would have won more titles. It constantly lets him down.

Third set Basilashvili 7-5, 7 games in a row.

It's hard to see Murray recovering from here to be honest - hopefully I'm wrong.

Roof being closed - resuming in 10 minutes.

Right here we go, come on Andy!

Murray wins the opening game of set 4.

Basilashvili breaks straight back!

Murray breaks again!

Murray leads 2-1 4th set.

Even at this age with a metal hip Murray is still box office . Always has you on the edge of your seat .

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    He needs to control his emotions a lot better. All the shouting and gesturing after a bad shot just gives his opponent a little lift.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He needs to control his emotions a lot better. All the shouting and gesturing after a bad shot just gives his opponent a little lift.
    He's done that his whole career, I don't see him changing now.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    He's done that his whole career, I don't see him changing now.
    He controlled it a bit better under Ivan Lendl and had the most successful time of his career. Think he needs someone who doesn’t take on anything off the court.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Never in doubt!

Murray wins 6-4 6-3 5-7 6-3.

So much admiration for this guy.

He plays Oscar Otte or Arthur Rinderknech in round two, which I'd suggest is a very favourable draw. They're 9-9 in the final set and they will return tomorrow.

Great interview at the end there too.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Great interview at the end there too.
    I'll need to watch it turned it onto the football as soon as he won.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Brilliant! He doesnae half get you nervous!! What an athlete and tennis player. Scotland's and arguably maybe even Britain's greatest ever sportsman

Thank god he got through. He'll be suffering after that though.

I'll need to watch it turned it onto the football as soon as he won.
    Great interview.

Went to the toilet...just a number one though. 😂😂

@hibs.net private member
    That was a superb watch. Very emotional. I'm a football fanatic, but had France game on mute on the telly in the kitchen while watching Andy's 4th set on the mobile.
    Love sport. Wife thinks I'm mad. I probably am.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Brilliant! He doesnae half get you nervous!! What an athlete and tennis player. Scotland's and arguably maybe even Britain's greatest ever sportsman
    He has to be , he's had to go through 3 of the best ever players to win what he has in singles . He carried the team through the Davis cup with a bit of help from.his brother . The 2 gold medals , the year end No1 after beating Djokovic at the tour finals . 1st elite male player to hire a female coach . He really has had a massive impact on the sport globally , not just in the UK

Never in doubt!

Murray wins 6-4 6-3 5-7 6-3.

So much admiration for this guy.

He plays Oscar Otte or Arthur Rinderknech in round two, which I'd suggest is a very favourable draw. They're 9-9 in the final set and they will return tomorrow.
    I had to switch the telly off for a wee bit after he lost that third set. I love the guy and couldn't bear to watch what was happening to him. However, I knew that even a depleted Andy Murray can never be written off and when I saw they were getting a break for the roof coming on I had a feeling he'd compose himself.

I don't think even somebody with the determination of Andy Murray can overcome the injuries/operations he's been through and get back to anywhere near where he once was but watching him tonight you understand why he could never just compromise and perhaps see out his career on the doubles circuit. The guy is guts personified and remains brilliant box office.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    If only he had an Ivanisovic first serve Andy would have won more titles. It constantly lets him down.
    It's his second serve that's almost always been his one genuine weak point. He picked up the pace on it under (I think) Lendl for a while but more often than not it's simply not been bold enough.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    It's his second serve that's almost always been his one genuine weak point. He picked up the pace on it under (I think) Lendl for a while but more often than not it's simply not been bold enough.
    Yep but on the upside the best return of serve in the last 20 years plus and as McEnroe said the best backhand lob ever in tennis

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Yep but on the upside the best return of serve in the last 20 years plus and as McEnroe said the best backhand lob ever in tennis
    Perhaps best illustrated with the shot that won the Davis Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZScPRvzQwRo

You're right, he's got a wonderfully inventive game and plays tennis with a free-flowing spirit that's always been great to watch. Part of the reason I can't stand seeing Djokovic suck the life out of tennis with his automaton approach.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    He's certainly up there as one of the greatest British athletes of all time.

You're right, he's got a wonderfully inventive game and plays tennis with a free-flowing spirit that's always been great to watch. Part of the reason I can't stand seeing Djokovic suck the life out of tennis with his automaton approach.
    His creative talent is very under-rated. I don't think you appreciate the variation in his shots until you see him play live and he's a fantastic watch. Djokovic is machine like with his accuracy and endurance but can actually be a bit boring.

We all know that the big 3 of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have been slightly ahead of him most of the time but he's done incredibly well to achieve the many things he has in their era. 3 Grand Slams, 2 Olympic golds, a Davis Cup, World No 1 ranking and a good bit more is an amazing career at any time.

@hibs.net private member

Cheers for that happy memories