hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBean View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think I've found it - based on this access list the SC Winner would go into PO of Europa League and be guaranteed UECL Group stage, real incentive to finish 3rd (at least) this season should one of the top 2 win the SC.

2022-23-uefa-access-list.pdf (kassiesa.net)
    That’s what we all thought last season until it all changed at the last minute.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Think I've found it - based on this access list the SC Winner would go into PO of Europa League and be guaranteed UECL Group stage, real incentive to finish 3rd (at least) this season should one of the top 2 win the SC.

That’s based on us being 11th, sure we are going to be higher than this, as we are guaranteed a champions league group spot.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    That’s based on us being 11th, sure we are going to be higher than this, as we are guaranteed a champions league group spot.
    Yeah we're currently 9th on the table, but I'm sure that doesn't take affect until next season's winners. (it's usually a season behind I believe - there will be others who know more than I do who can confirm).

Looking at WIKI (and I know it's not always 100% reliable), the champions this year only go into the playoff round.
    2021–22 Scottish Premiership - WikipediaCapture.jpg
    Hibernian Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    We are 11th for next year. Entry places are based on a 1 year lag.

@hibs.net private member

Same as this year but blew it against St Johnstone no? Or did it change.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rhoades View Post
    Same as this year but blew it against St Johnstone no? Or did it change.
    It changed late in the season. Or more accurately, UEFA didn't reassign spare places in the way that they had in the past, so the normally accurate prediction of qualifying places (the Bert Kassies site etc) turned out to be wrong. That's why St Johnstone went into EL Q3 and not the play-off round.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    That’s what we all thought last season until it all changed at the last minute.
    that happening was a one-off due to the gap created from there being no conference league winner.

Nothing like that will happen this year, the Europa league place for the 2022 scottish cup winner will 100% go straight into the Europa league play-offs.

So, not a great week for the coefficient, 3 losses, and only 2 wins, but we still have 4 teams in the competitions, with 2 guaranteed group play.
    The good news is we've overtaken Russia, and sit in 8th place. Plus Russia have had 2 teams knocked out. We've pulled further away from Austria...St Johnstone taking something from their tie against LASK Linz is vital.
    Our biggest threat appears to be Belgium...who still have 5 teams left.Serbia have gained some ground, but have had 2 teams knocked out.
    Also there are ECL group qualifying points still to be awarded to the teams who win the last Play-off round---Brondby knocking off RB Salzburg would be a big help.

Looking all the way down the list, the countries at the bottom are picking up more points than ever, which will help us, as long as we're not helping them.
    In 2017-18, the bottom 10 teams picked up only 8.7 pts, but its been steadily rising, and so far they have picked up 16.8, with 5 teams still competing. Throw in Kosovo who are steadily climbing up the table, and will likely hit the top 25 in a couple of years.

In our last 3 very good years, we averaged 8.33 pts, so far only on 1.7, so a lot of work to do, but bettering the 4 we will lose next year is the prime target

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    So, not a great week for the coefficient, 3 losses, and only 2 wins, but we still have 4 teams in the competitions, with 2 guaranteed group play.
    The good news is we've overtaken Russia, and sit in 8th place. Plus Russia have had 2 teams knocked out. We've pulled further away from Austria...St Johnstone taking something from their tie against LASK Linz is vital.
    Our biggest threat appears to be Belgium...who still have 5 teams left.Serbia have gained some ground, but have had 2 teams knocked out.
    Also there are ECL group qualifying points still to be awarded to the teams who win the last Play-off round---Brondby knocking off RB Salzburg would be a big help.

Looking all the way down the list, the countries at the bottom are picking up more points than ever, which will help us, as long as we're not helping them.
    In 2017-18, the bottom 10 teams picked up only 8.7 pts, but its been steadily rising, and so far they have picked up 16.8, with 5 teams still competing. Throw in Kosovo who are steadily climbing up the table, and will likely hit the top 25 in a couple of years.

In our last 3 very good years, we averaged 8.33 pts, so far only on 1.7, so a lot of work to do, but bettering the 4 we will lose next year is the prime target
    Brave man! Some angry Hibees about so decided to let the dust settle.
    I did notice Scotland overtake Russia and move into our glass ceiling position of 8th where I can see us sticking for some considerable time.

I haven't assessed their next opposition but a good chance that St J & Aberdeen will join us on the sidelines leaving the weegies to bring back the points.
    Hibs will improve and do better in Europe next season if they can continue to bring in the quality of player they have been. The Ross rebuild will be complete in a years time. All his team at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Brave man! Some angry Hibees about so decided to let the dust settle.
    I did notice Scotland overtake Russia and move into our glass ceiling position of 8th where I can see us sticking for some considerable time.

I haven't assessed their next opposition but a good chance that St J & Aberdeen will join us on the sidelines leaving the weegies to bring back the points.
    Hibs will improve and do better in Europe next season if they can continue to bring in the quality of player they have been. The Ross rebuild will be complete in a years time. All his team at that point.
    Correct, and the table looks even better starting next year...we're 8 points ahead of the Russkies, Belgium are our nearest competitors,and they're 3.6 points behind. Its all about holding our own, 7-8 points a year, dont lose to the minnows, yet see them take points off other countries in the teens, and unfortunately watch the top 6 steamroller everybody

Correct, and the table looks even better starting next year...we're 8 points ahead of the Russkies, Belgium are our nearest competitors,and they're 3.6 points behind. Its all about holding our own, 7-8 points a year, dont lose to the minnows, yet see them take points off other countries in the teens, and unfortunately watch the top 6 steamroller everybody
    Holland, Belgium and Scotland all lose their last low score next summer which will solidify Holland and Scotland in 7th and 8th and Belgium climb up from 13th to 9th as the 1st European ball is kicked in the 2022/23 season.
    Meanwhile Russia will be plummeting down the table from 9th to 15th.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 13-08-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Now thst we have 5 teams rather than 4, we will stop scoring 8 points a year, be 6 at most, eventually we might lose the 5th team for a year, get another 8 pointer, get it back etc. That's what the system is designed to do. Have a few yo yo countries that change from 4 to 5 countries regularly. That's where Scotland is realistically in the long term

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Now thst we have 5 teams rather than 4, we will stop scoring 8 points a year, be 6 at most, eventually we might lose the 5th team for a year, get another 8 pointer, get it back etc. That's what the system is designed to do. Have a few yo yo countries that change from 4 to 5 countries regularly. That's where Scotland is realistically in the long term
    Can't see Scotland dropping out of the top 15 unless something goes badly wrong ala Rangers demotion.
    We probably need a constant 7.5 points a season to ensure we remain in the top 10.
    With 5 teams a win is now worth 0.1 point less and a draw 0.05 point once the preliminaries are over, so perhaps the Old Firm return will be down by a point per season which should be picked up by the other Scottish teams. Hibs contributed 0.5 of a point before we lost on Thursday. Aberdeen have already contributed 0.6 point and St J. 0.1 point so 1.2 points from the non weegie teams to date.
    FWIW I think Hibs will be better next season with the Lennon/Hecky to Ross rebuild complete and will almost certainly make the conference play off round with a chance to make the group stage. Obviously it is dependent on the quality of players coming in to players lost for fees.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 14-08-2021 at 01:51 PM.

So another week of Euro-qualifying starts, unfortunately the first sans Hibs

3 ECL qualifiers today, and amazingly 47th ranked Moldova have a team still involved---Sherrif Tiraspol!!
    Would very much like to see them, Monaco and Brondby picking up wins
    And in the one Europa League qualifier, CFR Cluj beating Red Star works to our advantage

So another week of Euro-qualifying starts, unfortunately the first sans Hibs

3 ECL qualifiers today, and amazingly 47th ranked Moldova have a team still involved---Sherrif Tiraspol!!
    Would very much like to see them, Monaco and Brondby picking up wins
    And in the one Europa League qualifier, CFR Cluj beating Red Star works to our advantage
    Red Star up by 2 and it's not half time yet

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Red Star up by 2 and it's not half time yet
    Yeah, but 2 for 4 so far, and RB Salzburg losing is of the biggest benefit I think

Is 2 for 4 not a bad cricket score?
    Croatia and Austria won't be getting near Scotland for years in the coefficient unless the Old Firm completely fall apart at some point.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 17-08-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Balls to the coefficient, I want Aberdeen and St Johnstone out.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
    👏🏻

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Is it bad that I want those two pumped out but recognise the importance of the Old Firm having a decent European run?

Correct. **** the both of them. Especially Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Correct. **** the both of them. Especially Aberdeen.
    Can we meet somewhere in the middle and have them both win a game whilst being knocked out??? just for the coefficients sake

Tonight, Sellick could help out with a win, theyre going to end up playing till Christmas anyway.
    In the other matches, wins for Benfica, Ferencvaros and Ludogorets would be the best help

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    sellick looking good for the groups and sevco will skoosh it in their tie

Gained a bit on the Dutch tonight

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    I'd rather they both got the group stages and suffered the Thursday-Sunday hangovers until the festive period and dropping down the table.
    Last edited by MacBean; 19-08-2021 at 09:13 AM.
    Hibernian Football Club

I'd rather they both got the group stages and suffered the Thursday-Sunday hangovers until the festive period and dropping down the table.
    Aberdeen will make around 3 million if they get to the groups so hope they don't. St Johnstone i wouldn't mind as much as they wont be near us in the league regardless. I'm bitter though so hope they both go out.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    We should be positioning ourselves to be pushing for third without needing Aberdeen and St Johnstone to have European hangovers. We did it last season and there's no reason why we couldn't do it again as we've retained the majority of our squad, granted we still need a couple of players in.

So the final set of play-off matches this week, and ECL qualifiers gain 4 points(divided by the number of teams)
    Today, would like to see Ferencvaros knock off Young Boys, Benfica eliminate PSV, and Ludugorets overcome Malmo

So Austria and Ukraine have made it very close with their teams qualifying for the ECL Group stages. We're now only .15 ahead of Austria, and 1.2 ahead of Ukraine. Hopefully St Johnstone can eliminate LASK

So Austria and Ukraine have made it very close with their teams qualifying for the ECL Group stages. We're now only .15 ahead of Austria, and 1.2 ahead of Ukraine. Hopefully St Johnstone can eliminate LASK
    The big picture is neither will be near to Scotland next season after the 5 year drop off occurs.
    Scotland will lose only 4, Ukraine 8 and Austria 9.75
    The hard work to maintain our points total will be in the seasons after that when we have to perform well to match our totals from 5 seasons previous.
    I see Scotland locked in 8th place in the medium term always adrift of Holland in 7th with Belgium our chaser in 9th.
    As ever we rely on the Old Firm but I can see Hibs continuing our slow seasonal team improvement and making the Conference Group stages from next season or the following one. Aberdeen and Hearts could manage the same although the elephant in the room for Aberdeen is the replacement of Pittodrie which will stop their teams progress.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-08-2021 at 10:54 AM.