hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ryder Cup 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is a busted flush. He’s never been the same since he decided to get ripped.

Did his game not go to pot when he changed his clubs due to a massive sponsorship deal and struggled with the new clubs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    He is a busted flush. He’s never been the same since he decided to get ripped.
    To be fair, he's still ranked 15 in the world, Europe's 3rd highest ranking. He's not that bad, but he's been really poor this week though, the course and conditions haven't suited him at all.

Not sure why Harrington has given him so much game time. And don't get me started on Poulter.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    He's living on past glories and contributed the square route of absolutely zero.
    The guy's always annoyed me for some reason. He's also just not good enough to be in the team on current form.

The booing of the European players when their names called out is very poor by the Yanks, McIlroy just gave a wry smile.

Rahm was immense on Friday and Saturday but is currently up against it v Scheffler. I think though it's mostly down to Scheffler playing well. Hopefully Rahm can turn it around.

Europe realistically too far behind to catch the US but would be nice if we could at least win the singles session and keep the overall score respectable. Mind you, think I thought the same for Medinah.

Left by mutual consent!
    If Europe don’t win at least 6 points today it’ll be the first time since 2006 that one team has won every session.

If Europe don’t win at least 6 points today it’ll be the first time since 2006 that one team has won every session.
    Fourballs yesterday was 2-2.

Left by mutual consent!
    Balls, 4th session was 2-2.

What a flump 😂

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    We are getting hammered, outplayed and outclassed.

This is getting pretty ugly. Most one sided Ryder cup I've watched I think.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We are getting hammered, outplayed and outclassed.
    Disappointing but not really a surprise given their average world ranking is 8.9 and ours is 30.8. Add in home advantage and restricted number of away fans then it isn't an unexpected scoreline.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    American golf has been unbelievably good. All week too.,

Yay, point for Europe. Gap down to 5, game on!

The American often(always) have the better players but they have a habit of getting in their own way.

They had the potential to do the same again here, but Stricker and others have done a great job of preventing that from happening.

It has been a fantastic performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The American often(always) have the better players but they have a habit of getting in their own way.

They had the potential to do the same again here, but Stricker and others have done a great job of preventing that from happening.

Agree, they usually have the better players but we often are the better team. I think the gap this time between the players was that much bigger this team that it was a huge mountain to climb.

That's 2 cans of lager Xander Schauffele's downed in one already. He's going to be an ill boy in the morning. 🤮

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Agree, they usually have the better players but we often are the better team. I think the gap this time between the players was that much bigger this team that it was a huge mountain to climb.
    The US team was very very strong…was always gonna be tough.

But the Europe team just didn’t look at the races from the off.

The only bright spot outside of the Rahm and Garcia partnership was Hovland who looks a great player.

In retrospect we should maybe have taken a couple more rookies to blood them ahead of Italy.

Absolutely cracking course though that encouraged some great golf and punished any poor shots heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Disappointing but not really a surprise given their average world ranking is 8.9 and ours is 30.8. Add in home advantage and restricted number of away fans then it isn't an unexpected scoreline.
    Also can't underestimate the effect of Brexit on the European team.

Predictions for the Nicklaus-Jacklin award are Dustin Johnson and John Rahm. Doesn't have to go to the top point scorers but can't see past those 2. Rahm was huge for us 1st 2 days and Johnson only the 3rd player ever to win 5 out of 5 (plus it was on the course where he got a 2 shot penalty and a triple bogey on the 72nd hole to miss out on the playoff by 2 shots in the 2910 USPGA).

Rankings notwithstanding, there's a huge home advantage effect. Whoever has been the home team has had comfortable wins in the last few since the "miracle of Medinah" in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    The US team was very very strong…was always gonna be tough.

But the Europe team just didn’t look at the races from the off.

The only bright spot outside of the Rahm and Garcia partnership was Hovland who looks a great player.

In retrospect we should maybe have taken a couple more rookies to blood them ahead of Italy.

Absolutely cracking course though that encouraged some great golf and punished any poor shots heavily.
    I loved the bunkers.

Bunkers are often beautifully manicured these days and players are brilliant at getting out of them.

I loved that they were proper "hazards" and that players were so often harshly punished for going in them.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    I loved the bunkers.

Bunkers are often beautifully manicured these days and players are brilliant at getting out of them.

I loved that they were proper "hazards" and that players were so often harshly punished for going in them.
    Was saying exactly that to my playing partner yesterday.

So often you hear that the pro’s actually PREFER to be in a bunker if they miss the green.

Not on this course because, as you say, the hazard was indeed a hazard.

Would love to see that concept applied to a few more courses they play.

I also saw a chat the other day about removing bunkers from courses and adding humps and hollows instead that actually punished poor play more and, handily, were much cheaper and easier to maintain.