hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 112

Thread: Ryder Cup 2021

  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One week to go and I can't wait. I always look at the teams and think the American's have the stronger team, but they rarely seem to play to their individual strengths. Again, this year, I think it'll go down to a few key matches that could swing either way. The fact that there will be 99% of the fans cheering the US should tip it in their favour, but let's hope that's not the case.

    US Team:
    Collin Morikawa
    Dustin Johnson
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Brooks Koepka
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Cantlay
    Tony Finau
    Xander Schauffele
    Jordan Spieth
    Harris English
    Daniel Berger
    Scottie Scheffler

    Europe Team:
    Jon Rahm
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Bernd Wiesberger
    Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland
    Paul Casey
    Matt Fitzpatrick
    Lee Westwood
    Shane Lowry
    Sergio Garcia
    Ian Poulter

    Aye should be good.

    USA have the Dechambeau/Koepka dynamic to deal with. Koepka's comments this week about the competition were a bit odd. Wasn't exactly sounding up for it!


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    I think USA will win (unless they really canít be ar*ed.. as thereís plenty Europeans that will be right up for it). But Iíve thought that before.

    Hope to see a fair bit of the action.

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    24,139
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye should be good.

    USA have the Dechambeau/Koepka dynamic to deal with. Koepka's comments this week about the competition were a bit odd. Wasn't exactly sounding up for it!
    I have a strange feeling we will see Bryson paired with Brooks at some point this week.

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a strange feeling we will see Bryson paired with Brooks at some point this week.
    If they want to ensure a few more viewers it wouldn't be a bad idea

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a strange feeling we will see Bryson paired with Brooks at some point this week.
    Not a chance, Stricker would be strung up if he pulled such a trick and they lost the cup (again).

    We wonít see those guys paired, they genuinely dislike each other.

  7. #36
    Wonder what our opening fourball/foursomes will be?

    Jon Rahm / Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland / Paul Casey
    Shane Lowry / Sergio Garcia
    Lee Westwood / Ian Poulter

    Think that's our best eight form players, with the following left for the afternoon:


    Tommy Fleetwood
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Bernd Wiesberger
    Matt Fitzpatrick

    Don't know if they've announced what format is first.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder what our opening fourball/foursomes will be?

    Jon Rahm / Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland / Paul Casey
    Shane Lowry / Sergio Garcia
    Lee Westwood / Ian Poulter

    Think that's our best eight form players, with the following left for the afternoon:


    Tommy Fleetwood
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Bernd Wiesberger
    Matt Fitzpatrick

    Don't know if they've announced what format is first.
    Pretty sure itís always foursomes first, unless they have changed the rules ?
    Personally think Lee Westwood may be a weak link as hasnít really had any form this year, and if Shane Lowry played his way into the team then I donít think he would have got a captains pick.

  9. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure it’s always foursomes first, unless they have changed the rules ?
    I'm pretty sure that the home team decides on which is played first. Wikipedia states "Currently the home captain decides before the contest starts whether the fourball or foursomes matches are played in the morning. He may choose a different order for the two days." For this Ryder Cup it's as follows:

    Friday, 24 September:

    Foursome: 1:05pm, 1:21pm, 1:37pm, 1:53pm

    Fourball: 6:10pm, 6:26pm, 6:42pm, 6:58pm

    Saturday, 25 September:

    Foursome: 1:05pm, 1:21pm, 1:37pm, 1:53pm

    Fourball: 6:10pm, 6:26pm, 6:42pm, 6:58pm

    Sunday, 26 September:

    Singles matches: Starts at 5:04pm, then games follow at 11-minute intervals

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure that the home team decides on which is played first. Wikipedia states "Currently the home captain decides before the contest starts whether the fourball or foursomes matches are played in the morning. He may choose a different order for the two days." For this Ryder Cup it's as follows:

    Friday, 24 September:

    Foursome: 1:05pm, 1:21pm, 1:37pm, 1:53pm

    Fourball: 6:10pm, 6:26pm, 6:42pm, 6:58pm

    Saturday, 25 September:

    Foursome: 1:05pm, 1:21pm, 1:37pm, 1:53pm

    Fourball: 6:10pm, 6:26pm, 6:42pm, 6:58pm

    Sunday, 26 September:

    Singles matches: Starts at 5:04pm, then games follow at 11-minute intervals
    Cheers, didnít know that.

    Canít wait for it to start tomorrow

  11. #40
    1305 BST Jon Rahm/Sergio Garcia (EUR) vs Justin Thomas/Jordan Spieth (USA)
    1321 BST Paul Casey/Viktor Hovland (EUR) vs Dustin Johnson/Collin Morikawa (USA)
    1337 BST Lee Westwood/Matt Fitzpatrick (EUR) vs Brooks Koepka/Daniel Berger (USA)
    1353 BST Rory McIlroy/Ian Poulter (EUR) vs Patrick Cantlay/Xander Schauffele (USA)

    Can't wait for the action to start.

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member DiscoDoidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,037
    Get into these yanks

  13. #42
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,602
    It looks like a lot will depend on whether or not the old European warhorses can rise to the occasion, as they have a decent record of doing in the past.

    If the likes of Poulter and Garcia play the way they've been playing of late, this could be a pasting.

    If they rise to the occasion, as they have so many times in the past, then it could be a different story.

    I look at those pairings and don't see Europe having a chance though.

  14. #43
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    63
    Posts
    16,800
    Bit like a Trump rally out there. Would make it even sweeter if we could.pump them.

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    74
    Posts
    19,814
    Blog Entries
    1
    I donít mind the Yanks showing strong and loud support for their team but I think cheering and applauding European mistakes and misfortune is pathetic.

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    24,139
    A handful of holes in and some exceptional golf already.

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    24,139
    Great first session of golf from the Americans in that format .

  18. #47
    Poulter certainly not justifying the captain's pick so far, this course doesn't really suit him anyway, would have been much better off with Justin Rose.

    For the afternoon Harrington should lead off with Garcia and Rahm again, they need to get the next point on the board. Lowry and McIlroy makes sense as a pairing, they are friends off the course.

    After that maybe Fleetwood/Hatton and Hovland/Weisberger as the other pairings to make sure everyone plays a match on day one and to get some of the deadwood like Poulter, Casey and Westwood off the course.
    Last edited by mayo hibee; 24-09-2021 at 04:33 PM.

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    53,725
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Poulter certainly not justifying the captain's pick so far, this course doesn't really suit him anyway, would have been much better off with Justin Rose.

    For the afternoon Harrington should lead off with Garcia and Rahm again, they need to get the next point on the board. Lowry and McIlroy makes sense as a pairing, they are friends off the course.

    After that maybe Fleetwood/Hatton and Hovland/Weisberger as the other pairings to make sure everyone plays a match on day one and to get some of the deadwood like Poulter, Casey and Westwood off the course.
    I agree, the postman has been on strike most of the last year, i think this is one ryder cup too many for him.

    We are much weaker all through the squad than them, cant see anything but a heavy defeat.

  20. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I donít mind the Yanks showing strong and loud support for their team but I think cheering and applauding European mistakes and misfortune is pathetic.
    Not for me, itís not worth any prize money or ranking points so should be treated as itís meant to be, a competitive but fan friendly exhibition. Booing and jeering, cheering mis-hits and misfortune and players getting the crowd revíd up is all part of it.

  21. #50
    I think it's ok to a point but shouting "in the water" and "fore" when they have no idea where the ball is going is pretty pathetic.

  22. #51
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    74
    Posts
    19,814
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not for me, it’s not worth any prize money or ranking points so should be treated as it’s meant to be, a competitive but fan friendly exhibition. Booing and jeering, cheering mis-hits and misfortune and players getting the crowd rev’d up is all part of it.
    I get your point but don’t really agree with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's ok to a point but shouting "in the water" and "fore" when they have no idea where the ball is going is pretty pathetic.
    Classless but hey ho.

    ........ plus, the Yanks get cheered all the way and the Europeans get booed all the way.
    Last edited by Jim44; 24-09-2021 at 08:33 PM.

  23. #52
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    18,436
    If Europe can get out with a 5-3 deficit theyíll be ecstatic. Too many players either out of form or not good enough anymore.

    United we stand here....

  24. #53
    resident moaning git DaveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    52
    Posts
    31,522
    Americans are draining putts all over the place. Only Rahm looks in decent nick for Europe so far.

  25. #54
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    35,138
    How poor is Mcilroy absolutely awful. Don't think I have seen him putt anything all day.

  26. #55
    Europe just seem to have too many weak links here. Other than Garcia (inexplicably left out of this session) the older crowd look past it - Casey, Poulter and Westwood. Then there's the likes of Fitzpatrick and Wiesberger who always looked like potential weak links (though Wiesberger is trying hard to be fair). On top of that they really couldn't afford to have McIlroy looking so far off his game also, and Lowry has done little.

    That's just too many weak links for the others - Garcia, Rahm, Hovland, Fleetwood and Hatton to carry.

    If they can get out of today at 5-3 they'll have been unbelievably fortunate but it's not looking too likely at the moment.

  27. #56
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    24,139
    I think USA could dominate the Ryder cup for quite a while. Outside of Rahm and Hovland there is no other Europeans capable of dominating in the game right now. Detry might given time and possibly Weisberger but Iím not sure who the next really good batch are.
    Last edited by greenlex; 25-09-2021 at 01:19 PM.

  28. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get your point but donít really agree with you.



    Classless but hey ho.

    ........ plus, the Yanks get cheered all the way and the Europeans get booed all the way.
    No difference to us celebrating an opposition player making an arse of something during a game, or cheering our own players. Itís a team game and all based on where you are from. Totally different to every other week on tour.

  29. #58
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    18,436
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No difference to us celebrating an opposition player making an arse of something during a game, or cheering our own players. Itís a team game and all based on where you are from. Totally different to every other week on tour.
    Itís not my cup of tea to be honest, I donít mind the chanting and the over the top atmosphere, but shouting for the ball to miss or go in the water is so far removed from the way golf is played that it just seems wrong. Anyone who plays golf will tell you itís all about being respectful and supportive.

    United we stand here....

  30. #59
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    18,436
    6-2 at the close of play. Europe probably need at least 5 points tomorrow.

    United we stand here....

  31. #60
    @hibs.net private member DiscoDoidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,037
    Spieths shot from the bottom of the cliff was one of the best shots Iíve ever seen.

    Brysonís 417 yard drive was up there too, for totally different reasons.

    Tony finau was unfortunately absolutely incredible today, did he miss a putt from within 30ft today?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)