hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31

Thread: Ryder Cup 2021

  1. #1

    Ryder Cup 2021

    Only three months to go until the 2021 Ryder Cup starts on the 24th September. As in previous years, it's going to be very interesting to see who makes the team.

    As of 23rd June, the latest standings are:

    European Points List


    1. Jon Rahm 8,516
    2. Tommy Fleetwood 4,999
    3. Tyrrell Hatton 4,861
    4. Rory McIlroy 4,418

    World Points List


    1. Paul Casey 266.25
    2. Viktor Hovland 245.06
    3. Lee Westwood 232.48
    4. Matthew Fitzpatrick 213.76
    5. Victor Perez 187.37


    Others close by include Bernd Wiesberger, Guido Migliozzi, Robert MacIntyre, Shane Lowry, Justin Rose, Sergio Garcia, Danny Willett and Ian Poulter.

    Team looking pretty strong already. No Molinari nor Stenson in the top 10 in either European or World List and don't think they are playing well enough to merit a pick. But all can and will change over the summer.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Latest automatic team selection below, being a mix of Euro list and World list.

    Jon Rahm
    Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland
    Paul Casey
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Matt Fitzpatrick
    Lee Westwood
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Shane Lowry

    Then three picks - you would think Poulter and maybe Rose would get picks. As always, looks a strong team, but think they'll struggle in the USA.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    852
    I see that Bob Macintyre is playing the next 3 tournaments in the USA on the 2nd tier Korn Ferry tour as he is trying to get his tour card for next season. Looks like he will miss the cut in the first one 👎
    He may be confident that he will get one of the captains picks!
    Risky strategy I think

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Latest automatic team selection below, being a mix of Euro list and World list.

    Jon Rahm
    Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland
    Paul Casey
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Matt Fitzpatrick
    Lee Westwood
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Shane Lowry

    Then three picks - you would think Poulter and maybe Rose would get picks. As always, looks a strong team, but think they'll struggle in the USA.
    Poulter,Rose and Garcia will prob get the picks imo.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Poulter,Rose and Garcia will prob get the picks imo.
    Poulter is a no brainer, Rose Id definitely pick too. Garcia Im not so sure about.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Strandhill, Sligo
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,897
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see that Bob Macintyre is playing the next 3 tournaments in the USA on the 2nd tier Korn Ferry tour as he is trying to get his tour card for next season. Looks like he will miss the cut in the first one ��
    He may be confident that he will get one of the captains picks!
    Risky strategy I think
    Personally I think he will get a captains pick but he had a mare yesterday if I was looking at the right leaderboard. However formidable the USA teamlooksI think ours is shaping up very nicely.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Poulter is a no brainer, Rose Id definitely pick too. Garcia Im not so sure about.
    Agree! I'm sure I read that Harrington and Garcia don't get on, so a Captain's Pick looks unlikely to me.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree! I'm sure I read that Harrington and Garcia don't get on, so a Captain's Pick looks unlikely to me.
    Yeah read that too, also Garcia hasnt been in great form recently, now out of the worlds top 50. Albeit a rookie Id rather give someone with a bit of form a chance like Perez.

    Harrington could try F Molinari and see if he and Fleetwood can rediscover that Paris magic but kind of defeats my argument against Garcia and his form, hes slipped to outside the worlds top 150. Think he missed a lot of golf due to the pandemic.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Slightly off topic but didnt want to start a new thread, Scotlands Louise Duncan is well placed for the final round of the Womens Open. Amateur Champion and only 21, shes played amazing first three days and only two off the lead!

    Would be an incredible achievement for her, its a tightly packed leaderboard so she will need to fight hard to win.

  11. #10
    US team taking shape with six automatic picks confirmed:

    Collin Morikawa
    Dustin Johnson
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Brooks Koepka
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Cantlay

    Other likely Captain's picks likely to be:

    Tony Finau a
    Xander Schauffele
    Jordan Spieth
    Harris English

    Leaving another two picks.

    Strong team as expected.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member IWasThere2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The North We(s)t of Engerland
    Age
    53
    Posts
    35,231
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    US team taking shape with six automatic picks confirmed:

    Collin Morikawa
    Dustin Johnson
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Brooks Koepka
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Cantlay

    Other likely Captain's picks likely to be:

    Tony Finau a
    Xander Schauffele
    Jordan Spieth
    Harris English

    Leaving another two picks.

    Strong team as expected.
    Winners

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see that Bob Macintyre is playing the next 3 tournaments in the USA on the 2nd tier Korn Ferry tour as he is trying to get his tour card for next season. Looks like he will miss the cut in the first one 👎
    He may be confident that he will get one of the captains picks!
    Risky strategy I think
    I would have said it's more likely that he has just given up on it this time around to be honest. I can't see him being near a captains pick, they're generally held back for experienced Ryder Cup players and major winners.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    24,072
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Winners
    Not so sure Dustin Johnston, Bryson de Chambeau. Brooks Koepka and now Patrick Cantlay all have history with each other. If Patrick Reed makes it thats about half the team at war with each other.

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,371
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so sure Dustin Johnston, Bryson de Chambeau. Brooks Koepka and now Patrick Cantlay all have history with each other. If Patrick Reed makes it that’s about half the team at war with each other.
    It'll be fascinating to watch.

    America clearly have the better players but as you say, there are plenty of egos and personal problems between those players.

    In a game that relies so much on temperament, I think you need decent chemistry between players and the Europeans seem to always have that.

    It was quite the collapse from Weisberger on Sunday. You had to feel sorry for him because one hole may end up costing him his only chance of ever playing in the Ryder Cup.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    53,553
    Bryson de Chambeau and Brooks Koepka

    That's a pairing i'd love to see.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have said it's more likely that he has just given up on it this time around to be honest. I can't see him being near a captains pick, they're generally held back for experienced Ryder Cup players and major winners.
    I would disagree Mayo. His record over the last couple of years in majors and regular events was outstanding. He never even missed a cut this season. He played with Harrington and Karlsson numerous times as they were keeping an eye on him.
    In saying that, his form has disappeared at the wrong time. He has missed the last 2 cuts on the Korn Ferry tour and I see he is now not playing in the final event this week, or the Italian Open in Europe.
    All very weird !

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    24,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It'll be fascinating to watch.

    America clearly have the better players but as you say, there are plenty of egos and personal problems between those players.

    In a game that relies so much on temperament, I think you need decent chemistry between players and the Europeans seem to always have that.

    It was quite the collapse from Weisberger on Sunday. You had to feel sorry for him because one hole may end up costing him his only chance of ever playing in the Ryder Cup.
    I think Weisberger might get the nod. Depends on the Wentworth result but hes as good a pick as Bob or other players not really performing.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    24,072
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would disagree Mayo. His record over the last couple of years in majors and regular events was outstanding. He never even missed a cut this season. He played with Harrington and Karlsson numerous times as they were keeping an eye on him.
    In saying that, his form has disappeared at the wrong time. He has missed the last 2 cuts on the Korn Ferry tour and I see he is now not playing in the final event this week, or the Italian Open in Europe.
    All very weird !
    He is resting up and hoping To do enough at Wentworth. I dont think he will.

  20. #19
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,371
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Weisberger might get the nod. Depends on the Wentworth result but he’s as good a pick as Bob or other players not really performing.
    He's got another couple of cracks at winning an event and might nudge his way in. Can you see a captain picking a player to play in a pressure environment when he's so recently choked and double bogeyed the last to chuck his chances of automatic qualification though?

    With the American team, you're mainly looking at which 4 or 5 strong candidates you leave out.

    Europe seem to be one player short due to several playing themselves out of contention in recent weeks.

    Stenson is the only one who has probably been looking like not making it to have picked up in recent weeks, but I don't know if a Ryder Cup in America is a place for someone who won't/ can't hit their driver.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is resting up and hoping To do enough at Wentworth. I dont think he will.

    Resting up ? He has hardly played competitively in the last 3 weeks ( 4 rounds).
    Personally thought he should have stayed in Europe instead of trying to get his USTour card.
    I agree with you, I cant see him doing enough at Wentworth to qualify now.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    24,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's got another couple of cracks at winning an event and might nudge his way in. Can you see a captain picking a player to play in a pressure environment when he's so recently choked and double bogeyed the last to chuck his chances of automatic qualification though?

    With the American team, you're mainly looking at which 4 or 5 strong candidates you leave out.

    Europe seem to be one player short due to several playing themselves out of contention in recent weeks.

    Stenson is the only one who has probably been looking like not making it to have picked up in recent weeks, but I don't know if a Ryder Cup in America is a place for someone who won't/ can't hit their driver.
    Hes got plenty in the bank regards getting it over the line. He will be a consideration.

  23. #22
    Good start by Europe in the ladies version - leading 5.5 to 2.5 after day one, albeit the US aided by a controversial moment in the top fourball match.

  24. #23
    Great effort from the ladies to win the Solheim away from home, similar to the men in terms of world rankings they should have been well beaten. 4.5 points by Leona Maguire on debut was especially impressive.

    Seems like Poulter, Garcia and Rose will be the three wild card picks for the Ryder Cup if the expected nine qualify automatically.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member 3pm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    13,154
    US team announced.

  26. #25
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,371
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    US team announced.
    No Patrick Reed? Big call.

    When he was ill with bilateral pneumonia the Ryder Cup seemed a long way off but he got back to playing again at the weekend there.

    The Americans aren't exactly short of good players, but Reed would always be somebody you'd expect them to find a space for.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member 3pm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No Patrick Reed? Big call.

    When he was ill with bilateral pneumonia the Ryder Cup seemed a long way off but he got back to playing again at the weekend there.

    The Americans aren't exactly short of good players, but Reed would always be somebody you'd expect them to find a space for.
    Not sure he is that popular. Had a moan at Spieth back in 2018 and by extension, Furyk.

  28. #27
    One of the interesting aspects of this Ryder Cup will be the relationship between Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka. They really do hate each other. I'd imagine it'll get nasty if the US don't win and their row is deemed to have affected team morale.

    Bryson DeChambeau & Brooks Koepka row: Fans face expulsion if they shout 'Brooksie' - BBC Sport

    Maybe it will be in the US best interests if BK has to pull out due to injury.

  29. #28
    Wiesberger gets into the automatic spots ahead of Lowry. So now it looks like three from four for the wildcards with one missing out from Garcia, Rose, Lowry and Poulter. On form Poulter should be the one to miss out but Harrington has said previously he was likely to pick Garcia and Poulter. If he sticks to that then either Rose or Lowry would miss out.

    Bringing Poulter, but as a vice captain, might be one way to pick them all.
    Last edited by mayo hibee; 12-09-2021 at 05:45 PM.

  30. #29
    Garcia, Lowry and Poulter get the picks. Rose the one to miss out.

  31. #30
    One week to go and I can't wait. I always look at the teams and think the American's have the stronger team, but they rarely seem to play to their individual strengths. Again, this year, I think it'll go down to a few key matches that could swing either way. The fact that there will be 99% of the fans cheering the US should tip it in their favour, but let's hope that's not the case.

    US Team:
    Collin Morikawa
    Dustin Johnson
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Brooks Koepka
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Cantlay
    Tony Finau
    Xander Schauffele
    Jordan Spieth
    Harris English
    Daniel Berger
    Scottie Scheffler

    Europe Team:
    Jon Rahm
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Bernd Wiesberger
    Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland
    Paul Casey
    Matt Fitzpatrick
    Lee Westwood
    Shane Lowry
    Sergio Garcia
    Ian Poulter

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)