hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryder Cup 2021

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One week to go and I can't wait. I always look at the teams and think the American's have the stronger team, but they rarely seem to play to their individual strengths. Again, this year, I think it'll go down to a few key matches that could swing either way. The fact that there will be 99% of the fans cheering the US should tip it in their favour, but let's hope that's not the case.

US Team:
    Collin Morikawa
    Dustin Johnson
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Brooks Koepka
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Cantlay
    Tony Finau
    Xander Schauffele
    Jordan Spieth
    Harris English
    Daniel Berger
    Scottie Scheffler

Europe Team:
    Jon Rahm
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Bernd Wiesberger
    Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland
    Paul Casey
    Matt Fitzpatrick
    Lee Westwood
    Shane Lowry
    Sergio Garcia
    Ian Poulter

Aye should be good.

USA have the Dechambeau/Koepka dynamic to deal with. Koepka's comments this week about the competition were a bit odd. Wasn't exactly sounding up for it!

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think USA will win (unless they really can’t be ar*ed.. as there’s plenty Europeans that will be right up for it). But I’ve thought that before.

Hope to see a fair bit of the action.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Aye should be good.

USA have the Dechambeau/Koepka dynamic to deal with. Koepka's comments this week about the competition were a bit odd. Wasn't exactly sounding up for it!
    I have a strange feeling we will see Bryson paired with Brooks at some point this week.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I have a strange feeling we will see Bryson paired with Brooks at some point this week.
    If they want to ensure a few more viewers it wouldn't be a bad idea

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Not a chance, Stricker would be strung up if he pulled such a trick and they lost the cup (again).

We won’t see those guys paired, they genuinely dislike each other.

Wonder what our opening fourball/foursomes will be?

Jon Rahm / Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland / Paul Casey
    Shane Lowry / Sergio Garcia
    Lee Westwood / Ian Poulter

Think that's our best eight form players, with the following left for the afternoon:

Tommy Fleetwood
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Bernd Wiesberger
    Matt Fitzpatrick

Don't know if they've announced what format is first.

Wonder what our opening fourball/foursomes will be?

Jon Rahm / Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland / Paul Casey
    Shane Lowry / Sergio Garcia
    Lee Westwood / Ian Poulter

Think that's our best eight form players, with the following left for the afternoon:

Tommy Fleetwood
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Bernd Wiesberger
    Matt Fitzpatrick

Don't know if they've announced what format is first.
    Pretty sure it’s always foursomes first, unless they have changed the rules ?
    Personally think Lee Westwood may be a weak link as hasn’t really had any form this year, and if Shane Lowry played his way into the team then I don’t think he would have got a captains pick.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Pretty sure it’s always foursomes first, unless they have changed the rules ?
    I'm pretty sure that the home team decides on which is played first. Wikipedia states "Currently the home captain decides before the contest starts whether the fourball or foursomes matches are played in the morning. He may choose a different order for the two days." For this Ryder Cup it's as follows:

Friday, 24 September:

Foursome: 1:05pm, 1:21pm, 1:37pm, 1:53pm

Fourball: 6:10pm, 6:26pm, 6:42pm, 6:58pm

Saturday, 25 September:

Sunday, 26 September:

Singles matches: Starts at 5:04pm, then games follow at 11-minute intervals

I'm pretty sure that the home team decides on which is played first. Wikipedia states "Currently the home captain decides before the contest starts whether the fourball or foursomes matches are played in the morning. He may choose a different order for the two days." For this Ryder Cup it's as follows:

Friday, 24 September:

Saturday, 25 September:

Sunday, 26 September:

Singles matches: Starts at 5:04pm, then games follow at 11-minute intervals
    Cheers, didn’t know that.

Can’t wait for it to start tomorrow

1305 BST Jon Rahm/Sergio Garcia (EUR) vs Justin Thomas/Jordan Spieth (USA)
    1321 BST Paul Casey/Viktor Hovland (EUR) vs Dustin Johnson/Collin Morikawa (USA)
    1337 BST Lee Westwood/Matt Fitzpatrick (EUR) vs Brooks Koepka/Daniel Berger (USA)
    1353 BST Rory McIlroy/Ian Poulter (EUR) vs Patrick Cantlay/Xander Schauffele (USA)

Can't wait for the action to start.

Get into these yanks

It looks like a lot will depend on whether or not the old European warhorses can rise to the occasion, as they have a decent record of doing in the past.

If the likes of Poulter and Garcia play the way they've been playing of late, this could be a pasting.

If they rise to the occasion, as they have so many times in the past, then it could be a different story.

I look at those pairings and don't see Europe having a chance though.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Bit like a Trump rally out there. Would make it even sweeter if we could.pump them.

Blog Entries
    I don’t mind the Yanks showing strong and loud support for their team but I think cheering and applauding European mistakes and misfortune is pathetic.

A handful of holes in and some exceptional golf already.

Great first session of golf from the Americans in that format .

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Poulter certainly not justifying the captain's pick so far, this course doesn't really suit him anyway, would have been much better off with Justin Rose.

For the afternoon Harrington should lead off with Garcia and Rahm again, they need to get the next point on the board. Lowry and McIlroy makes sense as a pairing, they are friends off the course.

After that maybe Fleetwood/Hatton and Hovland/Weisberger as the other pairings to make sure everyone plays a match on day one and to get some of the deadwood like Poulter, Casey and Westwood off the course.
    Last edited by mayo hibee; 24-09-2021 at 04:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Poulter certainly not justifying the captain's pick so far, this course doesn't really suit him anyway, would have been much better off with Justin Rose.

For the afternoon Harrington should lead off with Garcia and Rahm again, they need to get the next point on the board. Lowry and McIlroy makes sense as a pairing, they are friends off the course.

After that maybe Fleetwood/Hatton and Hovland/Weisberger as the other pairings to make sure everyone plays a match on day one and to get some of the deadwood like Poulter, Casey and Westwood off the course.
    I agree, the postman has been on strike most of the last year, i think this is one ryder cup too many for him.

We are much weaker all through the squad than them, cant see anything but a heavy defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I don’t mind the Yanks showing strong and loud support for their team but I think cheering and applauding European mistakes and misfortune is pathetic.
    Not for me, it’s not worth any prize money or ranking points so should be treated as it’s meant to be, a competitive but fan friendly exhibition. Booing and jeering, cheering mis-hits and misfortune and players getting the crowd rev’d up is all part of it.

I think it's ok to a point but shouting "in the water" and "fore" when they have no idea where the ball is going is pretty pathetic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Not for me, it’s not worth any prize money or ranking points so should be treated as it’s meant to be, a competitive but fan friendly exhibition. Booing and jeering, cheering mis-hits and misfortune and players getting the crowd rev’d up is all part of it.
    I get your point but don’t really agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    I think it's ok to a point but shouting "in the water" and "fore" when they have no idea where the ball is going is pretty pathetic.
    Classless but hey ho.

........ plus, the Yanks get cheered all the way and the Europeans get booed all the way.
    Last edited by Jim44; 24-09-2021 at 08:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    If Europe can get out with a 5-3 deficit they’ll be ecstatic. Too many players either out of form or not good enough anymore.

United we stand here....

Americans are draining putts all over the place. Only Rahm looks in decent nick for Europe so far.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    How poor is Mcilroy absolutely awful. Don't think I have seen him putt anything all day.

Europe just seem to have too many weak links here. Other than Garcia (inexplicably left out of this session) the older crowd look past it - Casey, Poulter and Westwood. Then there's the likes of Fitzpatrick and Wiesberger who always looked like potential weak links (though Wiesberger is trying hard to be fair). On top of that they really couldn't afford to have McIlroy looking so far off his game also, and Lowry has done little.

That's just too many weak links for the others - Garcia, Rahm, Hovland, Fleetwood and Hatton to carry.

If they can get out of today at 5-3 they'll have been unbelievably fortunate but it's not looking too likely at the moment.

I think USA could dominate the Ryder cup for quite a while. Outside of Rahm and Hovland there is no other Europeans capable of dominating in the game right now. Detry might given time and possibly Weisberger but I’m not sure who the next really good batch are.
    Last edited by greenlex; 25-09-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I get your point but don’t really agree with you.

Classless but hey ho.

........ plus, the Yanks get cheered all the way and the Europeans get booed all the way.
    No difference to us celebrating an opposition player making an arse of something during a game, or cheering our own players. It’s a team game and all based on where you are from. Totally different to every other week on tour.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    No difference to us celebrating an opposition player making an arse of something during a game, or cheering our own players. It’s a team game and all based on where you are from. Totally different to every other week on tour.
    It’s not my cup of tea to be honest, I don’t mind the chanting and the over the top atmosphere, but shouting for the ball to miss or go in the water is so far removed from the way golf is played that it just seems wrong. Anyone who plays golf will tell you it’s all about being respectful and supportive.

United we stand here....

6-2 at the close of play. Europe probably need at least 5 points tomorrow.

United we stand here....

Spieths shot from the bottom of the cliff was one of the best shots I’ve ever seen.

Bryson’s 417 yard drive was up there too, for totally different reasons.

Tony finau was unfortunately absolutely incredible today, did he miss a putt from within 30ft today?