hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryder Cup 2021

Ryder Cup 2021

Only three months to go until the 2021 Ryder Cup starts on the 24th September. As in previous years, it's going to be very interesting to see who makes the team.

As of 23rd June, the latest standings are:

European Points List

1. Jon Rahm – 8,516
    2. Tommy Fleetwood – 4,999
    3. Tyrrell Hatton – 4,861
    4. Rory McIlroy – 4,418

World Points List

1. Paul Casey – 266.25
    2. Viktor Hovland – 245.06
    3. Lee Westwood – 232.48
    4. Matthew Fitzpatrick – 213.76
    5. Victor Perez – 187.37

Others close by include Bernd Wiesberger, Guido Migliozzi, Robert MacIntyre, Shane Lowry, Justin Rose, Sergio Garcia, Danny Willett and Ian Poulter.

Team looking pretty strong already. No Molinari nor Stenson in the top 10 in either European or World List and don't think they are playing well enough to merit a pick. But all can and will change over the summer.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Latest automatic team selection below, being a mix of Euro list and World list.

Jon Rahm
    Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland
    Paul Casey
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Matt Fitzpatrick
    Lee Westwood
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Shane Lowry

Then three picks - you would think Poulter and maybe Rose would get picks. As always, looks a strong team, but think they'll struggle in the USA.

I see that Bob Macintyre is playing the next 3 tournaments in the USA on the 2nd tier Korn Ferry tour as he is trying to get his tour card for next season. Looks like he will miss the cut in the first one 👎
    He may be confident that he will get one of the captains picks!
    Risky strategy I think

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Latest automatic team selection below, being a mix of Euro list and World list.

Jon Rahm
    Rory McIlroy
    Viktor Hovland
    Paul Casey
    Tyrrell Hatton
    Matt Fitzpatrick
    Lee Westwood
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Shane Lowry

Then three picks - you would think Poulter and maybe Rose would get picks. As always, looks a strong team, but think they'll struggle in the USA.
    Poulter,Rose and Garcia will prob get the picks imo.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Poulter,Rose and Garcia will prob get the picks imo.
    Poulter is a no brainer, Rose I’d definitely pick too. Garcia I’m not so sure about.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    I see that Bob Macintyre is playing the next 3 tournaments in the USA on the 2nd tier Korn Ferry tour as he is trying to get his tour card for next season. Looks like he will miss the cut in the first one ��
    Risky strategy I think
    Personally I think he will get a captains pick but he had a mare yesterday if I was looking at the right leaderboard. However formidable the USA teamlooksI think ours is shaping up very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Poulter is a no brainer, Rose I’d definitely pick too. Garcia I’m not so sure about.
    Agree! I'm sure I read that Harrington and Garcia don't get on, so a Captain's Pick looks unlikely to me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Agree! I'm sure I read that Harrington and Garcia don't get on, so a Captain's Pick looks unlikely to me.
    Yeah read that too, also Garcia hasn’t been in great form recently, now out of the worlds top 50. Albeit a rookie I’d rather give someone with a bit of form a chance like Perez.

Harrington could try F Molinari and see if he and Fleetwood can rediscover that Paris magic but kind of defeats my argument against Garcia and his form, he’s slipped to outside the worlds top 150. Think he missed a lot of golf due to the pandemic.

Left by mutual consent!
    Slightly off topic but didn’t want to start a new thread, Scotlands Louise Duncan is well placed for the final round of the Womens Open. Amateur Champion and only 21, she’s played amazing first three days and only two off the lead!

Would be an incredible achievement for her, it’s a tightly packed leaderboard so she will need to fight hard to win.

US team taking shape with six automatic picks confirmed:

Collin Morikawa
    Dustin Johnson
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Brooks Koepka
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Cantlay

Other likely Captain's picks likely to be:

Tony Finau a
    Xander Schauffele
    Jordan Spieth
    Harris English

Leaving another two picks.

Strong team as expected.

US team taking shape with six automatic picks confirmed:

Collin Morikawa
    Dustin Johnson
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Brooks Koepka
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Cantlay

Other likely Captain's picks likely to be:

Tony Finau a
    Xander Schauffele
    Jordan Spieth
    Harris English

Leaving another two picks.

Strong team as expected.
    Winners

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    I see that Bob Macintyre is playing the next 3 tournaments in the USA on the 2nd tier Korn Ferry tour as he is trying to get his tour card for next season. Looks like he will miss the cut in the first one 👎
    Risky strategy I think
    I would have said it's more likely that he has just given up on it this time around to be honest. I can't see him being near a captains pick, they're generally held back for experienced Ryder Cup players and major winners.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    Winners
    Not so sure Dustin Johnston, Bryson de Chambeau. Brooks Koepka and now Patrick Cantlay all have history with each other. If Patrick Reed makes it that’s about half the team at war with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Not so sure Dustin Johnston, Bryson de Chambeau. Brooks Koepka and now Patrick Cantlay all have history with each other. If Patrick Reed makes it that’s about half the team at war with each other.
    It'll be fascinating to watch.

America clearly have the better players but as you say, there are plenty of egos and personal problems between those players.

In a game that relies so much on temperament, I think you need decent chemistry between players and the Europeans seem to always have that.

It was quite the collapse from Weisberger on Sunday. You had to feel sorry for him because one hole may end up costing him his only chance of ever playing in the Ryder Cup.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Bryson de Chambeau and Brooks Koepka

That's a pairing i'd love to see.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    I would have said it's more likely that he has just given up on it this time around to be honest. I can't see him being near a captains pick, they're generally held back for experienced Ryder Cup players and major winners.
    I would disagree Mayo. His record over the last couple of years in majors and regular events was outstanding. He never even missed a cut this season. He played with Harrington and Karlsson numerous times as they were keeping an eye on him.
    In saying that, his form has disappeared at the wrong time. He has missed the last 2 cuts on the Korn Ferry tour and I see he is now not playing in the final event this week, or the Italian Open in Europe.
    All very weird !

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It'll be fascinating to watch.

America clearly have the better players but as you say, there are plenty of egos and personal problems between those players.

In a game that relies so much on temperament, I think you need decent chemistry between players and the Europeans seem to always have that.

It was quite the collapse from Weisberger on Sunday. You had to feel sorry for him because one hole may end up costing him his only chance of ever playing in the Ryder Cup.
    I think Weisberger might get the nod. Depends on the Wentworth result but he’s as good a pick as Bob or other players not really performing.

I would disagree Mayo. His record over the last couple of years in majors and regular events was outstanding. He never even missed a cut this season. He played with Harrington and Karlsson numerous times as they were keeping an eye on him.
    In saying that, his form has disappeared at the wrong time. He has missed the last 2 cuts on the Korn Ferry tour and I see he is now not playing in the final event this week, or the Italian Open in Europe.
    All very weird !
    He is resting up and hoping To do enough at Wentworth. I don’t think he will.

I think Weisberger might get the nod. Depends on the Wentworth result but he’s as good a pick as Bob or other players not really performing.
    He's got another couple of cracks at winning an event and might nudge his way in. Can you see a captain picking a player to play in a pressure environment when he's so recently choked and double bogeyed the last to chuck his chances of automatic qualification though?

With the American team, you're mainly looking at which 4 or 5 strong candidates you leave out.

Europe seem to be one player short due to several playing themselves out of contention in recent weeks.

Stenson is the only one who has probably been looking like not making it to have picked up in recent weeks, but I don't know if a Ryder Cup in America is a place for someone who won't/ can't hit their driver.

He is resting up and hoping To do enough at Wentworth. I don’t think he will.

Resting up ? He has hardly played competitively in the last 3 weeks ( 4 rounds).
    Personally thought he should have stayed in Europe instead of trying to get his USTour card.
    I agree with you, I can’t see him doing enough at Wentworth to qualify now.

He's got another couple of cracks at winning an event and might nudge his way in. Can you see a captain picking a player to play in a pressure environment when he's so recently choked and double bogeyed the last to chuck his chances of automatic qualification though?

With the American team, you're mainly looking at which 4 or 5 strong candidates you leave out.

Europe seem to be one player short due to several playing themselves out of contention in recent weeks.

Stenson is the only one who has probably been looking like not making it to have picked up in recent weeks, but I don't know if a Ryder Cup in America is a place for someone who won't/ can't hit their driver.
    He’s got plenty in the bank regards getting it over the line. He will be a consideration.

Good start by Europe in the ladies version - leading 5.5 to 2.5 after day one, albeit the US aided by a controversial moment in the top fourball match.

Great effort from the ladies to win the Solheim away from home, similar to the men in terms of world rankings they should have been well beaten. 4.5 points by Leona Maguire on debut was especially impressive.

Seems like Poulter, Garcia and Rose will be the three wild card picks for the Ryder Cup if the expected nine qualify automatically.

US team announced.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    US team announced.
    No Patrick Reed? Big call.

When he was ill with bilateral pneumonia the Ryder Cup seemed a long way off but he got back to playing again at the weekend there.

The Americans aren't exactly short of good players, but Reed would always be somebody you'd expect them to find a space for.

No Patrick Reed? Big call.

When he was ill with bilateral pneumonia the Ryder Cup seemed a long way off but he got back to playing again at the weekend there.

The Americans aren't exactly short of good players, but Reed would always be somebody you'd expect them to find a space for.
    Not sure he is that popular. Had a moan at Spieth back in 2018 and by extension, Furyk.

One of the interesting aspects of this Ryder Cup will be the relationship between Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka. They really do hate each other. I'd imagine it'll get nasty if the US don't win and their row is deemed to have affected team morale.

Bryson DeChambeau & Brooks Koepka row: Fans face expulsion if they shout 'Brooksie' - BBC Sport

Maybe it will be in the US best interests if BK has to pull out due to injury.

Wiesberger gets into the automatic spots ahead of Lowry. So now it looks like three from four for the wildcards with one missing out from Garcia, Rose, Lowry and Poulter. On form Poulter should be the one to miss out but Harrington has said previously he was likely to pick Garcia and Poulter. If he sticks to that then either Rose or Lowry would miss out.

Bringing Poulter, but as a vice captain, might be one way to pick them all.
    Last edited by mayo hibee; 12-09-2021 at 05:45 PM.

Garcia, Lowry and Poulter get the picks. Rose the one to miss out.

One week to go and I can't wait. I always look at the teams and think the American's have the stronger team, but they rarely seem to play to their individual strengths. Again, this year, I think it'll go down to a few key matches that could swing either way. The fact that there will be 99% of the fans cheering the US should tip it in their favour, but let's hope that's not the case.

US Team:
    Collin Morikawa
    Dustin Johnson
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Brooks Koepka
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Cantlay
    Tony Finau
    Xander Schauffele
    Jordan Spieth
    Harris English
    Daniel Berger