hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

Password for Hibspass compromised

Hi all

My son just got a notification to his iPad that his Hibspass password (his client number basically) had appeared in a data leak and was compromised. Now, I dont know if this is some kind of phishing attempt but has anyone else received the same?

Not quite sure what damage it could do but I have told him not to do anything until I speak to the club

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi all

My son just got a notification to his iPad that his Hibspass password (his client number basically) had appeared in a data leak and was compromised. Now, I dont know if this is some kind of phishing attempt but has anyone else received the same?

Not quite sure what damage it could do but I have told him not to do anything until I speak to the club
    Since setting it up I've not really paid much attention but if it's possible I'd simply go log on and change the password. Job done. (Don't use any link in the èmail )

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Since setting it up I've not really paid much attention but if it's possible I'd simply go log on and change the password. Job done. (Don't use any link in the èmail )

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Don't think your HibsPass login can be changed, sites a walled garden though, and as far as I am aware no information is stored on a HibsPass account other than your name and client ref.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    It’s just a standard warning from Apple, someone somewhere in the world has used the same password for something else and it’s been leaked online so they advise you to change it.

It doesn’t mean the specific user id and password has been leaked anywhere.

@hibs.net private member
    Cheers for the replies, the club say they definitely didn’t send anything out and I know nothing else is linked to my son’s account as I pay for the season tickets on my account

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    Cheers for the replies, the club say they definitely didn’t send anything out and I know nothing else is linked to my son’s account as I pay for the season tickets on my account
    If it's a password he thinks is unique to him and he uses it elsewhere then you should get him to change it everywhere, because it's been involved in a leak somewhere. There have been a few cases of account name/password databases being hacked and the details sold on.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    If it's a password he thinks is unique to him and he uses it elsewhere then you should get him to change it everywhere, because it's been involved in a leak somewhere. There have been a few cases of account name/password databases being hacked and the details sold on.
    This is good advice generally, but I think in this case the Hibs Pass password is always your client ref (and can't be changed?), so it's unlikely he's used it elsewhere.

Of course if he has used his client ref as a password elsewhere he should definitely change it, not to mention start using stronger passwords…

@hibs.net private member
    Again thanks for all the advice, he doesn’t use his client number as a password anywhere else

Left by mutual consent!
    I think Apple source this data from haveibeenpwned.com. They often purely store compromised passwords so if anyone anywhere had used the 5 digits as a password and it has shown on the website, Apple will show the warning.

I would say it’s not worth worrying about to be honest.