hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Uk holidays

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We went to tobermory a couple of years back, great wee place. We went between Xmas and new year and it was still pretty busy, pubs were heaving.

Went to Harris last year and absolutely loved it, midges apart. We stayed in amazing cottage in Tarbert. Was about 10 minutes or so drive to Luskentyre beach and about 40 minutes from Stornoway. Will definitely be going back there but will maybe leave it till September in the hope the midge season is over.

Currently I'm up in Balintore, not far from Tain, with a lovely beach about 100m from the place we're staying. Decent boozer by the looks of it but I haven't been in, just been sitting in the garden instead
    We are staying just along from the isle of harris golf club, an amazing island

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just to get away from it all for a few days I brought the bairn camping to Glen Nevis.

We arrived early yesterday and thus far she has had a ball. I think as adults we overthink how much kids actually need to have fun. The playpark in the campsite is 'the best thing ever', seeing the steam train cross the Glenfinnan viaduct was 'so cool', sleeping in a tent is 'so much fun', a couple of bits of bacon cooked on a camping stove is 'the best breakfast'.

Obviously the fact we have had 2 days of glorious sunshine has helped but I've spent a fortune on days out and holidays which she has been far less enthusiastic about.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Brought or took? I blame Friends. 😉

@hibs.net private member
    Don’t suppose anyone has any tips on bringing down the cost of Blackpool pleasure beach? I’m booking for tomorrow so saving a wee bit but for 5 of us the cost is pretty steep unsure how much we’ll actually get on once inside

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Inverness for a few days. Been exploring the Black Isle, and up to Tain, then Dingwall, muir of Ord and Beauly. Weather is wonderful. 12 oil rigs in Nigg Bay.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Just back from 3 nights at the Rowan Tree Hotel Aviemore. Lovely hotel, great staff and fantastic food
    Only complaint we had was it was to hot!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Inverness for a few days. Been exploring the Black Isle, and up to Tain, then Dingwall, muir of Ord and Beauly. Weather is wonderful. 12 oil rigs in Nigg Bay.
    Jealous! We'd planned to explore the Black Isle last year and then this year after cancelling due to Covid. Maybe next year. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Jealous! We'd planned to explore the Black Isle last year and then this year after cancelling due to Covid. Maybe next year. Any tips?
    Chanonry point for the dolphins. Rosemarkie beach along to the caves is a nice walk.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Chanonry point for the dolphins. Rosemarkie beach along to the caves is a nice walk.
    Thanks, that's me off for a Google.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Just back from 3 days camping in Forres which included 2 nights heavy rain , thunder and lightning.

First day was decent and family fun was had. It went downhill from there :
    Ive never had a good camping experience.
    Always hated it but always thought I should just get on with it for the sake of the bairns.

Camped 4 times in past 2 years and its been horrendous every time :-)

Had to take the tent down this morning in the pouring rain and its now up again in the garden to dry out.

Not giving up though. Looking for another site for next week as I want value for the money ive spent so far.
    :-)
    Last edited by sleeping giant; 29-07-2021 at 03:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    We went to pontins Southport for 5 days lasted 2 was like living on the set of shameless place was rancid as well.

decent day trip to Blackpool kids loved that, spend the rest of our days doing things at home though instead of chucking money at it down there

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Ok, a bit of a delay, but I'm back.

Heading anti clockwise from the Kessock Bridge.

Blck Isle Brewery, if you like beer.

Chanonry point is a good place to spot dolphins, small car park that fills up quickly, may be better parking in fortrose (camp site?) and walking out to the point.

Rosemarkie bay, nice shallow bay that is safe for kids to swim, nice cafe, and the walk along to the caves.

Fairy Glen waterfall.

Cromarty Brewing, Davidston, if you like beer. Not in Cromarty village.

Cromarty Village.

At this point if you want to go further north there is a 2 car ferry that run in the summer to Nigg. Worth it for Tain (Glenmorangie whisky) or head west to Dingwall Dalmore distillery on the road from Nigg.

Dingwall, blink and you miss it.

Muir of Ord (guess what, whisky distillery)

Hope that gives some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Just back from 3 days camping in Forres which included 2 nights heavy rain , thunder and lightning.

First day was decent and family fun was had. It went downhill from there :
    Ive never had a good camping experience.
    Always hated it but always thought I should just get on with it for the sake of the bairns.

Camped 4 times in past 2 years and its been horrendous every time :-)

Had to take the tent down this morning in the pouring rain and its now up again in the garden to dry out.

Not giving up though. Looking for another site for next week as I want value for the money ive spent so far.
    :-)
    I visited Brodie Country Fayre on Wednesday morning and they were pumping out the car park that was well under water.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    We went to pontins Southport for 5 days lasted 2 was like living on the set of shameless place was rancid as well.

decent day trip to Blackpool kids loved that, spend the rest of our days doing things at home though instead of chucking money at it down there
    Used to love Pontins and Haven as a kid. Did a Hoseasons in Dorset the other year that was ok, but did a North Wales Haven and it was bordering on feral.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Used to love Pontins and Haven as a kid. Did a Hoseasons in Dorset the other year that was ok, but did a North Wales Haven and it was bordering on feral.
    couple years back we used Sun holidays and went to haggerston it was good nice place clean and was about £100 for 4 days so we thought we'd try it again but haven have now stopped listing on the Sun and all that was left was Pontins places we chose Southport as we knew a day trip to Blackpool would be easy enough and the drive isnt too bad on 3 young kids, it was like a Soviet housing scheme if it wasn't for the kids id have turned round immediately, a shame as the beach was nice and I stopped off for breakfast in the Town Centre before leaving and that was also really nice but the pontins place itself was unreal

couple years back we used Sun holidays and went to haggerston it was good nice place clean and was about £100 for 4 days so we thought we'd try it again but haven have now stopped listing on the Sun and all that was left was Pontins places we chose Southport as we knew a day trip to Blackpool would be easy enough and the drive isnt too bad on 3 young kids, it was like a Soviet housing scheme if it wasn't for the kids id have turned round immediately, a shame as the beach was nice and I stopped off for breakfast in the Town Centre before leaving and that was also really nice but the pontins place itself was unreal
    Pontins really does seem to be in a terminal decline. There are always stories about the state the parks are in and I've heard a few Similar stories to yours from friends who have been.

Like you I've had positive experiences at Haven and wouldn't hesitate to go there again, albeit not at the prices they are charging this year.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Yeah Southport itself is actually really quite nice, albeit Blackpool tends to be our go-to for a walk as it’s a much longer promenade.

We’re hopefully doing a bit of a tour in a couple of weeks but sticking to hotels for a couple of nights apiece rather than basing in a caravan park for a week. Fraction of the cost too.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Pontins really does seem to be in a terminal decline. There are always stories about the state the parks are in and I've heard a few Similar stories to yours from friends who have been.

Like you I've had positive experiences at Haven and wouldn't hesitate to go there again, albeit not at the prices they are charging this year.
    Yeah the Haven place we where at was lovely and we would probably have just done the same again if it was more affordable but it was astronomical in comparison to the previous visit, I'd have happily paid double the amount as the visit was through the sun but it was way more, we ended up paying £156 for pontins through the Sun but honestly it was rotten, we cleaned it and also took our own bedding but it was really bad, that will probably put us off Pontins for good now to be honest.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I went to haggerston a few months back, really couldn't fault it. Didn't spend any great deal of time in the complex, but what we did was fine. Great place to explore the areas around it, holy island. Seahouses, farne Islands boat trip, Alnwick etc.

Just back from a few night camping outside Inverness. I've been up that was a fair few times, usually to Aviemore but we went exploring further up this time. Ullapool to achmelvich beach, and down to fort Augustus, fort William and Glenfinnan viaduct. Simply stunning wee places up that way.

On way to London now for a few nights, never been and the exception of the Warner studios, can't say I'm looking forward to it that much

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I went to haggerston a few months back, really couldn't fault it. Didn't spend any great deal of time in the complex, but what we did was fine. Great place to explore the areas around it, holy island. Seahouses, farne Islands boat trip, Alnwick etc.

Just back from a few night camping outside Inverness. I've been up that was a fair few times, usually to Aviemore but we went exploring further up this time. Ullapool to achmelvich beach, and down to fort Augustus, fort William and Glenfinnan viaduct. Simply stunning wee places up that way.

On way to London now for a few nights, never been and the exception of the Warner studios, can't say I'm looking forward to it that much
    Did you find the Hermits Castle on the rocks at Achmelvic Beach? Great place to explore and right beside Suilven my favourite Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Did you find the Hermits Castle on the rocks at Achmelvic Beach? Great place to explore and right beside Suilven my favourite Mountain
    Is that the concrete folly?

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Is that the concrete folly?
    Sure is, love it up there

Sure is, love it up there
    It features in a short story in the Bloody Scotland book, think it's Val Mcdermid that wrote it.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Nae mate, drove an hour or so from ullapool, harr blew in and was freezing. Sat on beach bfor half an hour, attempted to go in the sea but was littered with jelly fish, some blue and purple looking mofos which I took to being stinging ones and we called it a day and headed back. We purchased a decent 6 man tent and plan on doing more camping so defo will be heading up again and trying to stay nearer up that way/the NC 500 route.

On a side note just back from London and surprised myself in bloody loving it. Not at all what I expected and really enjoyed myself. Camden town is something else, shame I had the bairn with me is all I'm saying 😂

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Nae mate, drove an hour or so from ullapool, harr blew in and was freezing. Sat on beach bfor half an hour, attempted to go in the sea but was littered with jelly fish 😂

saw my first ever live jellyfish standing on Ullapool Pier, hunners of them 40 years ago

doubt they're the same ones right enough, just sayin :)

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    saw my first ever live jellyfish standing on Ullapool Pier, hunners of them 40 years ago

doubt they're the same ones right enough, just sayin :)
    Standing? I've only ever seen them floating about in the water.

Ok, a bit of a delay, but I'm back.

Heading anti clockwise from the Kessock Bridge.

Blck Isle Brewery, if you like beer.

Chanonry point is a good place to spot dolphins, small car park that fills up quickly, may be better parking in fortrose (camp site?) and walking out to the point.

Rosemarkie bay, nice shallow bay that is safe for kids to swim, nice cafe, and the walk along to the caves.

Fairy Glen waterfall.

Cromarty Brewing, Davidston, if you like beer. Not in Cromarty village.

Cromarty Village.

At this point if you want to go further north there is a 2 car ferry that run in the summer to Nigg. Worth it for Tain (Glenmorangie whisky) or head west to Dingwall Dalmore distillery on the road from Nigg.

Dingwall, blink and you miss it.

Muir of Ord (guess what, whisky distillery)

Hope that gives some ideas.
    Cheers MY, that's useful.

@hibs.net private member
    Does anyone have any recommendations for this year? Finding everywhere a bit pricey - based on this thread last year we booked for London and it's comfortably double the price this year based on the same trains, hotels and dates.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for this year? Finding everywhere a bit pricey - based on this thread last year we booked for London and it's comfortably double the price this year based on the same trains, hotels and dates.
    You'd be cheaper flying to Prague ect than a weekend in London all in, so overpriced their just now

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    You'd be cheaper flying to Prague ect than a weekend in London all in, so overpriced their just now
    Yeah - considering that.