hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uk holidays

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can't compare costs in Scotland and Turkey though without taking in to account the low wages and poor conditions that exist there and in many of the other traditionally cheap hotspots we all visit. Prices are inflated this year in Scotland due to extremely high demand but in normal years you do get what you pay for.

And its a proper holiday, not a staycation.
    I totally get many of the reasons for it but when price is a consideration then it's difficult to make a case for Scotland sometimes.

We were out as a family of 3 on Sunday. We stopped for a late lunch. 3 bang average fish & chips, 2 adults and a child portion, 3 soft drinks then we moved on elsewhere for 3 ice creams then a beer garden for a pint and another 2 soft drinks. Add in bus fares and I didn't have much left out of £100 for that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Off to York in a couple of weeks for a few days. First break for a few years that it's just me and the wife since our daughter was born.

Really looking forward to it, especially as all restrictions should be lifted dan south by then.

@hibs.net private member
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-axed-24487954

Will all amber countries turning green change peoples travel plans to abroad, or are you keeping it uk this year still

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-axed-24487954

Will all amber countries turning green change peoples travel plans to abroad, or are you keeping it uk this year still
    Going to try and get away in the autumn. Do you think there’s a chance by then, we won’t pre and post visit COVID tests

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Going to try and get away in the autumn. Do you think there’s a chance by then, we won’t pre and post visit COVID tests
    Not sure, there's an update on testing on the 30th of July. People in travel are assuming it will eventually be less testing, perhaps a couple of lft when return and pcr if that fails. Obviously eventually we will get back to none. Biggest thing is now Scotland makes you go to a preferred provider. They over double the price of England and most of Europe, hopefully that stops

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    We had a few days away at Callander during the week. Boy is it expensive now, compared to the last couple of times we've been.

Dunno if it was just my mood* but it looks a bit more rundown and miserable than I remember as well.

* Grumpy? Moi?
    We came back through Glencoe so stopped in Callander for some lunch, your right looks a bit run down lots of shops haven’t survived covid by the looks of it not even the Greggs! We did find a lovely place just off the high street think it was called Deli Ecosse food was lovely and nice place.

Highly recommend this place - just spent 4 nights here and loved it. Already booked up to go again.

https://www.vindomoracountrylodges.co.uk/

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Just back from a week based in Exmouth, enjoyed the piece n quiet and it was very relaxing. Great to visit other places in Devon, which are top class.

We were in Dumfries and Galloway last week and it has to be the most underrated area In Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    We came back through Glencoe so stopped in Callander for some lunch, your right looks a bit run down lots of shops haven’t survived covid by the looks of it not even the Greggs! We did find a lovely place just off the high street think it was called Deli Ecosse food was lovely and nice place.

Been and there and you're right, it's very nice.

On PB's point about the cost of simply going out for dinner in the UK versus elsewhere, me and Mrs M were actually just discussing that this morning.

We went for a meal yesterday at an Italian restaurant in Glasgow and we were comparing the costs to what we used to pay in Munich... which is not especially renowned for being cheap... and we reckon it costs us between 30-50% more to eat out now than when we stayed over there.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 10-07-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Just back from two weeks in Cornwall. This is the fortnight to do it if you’re planning around Scottish school holidays, End of June start of July it’s still relatively peaceful, but you could really feel the roads filling up over the last few days and I think when the English holidays start properly it will be absolutely rammed. So I’m not sure it’s a recommendation as such, maybe for 2022. My first time in the ancient leg of England and I’ll be back without a doubt. Beautiful, largely unspoiled, great immaculately clean beaches great food. But as others have said eating out in the UK is more expensive than the rest of the world, and not by a small amount.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 10-07-2021 at 09:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    We were in Dumfries and Galloway last week and it has to be the most underrated area In Scotland.
    Had a few holidays at Kippford/Rockcliffe over the years

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    In Pitlochry until next Saturday with the wife and dog. Weather OK. Supposed to improve as the week goes on. Plenty of drink in our Log Cabin and loads of walks with the dog which will include many visits to the local pubs. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Off to York in a couple of weeks for a few days. First break for a few years that it's just me and the wife since our daughter was born.

Really looking forward to it, especially as all restrictions should be lifted dan south by then.
    We went to York for a night last September. Actually quite a similar vibe to Edinburgh in some senses, with everything designed around the old architecture instead of just bulldozing it. Expensive though. Like Edinburgh, I suppose.

We had five nights in Llandudno a couple of weeks ago. Lovely and relaxing. Weather wasn’t great, but there’s something so relaxing about hearing the sea while you’re in bed.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    In Pitlochry until next Saturday with the wife and dog. Weather OK. Supposed to improve as the week goes on. Plenty of drink in our Log Cabin and loads of walks with the dog which will include many visits to the local pubs. 👍
    Hope you enjoy your time here. 👍

The Moulin Inn and the old mill I know are dog friendly.

My yarn studio is open today, 11 to 3, and Thursday to Saturday 11 to 4 😉
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 11-07-2021 at 08:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Hope you enjoy your time here. 👍

The Moulin Inn and the old mill I know are dog friendly.

My yarn studio is open today, 11 to 3, and Thursday to Saturday 11 to 4 😉
    Cheers. I'll try and pop by during one of our trips to the Moulin Inn. I'm sure we'll be there a few times during the week. 😀 🍺

First Team Breakthrough
    Me and my family are heading down south to Newark on Trent area tommorow not far from Nottingham, anyone know of anywhere decent to stop off midway for a bit of lunch, want to avoid service stations, nice wee villagey place would be good, going to be leaving early (if I can get kids up)

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakhog1 View Post
    Me and my family are heading down south to Newark on Trent area tommorow not far from Nottingham, anyone know of anywhere decent to stop off midway for a bit of lunch, want to avoid service stations, nice wee villagey place would be good, going to be leaving early (if I can get kids up)
    There are 2 nice village pubs near Thirsk that my mate frequents a lot, the Fox and Hounds in a village called Carthorpe and the Black Horse in Kirklington, both not far off the A1M.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    There are 2 nice village pubs near Thirsk that my mate frequents a lot, the Fox and Hounds in a village called Carthorpe and the Black Horse in Kirklington, both not far off the A1M.
    That's great, just had a wee look at the pubs and they get fantastic reviews, would rather go there than some drab service station, look really accessible too. Thanks

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakhog1 View Post
    That's great, just had a wee look at the pubs and they get fantastic reviews, would rather go there than some drab service station, look really accessible too. Thanks
    No probs, never been in them myself but he's always raving about them on Facebook.

@hibs.net private member
    We have a week of high summer weather coming up.

Almost guaranteed !!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Just been over on mull for the last week staying near tobermory, was really good getting the kids out and about, we took the kayak and paddleboard with us and they were loving it, found some cracking beaches and walks as well, next to no internet or phone signal either which was a bonus

Promising Youngster
    Heading down to the Lake District (staying at Ambleside) for the first time next week. Any recommendations of walks/restaurants etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Just been over on mull for the last week staying near tobermory, was really good getting the kids out and about, we took the kayak and paddleboard with us and they were loving it, found some cracking beaches and walks as well, next to no internet or phone signal either which was a bonus
    We were there last October, staying at the end of the woodland walk on the north of Tobermory. What a cracking spot it was. My favourite part was the north of the island round Calgary bay. Seafood heaven as well.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    We were there last October, staying at the end of the woodland walk on the north of Tobermory. What a cracking spot it was. My favourite part was the north of the island round Calgary bay. Seafood heaven as well.
    We were up in the tobermory campsite, went to calgary a couple of times with the kayak and paddleboard, seen our first sea eagle this year as well, been to mull a few times now and that the 1st we have seen, isle of harris and then barra next for us

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Highly recommend this place - just spent 4 nights here and loved it. Already booked up to go again.

https://www.vindomoracountrylodges.co.uk/
    That looks brilliant…but the blurb on their website states they do not accept bookings for single sex groups…
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    That looks brilliant…but the blurb on their website states they do not accept bookings for single sex groups…
    That's a bummer if you want sex with multiple people 😉
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

We were up in the tobermory campsite, went to calgary a couple of times with the kayak and paddleboard, seen our first sea eagle this year as well, been to mull a few times now and that the 1st we have seen, isle of harris and then barra next for us
    Quality, it sounds like the weather up there has been unbelievable as well. Enjoy yourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    It's specifically stag and hen parties that they don't accept, if you go further into the terms and conditions you'll see it talking about single sex parties in terms of accepting bookings from them.

It certainly doesn't strike me as a place that discriminates against homosexuals.

If you're going away for a "lads" trip with 3 or 4 mates you may have some convincing to do before you'll be accepted but two guys or two girls in a relationship would have no problem being accepted from what I've seen of it.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    We went to tobermory a couple of years back, great wee place. We went between Xmas and new year and it was still pretty busy, pubs were heaving.

Went to Harris last year and absolutely loved it, midges apart. We stayed in amazing cottage in Tarbert. Was about 10 minutes or so drive to Luskentyre beach and about 40 minutes from Stornoway. Will definitely be going back there but will maybe leave it till September in the hope the midge season is over.

Currently I'm up in Balintore, not far from Tain, with a lovely beach about 100m from the place we're staying. Decent boozer by the looks of it but I haven't been in, just been sitting in the garden instead