hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree 100% with you.

Some people will just hate him no matter what he does and other folk hate him just cause they like Messi. So weird. Not saying anyone on this thread is like that by the way!
    Some Messi and Ronaldo fans are hilarious. It’s like they take any compliment for the other player as a personal insult to them.

Most people can appreciate the sublime and very different talents of both

I feel privileged to have seen both in the flesh.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Some Messi and Ronaldo fans are hilarious. It’s like they take any compliment for the other player as a personal insult to them.

Likewise. I had hoped to get over to see both them play again last season but COVID put paid to that. It’s definitely something I aim to do ASAP now.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    I think Ronaldo is fitter, stronger and will likely be able to play on longer at the top level if he chooses to. There’s not a lot in it, but I would say Messi has a little more natural talent, but Ronaldo works a little harder.
    I think Ronaldo will play on until the next world cup and then call it a day. Messi will be with Inter Miami then and will see out his career there.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Feels like if Messi had Ronaldo’s work ethic and approach, there wouldn’t be a discussion to be had.

Ronaldo can say he’s the best if he likes, he’s certainly got the stats to back it up! Whether he is or not is always going to be a subjective, emotional question to ask, but he’s up there for sure.
    I don’t know like. I’m not sure what else Messi could do to improve his game other than grow a foot taller in order to be better in the air? *

Just because he doesn’t take his top off to reveal his six-pack all that often doesn’t mean he hasn’t worked as hard. And I say that as someone who has immense respect for Ronaldo’s game, and don’t hate him as a person either.

*and probably lose some of his other attributes from being small and nippy

I think Messi is the best player I’ve ever seen kick a football. He’s like a freak in the way he plays. But there’s no denying Ronaldo is an absolute f****ng machine and his record speaks for itself.

Ronaldo will finish his career as the best of all time in my opinion. Absolutely dedicated to his craft. Barely ever injured shows how much he takes care of his body. Legend.

Left by mutual consent!
    Diego is the greatest but Ronaldo is not bad

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post

It’s the way of things these days.

No discussion, just entrenched arguments from two opposing camps. Like, say, Scottish independence or whether a Tesla is a good car.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    It’s the way of things these days.

No discussion, just entrenched arguments from two opposing camps. Like, say, Scottish independence or whether a Tesla is a good car.
    That's easy. Tesla is a good car if you want independence 😉
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    Ronaldo will finish his career as the best of all time in my opinion. Absolutely dedicated to his craft. Barely ever injured shows how much he takes care of his body. Legend.
    Yep Ronaldo best ever for me as well

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Maybe he’s reflected and changed his approach to what he should be promoting?
    No doubt influenced since he became a Dad.

His commitment to being the best is second to none. Of course he has natural talent but his work ethic, drive and willingness to adapt and grow are what sets him apart.

Alex Ferguson talked at length about this in his leadership book. Ronaldo was/is obsessed with sports science and making marginal gains. He trains like a beast, manages his weight to the kg and lives the life.

If I was forced to pick I'd still say I prefer Messi but Ronaldo is phenomenal. He's still performing at near his peak at 36 years old. There is a lesson there for every young player. Put the work in and you will squeeze every last drop off your ability out.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He wiped £4 billion off the value of Coca Cola after taking one of their bottles off the table at a presser and encouraged people to drink water.

Legend.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He wiped £4 billion off the value of Coca Cola after taking one of their bottles off the table at a presser and encouraged people to drink water.

Legend.
    Tried it. Ruined my rum and coke....

Tosser.

Ronaldo is the better of the two players IMO. Messi is phenomenal, Barcelona build their teams around him to amplify his talent. Don’t think Ronaldo has ever had that luxury or stability, certainly not at Real where there was a new bunch of players every year or so. All my opinion of course, both of them incredible and it’s probably the most subjective thing we can debate on, certainly from this generation of players.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Ronaldo is the better of the two players IMO. Messi is phenomenal, Barcelona build their teams around him to amplify his talent. Don’t think Ronaldo has ever had that luxury or stability, certainly not at Real where there was a new bunch of players every year or so. All my opinion of course, both of them incredible and it’s probably the most subjective thing we can debate on, certainly from this generation of players.
    That's not true. Ronaldo had Benzema, Bale, Kroos, Marcelo, Isco, Ramos, Modric, Casemiro, Carvahal for years.

Barcelona are the ones who have had no consistency, especially since Neymar left

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    That's not true. Ronaldo had Benzema, Bale, Kroos, Marcelo, Isco, Ramos, Modric, Casemiro, Carvahal for years.

Barcelona are the ones who have had no consistency, especially since Neymar left
    Andres Iniesta

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Andres Iniesta
    What about him?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    What about him?
    Always felt that Iniesta was the mortar for the bricks at Barca

They have really missed him

Neymar is too much of an individual but brilliant

Messi is simply a genius

I was just trying to help you

Chill

I would like to have seen Messi try a different league. I think his style is very much suited to Barcelona and would be interesting to see how he got on elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Always felt that Iniesta was the mortar for the bricks at Barca

They have really missed him

Neymar is too much of an individual but brilliant

Messi is simply a genius

I was just trying to help you

Chill
    The inconsistency since Neymar left has been because they spent terribly trying to replace him, Dembele and Coutinho being the big ones.

Neymar was a huge loss for Barcelona.

Of course Iniesta was a big miss as well.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    I’m not sure anyone could say that Real Madrid haven’t built their teams around Ronaldo as well. He had an incredible midfield behind him at Real and he was left on penalties and free kicks even though his record should never have allowed it (a bit like Messi with penalties).

There was an article the other day where Mourinho was saying that Ronaldo absolutely adored Benzema because he played an unselfish role that was mainly based around getting all they could out of Ronaldo. Think the suggestion was from Mourinho that he’d play a similar role for Mbappe at the Euros.

To be fair, when you’ve got players with their talent then building your team to get the best out them makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I would like to have seen Messi try a different league. I think his style is very much suited to Barcelona and would be interesting to see how he got on elsewhere.
    He'd have ripped the pish out of any defence, the same he does in every competition just now. Although I agree it would be entertaining to see him play for another team, I'm quite happy that he's been completely loyal (or whatever you want to call it) to Barca.. so far

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Tried it. Ruined my rum and coke....

Tosser.
    Is that not life telling you to drink something better?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

I never realised Ronaldo is 3 years older than Messi.

Be interesting to see if Messi is still performing to the level Ronaldo is now in 3 years time.

Legend.

You know he’s done sponsorship deals with Coca Cola in the past, yes? Plus lots of other junk food.

His sudden distaste for product placement is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    His commitment to being the best is second to none. Of course he has natural talent but his work ethic, drive and willingness to adapt and grow are what sets him apart.

Alex Ferguson talked at length about this in his leadership book. Ronaldo was/is obsessed with sports science and making marginal gains. He trains like a beast, manages his weight to the kg and lives the life.

If I was forced to pick I'd still say I prefer Messi but Ronaldo is phenomenal. He's still performing at near his peak at 36 years old. There is a lesson there for every young player. Put the work in and you will squeeze every last drop off your ability out.

He’s a very different player now than when he was younger. But that’s the only way to prolong a career at the top I guess.

Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    He'd have ripped the pish out of any defence, the same he does in every competition just now. Although I agree it would be entertaining to see him play for another team, I'm quite happy that he's been completely loyal (or whatever you want to call it) to Barca.. so far
    Yeah i've no doubt he would have. I'm quite pleased he didn't go to a PSG or Man City tbh although Barca and their tippy tappy pish did/do my head in .

Could still do a job for us.

I'm not sure it really matters if he used to do Coca Cola ads. So what?

People change. When I was in my 20s I knocked back 25-30 pints every weekend and had an unhealthy relationship with plenty other substances as well. From a Friday to a Sunday I survived on the odd take away, alcohol and **** knows what in powder and pill form. I wouldn't endorse living like that to anyone now because I know the toll it took on me physically and mentally.

Obviously I don't have the reach of someone like Ronaldo but if he has walked away from endorsing junk food and the like then surely that's a good thing? If others follow suit then even better. I'm not sure being a different person from 5, 10 or 15 years ago makes someone a hypocrite. I'd understand the accusation if he was still promoting Coca Cola but as far as I'm aware that is no longer the case.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years