hibs.net Messageboard

Andy Murray - Queens

Murray beats Benoit Paire 6-3 6-2 in his 1st round match at queen's . Hopefully the long lay off works in his favour and he can have a decent crack at this and Wimbledon. Good start

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Up against Berrettini, no 1 seed today. Tough one.

Dan Evans just wins in straight sets.

Murray coming up next and the winner plays Evans in the quarter finals.

First set to Berrettini - 6-3.

Murray not playing well.

Murray loses 3-6 3-6.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Murray loses 3-6 3-6.
    Is there any point in Murray carrying on now, as he's clearly not able to get back to where he was and i cant see him settling for playing and losing in early rounds of every tournament.

He's been amazing, but surely those injuries have caught up with him and it's time to call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Is there any point in Murray carrying on now, as he's clearly not able to get back to where he was and i cant see him settling for playing and losing in early rounds of every tournament.

He's been amazing, but surely those injuries have caught up with him and it's time to call it a day.
    Must be getting close to that point.

Having said that, Berettini is #9 in the world and Murray has played next to no competitive tennis. If he can get through a couple of rounds at Wimbers he might be able to at least have a decent swansong run there. Trouble is, he's going to have no seeding.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

I agree, let's hope he doesn't go on playing as long as Steve Davis did at snooker, what's the point?

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I agree, let's hope he doesn't go on playing as long as Steve Davis did at snooker, what's the point?
    He says hes enjoying it so I suppose thats the point...Once the invites dry up that might not be the case

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Berrettini's serve wasn't far from unplayable today. Anyone would have struggled against that, if his next 3 games are as good he wins the tournament easily.

Not a great day for Murray but not a disgrace either.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Steve Davis was still ranked in the top 16 when he turned 50. Probably the main reason he hung around. Andy's problem is quite different.

I think that as long as Murray feels healthy he'll keep playing for as long as he can.

I think it's quite clear that his days of winning Grand Slams are over but he seems to just love playing tennis.

As someone said already maybe when the wildcards for Grand Slams and Queen's etc stop being handed out he'll feel differently but at the moment he just seems to love being on the court and playing the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Steve Davis was still ranked in the top 16 when he turned 50. Probably the main reason he hung around. Andy's problem is quite different.
    Never won anything for years but still made a few quid in the process. Had a stellar career so good luck to him.

Great tournament for Cameron Norrie. Took Berretini to a third set in the final but the Italian's serve was crazily good with 19 aces.

When he first returned from one of his injuries/operations he looked to really enjoy, and was successful, playing doubles. Obviously not the same but maybe he can continue to enjoy and succeed in the game that way.