hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be fair did Pele ever score in the lowland league? I believe not case closed.
    No matter how many times you repeat it it’ll never be something that has genuinely been suggested by anyone on this thread.

😎

2. Log in to remove the advert

It was a thing of beauty. Schick had already decided what he was going to attempt if the opportunity arrived and delivered it first time. Most players couldn't pull it off after umpteen practice tries never mind in real match time. The keeper played his part in it but Schick deserves all the plaudits as it was football magic.

Was at the game today, 9847 announced as attendance, really? Seemed like so much more, atmosphere was brilliant, we were up for it… Pity the players packed it in

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Absolute madness that Marshall was so far out his goal. Hell of a strike with the ball going wide when he hits it but a keeper on the edge of the box at the time we lose possession saves it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    That could never be the case for me. I'm still angry about the cup final but I'm over a Scotland defeat pretty much as soon as the final whistle goes. Hibs run through the blood but international games like today have always struck me as more of a one-off jolly where a lot of people who otherwise don't have much interest can join in and become football fans for the day. All good fun but not worth agonising over. Hibs provide more than enough agony for me to be going on with!

That's really well put and pretty much how I feel.
    I watched every Hibs game this season, with many kick offs 02.30am over here. I'm so underwhelmed by the Scottish international side I don't even watch the games. The most interesting thing for me was how many people thought Scotland would win 🤔

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Stephen O’Donnell is the worst player in that squad, repeat my earlier suggestion that Paul mcginn is hard done by to not be selected and only hasn’t because he didn’t play for Kilmarnock under Steve Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    That's really well put and pretty much how I feel.
    I watched every Hibs game this season, with many kick offs 02.30am over here. I'm so underwhelmed by the Scottish international side I don't even watch the games. The most interesting thing for me was how many people thought Scotland would win 🤔
    Each to their own but how can you not get excited about your national side playing in a major competition for the first time in a generation? I was as buzzing yesterday for the game as I have been for many a Hibs game and I'll be the same when Friday rolls round.

We had a very good chance of winning that game yesterday. Be as well packing in football if you can't get up for occasions like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    Stephen O’Donnell is the worst player in that squad, repeat my earlier suggestion that Paul mcginn is hard done by to not be selected and only hasn’t because he didn’t play for Kilmarnock under Steve Clarke
    Paul Mcginn has never played right wing back as far as I know. I'm not sure he would do much better.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Paul Mcginn has never played right wing back as far as I know. I'm not sure he would do much better.
    I would do better and so would you and I've never met you

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Paul McGinn is a dependable, solid Scottish premiership right back, he is nowhere near the quality needed to play at an international tournament.

O’Donnell might well be the worst player in the squad, but he wasn’t culpable for any of the problems yesterday and he was a good out ball when the Czechs pressed our back line in to playing it back to Marshall.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyFantastic View Post
    Was at the game today, 9847 announced as attendance, really? Seemed like so much more, atmosphere was brilliant, we were up for it… Pity the players packed it in
    Interesting, BBC pundits said the very opposite. Fans went missing after the 2nd goal

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Interesting, BBC pundits said the very opposite. Fans went missing after the 2nd goal
    That was Fletcher after the game, I thought he was out of order at the time. I thought the noise from the fans, considering how few were there too, was good.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I don’t think there’s much between the 2 of them, neither are good enough for Scotland.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Each to their own but how can you not get excited about your national side playing in a major competition for the first time in a generation? I was as buzzing yesterday for the game as I have been for many a Hibs game and I'll be the same when Friday rolls round.

We had a very good chance of winning that game yesterday. Be as well packing in football if you can't get up for occasions like that.
    With respect that's nonsense. At least where I'm concerned. Don't know how old you are but you sound like my son...and that's perfectly OK. I remember all the Scottish sides with really class players even though as a team they underperformed. Years of failure deadens the enthusiasm though. If your age puts you in a category where this is an accomplishment then good on you, Scotland needs fans like you. For me and plenty others my age we're a bit beaten and broken with it all.

Just as an afterthought....you'll never hear me slagging the team or individual players like many so called fans. I know their level and expect nothing.
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 15-06-2021 at 07:00 AM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I don’t mind managers having players that they trust to do a job.

Unfortunately O’Donnell absolutely failed to repay that trust yesterday. He looked so far out of his depth… him tackling Christie was even more embarrassing than the second goal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    It was a thing of beauty. Schick had already decided what he was going to attempt if the opportunity arrived and delivered it first time. Most players couldn't pull it off after umpteen practice tries never mind in real match time. The keeper played his part in it but Schick deserves all the plaudits as it was football magic.
    WTF was Marshall doing so far forward? What the hell did he hope to achieve from that position except leaving his goal wide open? Even without a great lob, they might have beaten him from a number of break positions in a number of ways. Keeper should never have been far from his box.

That was our chance to progress yesterday and we blew it.

England will beat us comfortably without breaking sweat and then the Croats will win a rather drab game at Hampden, probably 2-0.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't score a goal let alone get a point.

First Team Breakthrough
    Thoughts on the game is that we've played much worse recently and won. This was a step up against a side with good experience who weren't going to crumble under a bit of sustained pressure. We played well for large period of the game, created more than enough chances to win the game and ultimately paid the price for our lack of finishing.

If this game came 2nd or 3rd in the group our nerves might have settled and we would have been in a much better place to beat a team like the Czechs.

Team selection aside which was clearly not right, I thought it was a necessary learning experience for that squad of players. They will be better for it in the years to come. Building an international team takes time (see England) so I hope Clarke sticks around for the forseeable.

P.S. We probably win that game with Tierney.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    That was our chance to progress yesterday and we blew it.

England will beat us comfortably without breaking sweat and then the Croats will win a rather drab game at Hampden, probably 2-0.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't score a goal let alone get a point.
    That was my prediction at the outset.

I expect nothing….and receive it in abundance!

Saw the highlights I don't agree with SC that there was little between the teams, they also had plenty of chances.
    What's really disappointing is that you get the feeling that the likes of Wales would have got a better result, for the first game it was far too open.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

Unfortunately O’Donnell absolutely failed to repay that trust yesterday. He looked so far out of his depth… him tackling Christie was even more embarrassing than the second goal imo.
    Can't remember who was commentating but he said as a wingback playing with a player in front if him who naturally cuts inside onto his stronger left foot, it was poor decision making from O'Donnell, he should be looking to show on the outside.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

Patterson should be in for the last 2 games. As should gilmour.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feed McGraw View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was on the edge of the centre circle not his box.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/57475435

This shows where he was when.

Marshall is about 15m from the halfway line when Hendry tries the shot and turns to start running back and is at the penalty box when the shot is hit.

I think the problem was he had to keep an eye on the ball while still knowing where the goal is.
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 15-06-2021 at 07:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Just listening to the BBC radio breakfast show - someone
    tweeted in saying that it was an easy open goal and the studio hust started laughing. Some of them have played international football and won the Premiership.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    As posted above, another professional centre forward in Alan Shearer also said that it wasn’t technically anything special. So there’s obviously a bit of debate even between the professionals!
    I’m with you CalumH. It’s a shot to nothing because our keeper handed him the opportunity on a plate. If he misses the target it’s no big deal. Czech R are already a goal up so a goal at this stage seals the game. Miss and they’re still in control. No pressure on the striker but if it goes in people talk about it fir years to come.
    Marshall is a top keeper but I’ve noticed this tendency of his to wander up the park every game. Nothing new in the habit and opposition coaches must see that too.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Can't remember who was commentating but he said as a wingback playing with a player in front if him who naturally cuts inside onto his stronger left foot, it was poor decision making from O'Donnell, he should be looking to show on the outside.
    I had absolutely no idea what O'Donnell was thinking there. Was pretty clear the sort of movement Christie does in that position to take his space was ridiculous as was bringing a Czech player into that area also. Should have completely stayed out or stayed wide to give Christie an option back to run inside was bizarre. I would personally play Forrest in his position on Friday.

It's very different pinging a 50 yard pass to someone compared to trying to score, the two don't really compare.

Plus it's not as simple as just hitting the target. If you take the still from where the ball crosses the line, he's having to pitch the ball - at pace - between the bar and where Marshall ends up. There's hardly any margin for error from 50 yards.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    I recall Pele trying the same thing and missing in the 1970 World Cup.
    Aye, but that was with a real football, not one of the fly aways they use now.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Adams needs to start over Dykes. Gave us a bit of lift when he first came into the side but he’s just not very good. A poor finisher

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Adams needs to start over Dykes. Gave us a bit of lift when he first came into the side but he’s just not very good. A poor finisher
    Agree. Dykes isn’t up to it.

There should be a lot of changes for the next game.