hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Drybourgh Cup Offside Rule

Unfortunately only folk over a certain age will remember this, a line was drawn straight across the edge of the box to the touch lines and you couldn’t be offside outside the box, do you think that would be suitable for the modern game?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately only folk over a certain age will remember this, a line was drawn straight across the edge of the box to the touch lines and you couldn’t be offside outside the box, do you think that would be suitable for the modern game?
    I'd like to see it as football is dull as ditch water much of the time. I suppose you might get the poacher situation which is one of the reasons offside exists but you would also stop team compressing the game as much and that may lead to more space in the middle of the park

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I'd like to see it as football is dull as ditch water much of the time. I suppose you might get the poacher situation which is one of the reasons offside exists but you would also stop team compressing the game as much and that may lead to more space in the middle of the park
    I've been saying this for so many years at the end of the day you go to the football to see your team win but you also go to see goals, and not be ruled offside

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    I can remember the offside rule in the Drybrough Cup but was just a nipper. Anything to make the game more entertaining is fine by me. This evening's game The Netherlands v Ukraine was an entertaining match which is rare for a group stage match. However all the experts in the studio reckon most of the goals were preventable. Too much negativity in the game now and the players are stifled by excessive coaching to stop the opponent from scoring and not how to score. What was a simple game in that the team with most goals wins is now complicated where every player must have defensive capabilities to stop a reverse and have the knack of snatching a goal in rare attacking move to win a match by a solitary goal. I'm sure Brazil won a couple of World Cups where they couldn't defend! Those were the days! 🙄

First Team Regular
    One rule I’d change is to bring back ‘obstruction’ when the ball is going towards the goal line and the defender stops and blocks the attacker from collecting it.

It would make the pitch bigger, these days players are much fitter and close the spaces down quickly as observed by a previous poster, I'd like to see it trialled in one of the cups.

I remember they played with that same adjusted offside in the League Cup in !974, suited attacking teams. I remember Hibs v Rangers at ER, Arthur Duncan stayed upfield and patrolled the 18 yard Line, Scotlands player of the year,Sandy Jardine was given the job of marking him, Arthur kept switching from Left wing to Right Wing, Jardine had to keep chasing him, got P****d off as he couldnt keep up with Arthur, was arguing with Jock Wallace to get him to put somebody on the other side to share his workload. Hibs won 3-1 that day, and went on to reach the Final, losing 6-3 to Celtic, who had a great attacking team as well at that time.

I think it would have the opposite effect from making the game more open. It would increase space in the middle of the park and decrease it towards the goal areas. Dull games are rarely dull because of teams playing an effective offside trap.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    One rule I’d change is to bring back ‘obstruction’ when the ball is going towards the goal line and the defender stops and blocks the attacker from collecting it.
    I see this mentioned a lot but don't understand why this is specifically a problem rather than shielding the ball generally.

How is it different than what a Doidge or a Dykes is asked to do when the ball is played up to them with their back to goal?

The rule change I'd like to see trialled is one taken from basketball. If you're in an opponents half, you can't pass the ball back into your own half. That should encourage more attacking play and a high press when defending.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I see this mentioned a lot but don't understand why this is specifically a problem rather than shielding the ball generally.

How is it different than what a Doidge or a Dykes is asked to do when the ball is played up to them with their back to goal?
    I've certainly mentioned it before as a pet hate of mine. I think defenders should only be allowed to shield a ball if they've touched it. If they haven't touched it and have no intention of doing so, then blocking an opponent's access to the ball should be obstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I've certainly mentioned it before as a pet hate of mine. I think defenders should only be allowed to shield a ball if they've touched it. If they haven't touched it and have no intention of doing so, then blocking an opponent's access to the ball should be obstruction.
    But surely the principle of football is getting the ball to go where you want it to go to your team's advantage?

It just feels to me like this would be another example of different rules for defenders and attackers. I know we want more goals but let's make them work for it at least!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    But surely the principle of football is getting the ball to go where you want it to go to your team's advantage?

It just feels to me like this would be another example of different rules for defenders and attackers. I know we want more goals but let's make them work for it at least!
    If you have never touched the ball then blocking someone else from playing it has to be obstruction, whether it is defending or attacking. The rule would be the same for all players.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    If you have never touched the ball then blocking someone else from playing it has to be obstruction, whether it is defending or attacking. The rule would be the same for all players.
    But you'd be permitted to obstruct an opposition player if you have touched the ball? Surely that would favour attackers?

But you'd be permitted to obstruct an opposition player if you have touched the ball? Surely that would favour attackers?
    That's what happens just now though. The most obvous being when trying to play out the final few minutes where an attacker takes the ball to the corner flag and stands with his back to the defender. The thing is though he's already touched the ball.

@hibs.net private member
    "FIFA Law 12 – Fouls and Misconduct clearly states that an indirect free-kick should be given if a player impedes or obstructs an opponent.
    The Law goes on to state: ‘Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.
    ‘Shielding a ball is permitted.
    ‘A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offence as long as the ball is kept within playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body.’"

Source:https://plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk...orgotten-rule/

Put simply, as long as the player doing the shielding is able to touch the ball it's not obstruction.

Edit: As there is no mention of having to have touched the ball we can assume there is no need to touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    "FIFA Law 12 – Fouls and Misconduct clearly states that an indirect free-kick should be given if a player impedes or obstructs an opponent.
    The Law goes on to state: ‘Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.
    ‘Shielding a ball is permitted.
    ‘A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offence as long as the ball is kept within playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body.’"

Source:https://plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk...orgotten-rule/

Put simply, as long as the player doing the shielding is able to touch the ball it's not obstruction.

Edit: As there is no mention of having to have touched the ball we can assume there is no need to touch it.
    That's the rule I'd like to see changed.

I think it would have the opposite effect from making the game more open. It would increase space in the middle of the park and decrease it towards the goal areas. Dull games are rarely dull because of teams playing an effective offside trap.

Surely it’s totally different. When a ball is played up to a forward he is attempting to control it and do something with it. In the other situation a defender is making no attempt to play the ball while obstructing an opponent.

It would make the pitch bigger, these days players are much fitter and close the spaces down quickly as observed by a previous poster, I'd like to see it trialled in one of the cups.

Also the size of the goals. These dimensions are from Victorian times when players were a few inches shorter and as you say, much less fit.

That's what happens just now though. The most obvous being when trying to play out the final few minutes where an attacker takes the ball to the corner flag and stands with his back to the defender. The thing is though he's already touched the ball.
    I get that's what happens just now, which means there's no difference to the treatment of attackers and defenders. What you're suggesting would create a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Surely it’s totally different. When a ball is played up to a forward he is attempting to control it and do something with it. In the other situation a defender is making no attempt to play the ball while obstructing an opponent.
    The defender is trying to do something with it as well - he's trying to win a goal kick in circumstances where he feels that's to his team's advantage.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Not when the forward is just trying to run down the clock.

Edit: Or indeed when the forward is letting the ball run out for a corner.
    Last edited by mal; 14-06-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    Not when the forward is just trying to run down the clock.
    Yes, but ordinarily the forward will have touched the ball before shielding it.

First Team Breakthrough
    Yes, but ordinarily the forward will have touched the ball before shielding it.
    I think I edited my post while you were posting yours to include my point about forwards shielding the ball to allow it to run out for a corner.

Folks, the thread was about the offside rule possibly making the pitch bigger, how did it morph into obstruction?

Folks, the thread was about the offside rule possibly making the pitch bigger, how did it morph into obstruction?
    Because in any discussion, one thing will lead to another. At least we're still on about rule changes we'd like to see to improve the game.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    That's what happens when posters are allowed to run the thread out for a goal kick without touching the original topic.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    That's what happens when posters are allowed to run the thread out for a goal kick without touching the original topic.

First Team Breakthrough

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    I remember they played with that same adjusted offside in the League Cup in !974, suited attacking teams. I remember Hibs v Rangers at ER, Arthur Duncan stayed upfield and patrolled the 18 yard Line, Scotlands player of the year,Sandy Jardine was given the job of marking him, Arthur kept switching from Left wing to Right Wing, Jardine had to keep chasing him, got P****d off as he couldnt keep up with Arthur, was arguing with Jock Wallace to get him to put somebody on the other side to share his workload. Hibs won 3-1 that day, and went on to reach the Final, losing 6-3 to Celtic, who had a great attacking team as well at that time.
    I think we won the first Two Dryburgh Cups, both against Celtic , 5 - 3 and 1 - 0. It was a league cup final we lost 6 - 3 if my memory is still working.
    i certainly remember Arthur running the legs off the Rangers defenders with his tactics.
    Last edited by greenginger; 14-06-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    I think we won the first Two Dryburgh Cups, both against Celtic , 5 - 3 and 1 - 0. It was a league cup final we lost 6 - 3 if my memory is still working.
    i certainly remember Arthur running the legs off the Rangers defenders with his tactics.
    It was the League Cup final in 1974. Joe Harper scored a hat-trick and Deans did likewise for Celtic. A dull, boring defensive match!